Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

TextureMaxLoad in FS9 -- Does work for me!

I stumbled on a reference to this entry in a thread in the screenshot forum, having missed earlier tips and pointers to it I found in a subsequent search of the forum.I have always left my fps in FS9 unlocked because, unlike FS2002, locking them down didn't seem to make a bit of difference. I also found (and tolerated for a long time) that on jet flights, my textures would gradually start struggling to stay clear and would take forever to clear. Only once I started to slow for final did the textures clear a bit.After seeing references to TextureMaxLoad (not to be confused with Texture_Max_Load also used in the FS9.cfg), I decided to try the tweak and lock my fps. I noticed an immediate difference--the textures seem to stay "caught up" much better now. Also a fringe benefit, cloud textures that periodically refresh don't seem to bog the sim down for as long.Here's a link to Steve Lacey's blog and it also explains why the fps lock has to be used in conjunction with the tweak.http://www.steve-lacey.com/blogarchives/20..._stutters.shtmlSorry to say I read that blog once, and the significance of the tweak went right over me. But it makes a difference on my humble system, and combined with my use of Filemon last week to nail down the memory leak I was having, FS9 is a sim transformed on my very humble equipment. Back to flying now! -John[DISPLAY]UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=25TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=100TextureMaxLoad=10

Hi John,I discovered this tweak myself about a month ago and like you it transformed my FS9 experience. Blurries are a thing of the past and I keep the framerate locked at 30.Only an overcast day at LHR plus 100% AI makes me drop a single FPS!!Fantastic......

Guest neslesman

It worked very well for me too, so much so that I'm surprised we haven't heard more. It's probably only because there has been so much FSX attention of late.

I've tried this too and also seen an improvement in frame rates (about 10%) and more focussed scenery. My PC is getting on - only a 2MHz Celeron and on-board graphics. I use UK VFR Scenery and Terrain and generally fly GA.

Thankyou for the heads up John!It made a significant difference to me. :-jumpy

Yes, I saw a thread on this a while back. I'm not one of those people who spends a ton of time tweaking, but I gave this change a spin and it has really had dramatic improvements in fs9. Not more FPS really, but overall things are smoother and much less blurries. I only see blurries when I accelerate time up to 16x or so, which is a great improvement. You'd think after all this time, we'd have this thing tweaked to perfection by now... :)

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest ianrivaldosmith

wasnt my post you seen it in by any chance was it :(Ian

I actually just reduced my TextureMaxLoad setting to 8 from 10 and it's even better now. Don't ask me why though.....Just seems to play nicer with my FPS locked at 30.Glenn

I have a feeling we'll play with the numbers and see such differences depending on our systems. Since 3 is the default, I will probably try a range between 3 and 15 over time and see if I notice any improvement at higher speeds. Seems I have things pretty sharp at speeds < 150 kts or so, but at higher speeds there's still some room for experimenting.-John

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,What an amazing tip!Thanks for the info.Andy.