Sign in to follow this  
Guest PalmerFan4Life

Is it theoretically possible to take images from google...

Guest PalmerFan4Life

Hey, Everyone I was just chatting with an old buddy of mine and came across the idea of transfering imagies from google earth to FS9 and making an entire photoreal replica of the earth but is this theoretically possible?- Ryan

In theory it is possible, if you have about a thousand years' bandwidth to do the image retrieval and processing. I did a project for western Phoenix, and that project took weeks.-John

When you look at GE, you see the colors are all over the place. And some places where I think they are using a landsat image (where better data apparently isn't available) I think looks poor. Another aspect of the problem is that using GE images will give a "picture" of water areas, but they won't be landable, without processing the image to allow "flight sim" water to show through. Some other things, like shorelines that have the "surf" effect may or may not be important to you. Also, there's no autogen objects, though again for some people that might not matter.scott s..