Sign in to follow this  
Peter Z KCLE_EDDN

OT - Winzip slow?!

Hi there,I'not quite sure where this post fits, so here it goes ;-)I just recently formatted my aging system and I'm slowly getting up and running again. The one thing I don't remember from prior to my formatting is Winzip 10.0 (unregisterd trial for now) is extremely slow unpacking bmp's and wav's?!I don't remember it being so slow. Is there an option that can influence that?I don't have my virusscanner installed yet, but WinXP is up-to-date with SP2.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Cheers,Peterhttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifAMD64-3400,1GB/3200DDRAM,WinXP(SP2),DirectX9.0c,Geforce6800(128MB)(Det.84.21), CH Yoke/Pedals

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

OK, not much help, but why do you use winzip in the first place?I've used the Win XP compression thingy for years and really see no need for another similar tool.

Cheers

Paul Golding

Guest jgreth123

I use RAR compression over ZIP compression myself so that's why I use WinRAR. ( RAR is a tighter compression than ZIP )Plus I love the simple folder drag & drop interface. WinZip has the paths laid out in text format making viewing the contents/extracting individual portions very much a pain.WinRAR is one tool that I use very often and have gladly paid to register it.

Same problem here, very strange. Thought it had to do with my online/real time virus scanner, but nope. Stopped all related services but that didn't do he trick. Have you tried the winzip forums?There are however a lot of pay and freeware alternatives. Indeed WinRar is very good (and you can try it for a long time)but in my experience much slower unpacking large files. Also there's 7-Zip from www.7-zip.org or ShellZip or ZipGenius or..or...:)Rob "Holland&Holland" de Vries http://fool.exler.ru/sm/fly2.gif"To go up, pull the stick back. To go down, pull the stick back harder"

RobdeVries.jpg

Guest rpjkw1155

Winzip is slow because Win XP is checking each file for 'safety' as it unzips. As a work around, right click on the unzipped file, click 'Properties', then click 'UnBlock' at the bottom. Then simply unzip as usual. You'll have to do this with every Win Zipped file.Hope this helps.Bob