Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rooks

New to FS series

Guest Rooks

Hi guys!I'm pretty (very) new to the series as my wife just bought me FS2004, not sure that FSX would run on my PCI usually fly F4AF, LOMAC & IL-2, but wanted something a bit different. Now I'm in way over my head.. pretty fun but the learning curve is steep. I'm not even sure what settings I should have things set to.I have a modest system so anyone willing to help me starting out would be great, ie what things should I have, recommended tweaks or joystick profiles etcMy system, Amd 64 3500+, 1Gb ream, 6600GT, 17" LCD, saitek x52.Looking forward to some fun challengesThanks

Guest BrianFletcher

If you have the means to do so I would recommend getting yourself a flight yoke and a set of rudder pedals. I can't speak for everyone, but my CH yoke and pedals have increased the realism a lot for me.

Guest Rooks

Thanks but my x52 is still relatively new and am happy with it, I don't want to fork out for another just for this sim. Next on the list would be TrackIR probably, maybe rudder pedals further down the line.Can anyone give me an idea of what settings my system would be able to run, roughly? At the moment I'm slowly working my way through the pilot training, so if you have any tips or advice please let me know.

Hi Rooks,Check this forum and you will find a lot of tips for FS9 (and FSX)http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=177Use this topic as your starting point:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...sg_id=676&page=

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Welcome to you.Yes there is a lot to learn in flightsim BUT! thats what makes it so good i have been at it or years now and i still have got plenty to learn(more than plenty)but as you manage a little bit more its very rewarding.I personally think your right not to bother with flight yokes and fancies like this at the moment(I still use an ordinary joystick).I don't really no about whats best for your system(believe me you wont be short of advice there)but it would be useful if you could let us now what your set up comprises of.If you look at the settings part of flight sim you may want to use the default settings(thats the one the sim thinks is best for your setup)but of course you are free to try any settings and see what happens(you cant do any harm)BUT!a word of warning once you start to fiddle with different settings you will have started down the the long and seemingly never ending road to the ailment that strikes all simmers AGGH!TWEAKING the endless search for sim nirvana ie the defeat of the stutters, the ending of the blurries and the downfall of the jaggies amongst just a few.One final warning IF you are still simming in a month or two for now you will probably be hopelessly hooked.(If married then beware marriage could get in the way of important things like SIMMING)PS You would do well to join a VA because you will find lots of fellow enthusiasts only to willing to help you and although the bias is towards large jet aircraft its still worth doing for the knowledge base.Two good ones i can recommend are Euroharmony and Fly UK virtual(plug plug)but there are hundreds out there.cheers And welcome THE hobby.Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Before I forget:MAKE SURE, you disable/uncheck the anti aliasing in FS2004, and enable it via your graphics driver.The native AA in FS2004 will slow down your system noticebly (English?)

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

>Thanks but my x52 is still relatively new and am happy with>it, I don't want to fork out for another just for this sim.I prefer my Saitek X52 too. Had the X45 before it.Besides, it helps get's you use to switching hands for throttle & yoke/stick! :) Perhaps you'll end up in a tandum seating setup (Piper Cub) someday with throttle on the left and stick on the right.L.Adamson

Get that TrackIR definitely.It's the single best investment in FlightSim you can make.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

First of all, welcome to FS9 !Your system should run FS9 and it's add-ons just fine.The main things to consider adding are new airplanes and scenery.There are lots of choices.. just have a quick look at the Avsim reviews as an example.If you are training in the Cessna 172, I would recommend downloading the (free) improved flight model for the C172.Look under "downloads" at www.realairsimulations.com RealAir is one of many companies that make great add-on aircraft.Also look for scenery in the Avsim library (again free).. Holger Sandmann has released some fabulous scenery packages. Also in many areas, free mesh upgrades can be found that significantly upgrade the detail of the hills and mountains without really impacting performance.Lastly, try the default Piper Cub for the sheer fun of it. It is a hoot to fly. ps. If you do like the Cub, here is a nice repaint package from the Avsim library: search for piperkittens.zip

Bert

Guest neslesman

Being a relative newcomer myself (5 months and more addicted than ever) I suggest the go slow route and getting your feet wet with the many freeware add ons to airports, regions, utility programs and aircraft. There is a ton of stuff out there. In the Avsim library you can see the most popular downloads as measure by # of downloads and "hot files lists" and that's a good place to start your collection. Work on your home region or favourite region for starter by searching the library.I think the first payware add ons with the most bang for the buck without a doubt should be mesh (try out some of the freeware stuff at FS Genesis to see the effects, I've opted for 76M mesh for the whole world. The library currently has a great mesh offering for Chile with many downloads to get it all. Ultimate Terrain for the US, Canada and Europe are my favourite second add on and then GEPro for textures. With those three things most of the world looks great right off the bat. Most people get a weather program (Active Sky for one) as their next must have but I find weather is the last thing on my mind while I'm sightseeing and learning to fly well.From there search for threads here regarding some of the must have freeware aircraft and sceneries, there are a dozen and more freebies that are probably way better than your average payware plane and they can keep you busy for a very long time. Lots of payware does not live up to it's billing so take your time and research the forums and reviews before you buy.For first time scenery add ons I've found the Misty Moorings, Tongass Fjords, the Georender series, Portland by FS Addon have given me tons of pleasure for North West bush and GA flying. From there it just goes on and on and on and on and on.Oh yes, I couldn't be without FSNavigator, it works great and adds a whole new element to your planning and flying and navigating.Have fun, that's the important thing.Edit: I second the Holger Sandmann tip, his payware and freebies are just great.

Guest Rooks

Thanks for all the help & supportIt's nice when you find a good simming communityYeah that disease of tweaking has got to be the worst part of flight simming :D I tend to spend more time setting them up than flying.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,I only started with FS9 and am now addicted.Hopelessly.I have some freeware aircraft,and there are loads of panels and gauges to add, but the main thing I've found is freeware mesh as that really adds.there is so much to fiddle about with-- the weather for instance is extraordinary-- you seem to be able to create any kind of situation you want with the default and ther are bound to be really interesting threads here about everything.Charles Woods over on.... www.dc3airways.com....has an wonderful book (it is really) for download about aerial navigation and it's history and I'm still reading it 3 years later.Good Searching to you.Andy.