Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Any Effects File experts out there?

A bgl isn't readable text, but references to files in one are, so you can search a mdl or bgl just like any other file for an ASCII text string. As I noted, you will want to try both upper and lower case. I've used this method when I've found the odd stray bitmap and want to know what bgl is referencing it. Now it's possible when it comes to effects the .FX extension is assumed in a mdl or bgl, so as a last resort you might want to search for "EFFECTS" only.-John

Guest baksteen33

Hi Paul, John raised an valid point, AI-AC. That could be cause case you for example use FS9 AI-AC in FSX. As Johan mentioned, an occasional FileMon message causes no harm. If your action solved your OOM message and that's all you were trying to achieve, great. :-) Looking forward to your results, kind regards Jaap

So when I did a string search within the files of the entire FS directory if a mdl or bgl file had a reference it would have been returned. The only thing I didn't do was drop the .FX from my search. I can try that real quickly now though... Is there anything specific I need to do when I search?-PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledAMD FX-57 @ 3 gigsAsus A8NSLI-Premium2 gigs Corsair XMS PC3500LL 2 3 2 6 1TXFX 7900 GTX 690/1750XFX 7800 GTX 515/135024 inch Widescreen LCDDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1khttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7800 GTX 515/1350 Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

OK, did another search, the only thing I got was a bunch of docs. Something caught my eye though, it was a readme from an AI plane that MT2006 must have installed. In the readme for the IL86 it specifically says for FS2k2 and that all effects can be used. I am just wondering if this could be what is calling for the Effect? No mdl or bgl files were returned...PaulPrimary RigLiquid CooledAMD FX-57 @ 3 gigsAsus A8NSLI-Premium2 gigs Corsair XMS PC3500LL 2 3 2 6 1TXFX 7900 GTX 690/1750XFX 7800 GTX 515/135024 inch Widescreen LCDDual 19 inch LCD'sRaid-0+1PCPower and Cooling 1khttp://home.comcast.net/~psolk/3monitorsa.htmlBackup RigAMD 4000 San Diego @ 2.72 Gigs Kingston Corsair XMS CL2XFX 7800 GTX 515/1350 Raid-0psolk.jpg

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guest baksteen33

Hi Paul, MT doesn't install any effects apart from a couple for the A330-6th. The other models all use standard effects AFAIK. Which version of MT2006 are you running? Original, SP1 or SP2? How did the test go? Kind regards Jaap

Hi Jaap,Thanks again :) MT2006 sp2 and the test failed. I got the OOM again last night. Time to remove all add-on scenery....Soooo frustrating!Thanks again Jaap,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guest baksteen33

Hi Paul, indeed. Please, don't uninstall, etc. Just uncheck the checkboxes in the 'Scenery library' dialog and perhaps set your traffic to 0%? Well, you were probably going to do this anyway. 'Remove' sounds very dramatic. :-) My next step - if the situation doesn't alter - would be a look at the effects with FSM (analyze AC function). Please note though, that FSM possibly reports a couple of false positives. Another possibility could be, to do an intermediate step and only enable AI? Thinking of AI as a scenery that is. :-) The MyWorldAirports scenery entry is necessary to populate the skies. Again looking forward to your results, Paul. Good luck Jaap

Hi Jaap,Just a quick heads up that I haven't had any time to work on this for the past few days. TBH, I have sort of lost the desire to spend hours and hours troubleshooting. I disabled AI, no change, I added a dummy effects.fx file, no change so the only thing left is scenery including the MYTraffic.bgl but I need at least a full day or two to start troubleshooting so it could be a while. That is if I even decide to try again...I just did not want to let this thread die without thanking you again and at least giving you some sort of update with all the help you have been offering.Thanks again Jaap,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guest aarskringspier

Its something buried deep within and without some inside help with it its something thats most likely unsolveable. Ah well was fun workin on it with ya Paul!!

