Sign in to follow this  
Guest ThrottleUp

The dreaded "texture cross" has returned after UT

Guest ThrottleUp

Hello everyone.I have just installed Ultimate Terrain USA and its doing everything that the tin says. Execpt for one problem - this:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/Thr...TcrossYuck1.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/Thr.../TcrossYuck.jpgIts that cursed FS9 "texture cross". This thing haunts me the most in FS9 and it has caused me problems in the past but I had fixed those. Before Ultimate Terrain this "cross" was still there but you could hardly notice it because it blended in so well with the surrounding landscape. But now after installing UT...:( Well the pictures speak for themselves. Flying at high altitude looks awful now :(This time I cannot fix it except by restoring by backed-up textures (and uninstalling UT)...something I dont want to do.Please can you all help? From the screenshots I see hardly anyone else seems to have this problem! Thanks :)

Try replacing your 'detail1.bmp' with the original from the FS9 CD (CD4 I think)It looks like you have a replacement version installed if my memory serves me correctly.Do you have REP installed? This changes the above mentioned file.Let us know if it works.Glenn

'detail1.bmp' Just curious--I have not heard of this bitmap before. What is it used for and where is it located after install?-John

Thanks, I found the bitmap and opened it in DXTBMP, but it was just a small, grayish pattern. I am curious what this bitmap does in relation to MSFS.-John

John,Copied from an old thread:"What seems to be responsible is the detail1.bmp file which you will find in your fs9/scenery/world/texture folder. This file holds the ground detail (i.e. grass) and also contrast of all ground textures as it is superimposed on the other textures. FS only applies this effect to a limited number of tiles around your position so this effect will become visible at altitude.You will clearly see the effect this file has if you fly at an altitude of about 5000 feet and set the slider of land detail to none (as opposed to land only or land sea). The effect of tiles lighting up as you approach them will be gone. Put your slider to land only and you will have this effect!Unfortunately you will then also have no ground detail! The effect is more pronounced with reality pack textures because I have tweaked the detail1.bmp to look more like real sunlight and to improve contrast of ground textures. You might want to check out the alternative detail1.bmp included in the realdetail/weak folder; this file has a lesser effect, but still a bit more than default. If you want keep RP textures but don't like this effect, just open the FS9 installation Disk 4 using the Explorer, there you will find the fs9/scenery/world/texture folder. Extract the detail1.bmp file from there to your equivalent FS9 installation folder. (see cab.txt file included in reality pack for complete cab list).I don't think you can get rid of this effect except by further reducing the contrast of the detail1.bmp file; however this will also make everything look "flat" and your scenery will not have an illusion of depth."Glenn

Guest ThrottleUp

Thank you all for your replies. I do not have REP but I am trying out the idea of replacing the detail1.bmp. I have also posted on the UT forum so Im hoping that I will be able to find a solution.Whats baffling is that I can see that *none* of you all here on Avsim (or the other FS9 sites) seem to have this problem! I can tell that because I do not see it in all your screenshots and neither have I seen a thread about this from another person!Its a horrid feeling because I have spent money on BEV & all three Ultimate Terrains and my sim gets this:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/Thr.../TcrossYuck.jpgBut when I *disable* BEV & UT the land looks normal:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v630/Thr...scr013Small.jpgI really like BEV and I love how all the roads appear with UT but right now I cant use them cuz that silly blocky shape keeps following the plane and ruins the land :(I know theres nothing wrong with these products because like I said earlier - none of you guys have this problem. So it must be something silly I have done.

Hi,I would suggest a fresh install of your texture folder and then a reinstall of the products.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

Guest ThrottleUp

-----------------------------------------------I would suggest a fresh install of your texture folder and then a reinstall of the products.-----------------------------------------------You read my mind...I was just doing that when I read your reply! Will let you all know how it goes :) *fingers crossed*

Guest LONEDOVE

Hi,I had the same problem, and solved by going to the BEV configurator and highlighting the "DEFAULT CENTURY OF FLIGHT" box and appying it..got rid of the problem right away !! Try it and let me know.JimMesa, Arizona

Guest ThrottleUp

-----------------------------------------------I had the same problem, and solved by going to the BEV configurator and highlighting the "DEFAULT CENTURY OF FLIGHT" box-----------------------------------------------Thats real interesting :) Im not sure how to do it though. Which option do you choose in the "Select Theme" box? Or do you mean to say that I need to create a theme and then apply the default setting for every texture option? I only have BEV Vol.1 Summer...Thanks!!

Guest LONEDOVE

Hi again,OK..try this...go to your BEV configurator, open it and look at the first box on the left on top, it says "DEFAULT".click on it and it will get a red line around the box..then go over to the right side and click on APPLY.....exit the configerator and see if your problem went away ??..Do let me know..worked like a champ for me ??Good luck !JimMesa, Arizona

Activate extended textures. That's basically all you can do about this cross. Thing is, the more subtle the textures, the more they blend in. That line you see is not UT. It's only your ground texture package. BEV or GEPro. I do have it and I try to mask it using some haze and visility limiting. It helps.

I have a question:I installed REP and really like the darker water textures, but I only get those darker textures around the aircraft and the distant textures are the default ones, the lighter blue colors. Just like the screen shot posted here. Does anyone know why?Thanks