Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTEK99

Flying Payware/Freeware AC without Perf Tables

Guest JTEK99

I've had a question brewing for some time on this. :)I fly FMC-enabled ac (PMDG, LD, PSS, etc) which calculate V-speeds and such; in other cases, I often fly vintage liners which -- while not having FMCs to do the calculations -- come with great tables that allow me to get the information manually (e.g., DF727).However, I recently purchased some "lite" aircraft from Overland/Simmer's Sky (a whole range of Airbuses/Boeings) which do the job they're meant to do: provide some entertainment with great exterior visuals, but not meant to be "serious" in the way more complex aircraft addons are. Here's the glitch: none of these aircraft come with any performance charts, so calculating at least semi-proper flap/approach/takeoff speeds is somewhat of a guess.My question: what do you do when you purchase (or download free) these kinds of aircraft without perf charts? Is there somewhere I can get this information easily? Or is it common to merely guess at this stuff and just use some generic V-speeds?Any info/links would be greatly appreciated!

One suggestion is to take a look in the aircraft.cfg file - it will often give the stall speeds for various configuration. Use the full flap stall speed plus 10 kias for approach and you will be close, unless you are landing with maximum fuel (in which case add another 10 to 20 kias)Another way is to do a test flight and do an approach to stall at the lowest altitude you can still recover. Do this with gear down and various flap configurations and a normal and heayweight configuration - you can build your own performance tables.Dale

Dale

Guest JTEK99

Dale:Thanks for these two suggestions; they're great! I can build my own perf tables for some of these aircraft using the methods you described. Thanks again!

You can also check the library for the author Matt Zagoren.He has uploaded performance procedures on numerous aircraft.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest JTEK99

Kerosene31:Hey... major thanks for the reference to Matt Zagoren's packages. They are just what I was looking for (and include quite a number of aircraft I was looking for). Fantastic packages!Thanks again!