You too Randy, Hope you have a great weekend... So much for FS9 LOL...-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Guest baksteen33

Hi Paul, Randy, sorry to hear the two of you haven't worked it out. Unfortunately, I'm unaware of a MyTraffic.bgl. Is it maybe an older version? Nowadays, there should be six bgls with names like mytrafficcargo.bgl, mytrafficline.bgl, etc. You might know I'm 'fairly' familiar with MyTraffic. So, I'm very keen to learn whether this problem might be related or not. Also, old version or not! :-) There was a little issue a while ago with one of the airbusses (A330-6th) calling an fx-file and if memory isn't failing, it was solved ca 12 months ago. If your copy of MT is older than that, you might not even have that particular model. I'm totally positive the fx-call you mentioned and which was the cause of this thread, is not contained in MyTraffic. Please send me an PM/email when you decide to continue and/or keep me posted and/or let me know if you have further questions. I'm certain we can work it out, MyTraffic related or not. Thanks for the feedback, lads. Good luck and kind regards Jaap

Hi Paul, I am wondering if you found the source of your missing .fx file? Oddly enough, tonight I added some PAI packages along with converting my aircraft textures to DXT1 and found that at KORD I was stuttering badly. Fired up filemon only to find the repeated entry of FS9/EFFECTS/Fx_Stobex.FX - NOT FOUND along with EFFECTS.CAB.I replaced my backup 32bit textures and searched a backup copy of FS9 for the file, but cannot find it anywhere and nothing helped. I am going to uninstall the PAI packages one by one (tomorrow) and will see if I can locate the culprit. Maybe there is a common issue here?? Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.9's6x Adaptive AA/16x HQ A/FIntegrated SoundDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

Guest baksteen33

Hi Kendall, if you see these kind of instances there are often a couple. Case you know the origin of the call, it's usually ok to take one of the almost identical fx-files, re-name and create a new one, or edit the AC.cfg to change the call. A third possibility is downloading the original AI-AC including the fx-files. FWIW, I'ld choose option-3. @ Paul, silly me forgot to mention some fixed MT2006 v.4.0-SP2 Afcads. You can find them here: http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?...36f838e7b81f97cSorry. They obviously won't be a cure for the fx-calls, but just to technically exclude an Afcad is causing havoc. :-) Kind regards Jaap

>Hi Kendall, if you see these kind of instances there are>often a couple. Case you know the origin of the call, it's>usually ok to take one of the almost identical fx-files,>re-name and create a new one, or edit the AC.cfg to change the>call. A third possibility is downloading the original AI-AC>including the fx-files. FWIW, I'ld choose option-3. >>>@ Paul, silly me forgot to mention some fixed MT2006 v.4.0-SP2>Afcads. You can find them here: >>http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?...36f838e7b81f97c>>Sorry. They obviously won't be a cure for the fx-calls, but>just to technically exclude an Afcad is causing havoc. :-) >>Kind regards >>Jaap Hello Jaap, I originally just changed the .fx file (a strobe) because I couldn't locate the call, then ironically, I was directed toa gate at LAX right next to the offending AI aircraft. I edited the .CFG and it worked like a charm.Luckily it was only one plane causing the trouble ;-). You were right on the mark! Many thanks for the help. Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.9's6x Adaptive AA/16x HQ A/FIntegrated SoundDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

Hi everyone.I just wanted to return with an update. You can check the UT forums if you want to follow the progress however it appears I was able to narrow things down and eventually find the culprit. The end result is the HL*.bgl files in UTUSA which Per Holger S. are the associated coastline vectors that call effects files.Again, Per Holger"I looked at a couple of the UTUSA files with LWMViewer and there is a bit of "garbeled" code in some of the texture/effect calls, for example:VTPTexName2 label wordVTPTextureName "UtRockSu.bmp;UtRockHw.bmp;UtRockSu.bmp;UtRockSu.bmp;UtRockSu.bmp;UTRockLm.bmp"VTPTextureType 2, 1, 0, 4BYTE "S",0Notice the last line, which should contain an effect name in parantheses (usually "lakewavecontroller" or "wavecontroller".It's possible that this particular texture was not supposed to have an associated effect (e.g., lake or river) but then VTPTextureType should read 2, 0, 0, 4 to avoid FS expecting an effect file name.Maybe if FS can't make sense of the stuff between the parantheses it uses a 'generic' "effects.fx" name as the effect file it is looking for, and that effect obviously doesn't exist? That's speculation though.I guess the first test would be to temporarily remove the HL*.bgl files from UTUSAscenery and check whether the odd effect calls disappear.Cheers, Holger" end quote...I have since removed the HL*.bgl's and confirmed so we are now waiting on a next step but I do appear to have found a long standing issue with UT that has caused some of us endless headaches...Just an update,Cheers,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk