Sign in to follow this  
Guest tpower

RANT: re MS & Netscape 2.0... ignore if you wish

Guest tpower

Hi all,I am putting this out after downloading the lovely Bahamas scenery from Freeflow which required an installation of MS Net 2.0. Let me exclude Freeflow from my rant because they are some real generous people and I am grateful to them. Thanks guys; please leave the room.Moving to the NW.... why does MS put out stuff, like NET 2.0, or one might even say FSX, which is so flawed and in conflict with existing systems? Do I need to send an error report to Microsoft when my measly system is representative of millions around the world? You didn't know this would mess up my Quicktime video? What am I; some guinea pig? I blew off FSX because I was cautious and cynical (true), but now this Net 2.0 even has so many bugs you already know you need an error report?Rant.... sorry, have to put it somewhere. Editors, please relocate if this is inappropriate. I read once that someone said a lack of competition breeds complacency. Oleg in the house?Furious, but still like FS9,Tosh

I do think you need to get your terminology right. "Netscape" is not Net 2.0. Netscape is a web browser, one which is not a Microsoft product. Net 2.0 is an application framework. I think you're trying to stand on a podium and post a rant just as your title says. But it just blends in to any one of a million posts I've seen which seem put on this earth more to gripe at Microsoft than identify an issue, fix the issue, and help members here.-John

Guest tpower

Yep, I am trying to rant. Said it so, straight up. Yep, my system was FUBAR after installing NET 2.0. My terminology may be incorrect (Netscape and NET 2.0 are different things). You are right. I apologise for being uninformed and mis-speaking. But the above still holds true. My system was FUBAR after installing an OMP, that is an original manufacturer's patch and I will not apologise for that.; If you "have to blend that into one of a million posts" (as you say) then perhaps those million posts aren't half wrong?Who is out of step here? You, or the the other million posters?Cheers,Tosh

After seeing Al's response to your other post in the other thread, the jury's out. Sounds like some aren't getting "FUBAR'd" with Net 2.0. I guess they are just lucky to be outta step :)-JohnEdit: BTW I've worked Development (nope, don't work for Microsoft, and yep, they ain't perfect) since the 80's. I don't need education in acronyms, but am amused when I see them and always chuckle at FUBAR--for some reason it reminds me of the Futars in the Dune series.

Guest JTEK99

>I don't need education in acronyms, but am amused when I see>them and always chuckle at FUBAR--for some reason it reminds>me of the Futars in the Dune series."It is by will alone I set my mind in motion..." - The Gom Jabbar of FSX JTEK99, Flightsimming Ghola

Guest PPSFA

You can uninstall it in Add/Remove programs

Guest jgreth123

or more commonly....F*cked Up Beyond All Recognition

I don't know how many times I'v seen such a post on many forums. Whats up with this, I run Net 2.0 on every machine I've got. 3 work machines and 3 here at home.... what gives, I run business apps, flight sims and Graphics software on most of them, no probs,,,,,, I've yet to see any of these posts say what the Net framework has done. Please enlighten us as to the problems caused?Cheers, JimC.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

Jim,I'm with you.I've been running 2.0 since it came out with no problems. I suspect that it is a system-specific problem, or may not be a 2.0 problem at all.Seems like a lot of us may have system-specific configurations that can cause problems. I, for example, cannot upgrade to XP Service Pack 2. I paid the MS Support fee, but even MS Support finally gave up (plus, refunded my fee). Fortunately, that means that I missed the, uh, opportunity to upgrade to FSX. FSIX is working fine on my system, so I will just keep it that way.But ranting won't cure my problem, either.My next Vista system will probably take care of any existing problems. Of course, you can also count on some having problems with that, as well. Part of living with computers, I suppose.Wilson

Guest SilverCircle

I really cannot see how Net.2 should be able to screw up a system, if installed properly. It is a fairly stable product, installed on millions of systems..NET is an application framework - like any other software, it certainly has its bugs and some of them are ugly (i know this, because as a software developer, I'am working a lot with .NET). But because it is only a framework, these bugs will, in most cases, only affect applications using it.