Sign in to follow this  
Guest Northy

Texture Problem......BIG one!

Guest Northy

Hi,Something has happened to my ground textures all of a sudden.After flying for about ten minutes my ground textures become so blurry they are un recognisable...Dont know why this has started to happen.Could my graphics card be on its way out?I,ve got Ground Enviroment running but its been ok up untill about a week ago,I,ve also deleted any scenery I installed over the last few days and deleted my cfg and let it build a new one but to no avail......Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.Thanks,Regards,Martin.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,I've also had this problem and I have no real idea what it relates to. Something I've added which doesn't agree with the sim I guess. As I put in another post- Ive gone back to the default start situation and let that fire up before moving to anything else; BUT the main thing I have done the last few times this has happened in the last two weeks is to do a system restore and this appears to work until I fiddle about again and muck it up! Then I do another system restore. It only takes a minute to do. Andy. It happened again today, but after a system restore the sim worked normally for the 30 mins I was on it. Hope this helps a bit.A.

Guest Northy

Hi,Thanks for the reply.Yea its a strange one,I've done asystem restore today but to no avail I'm afraid.I'll double check I've deleted everything I've added over the past few days.ThanksMartin.

I have a similar situation happening too. My FS9 was running very smoothly. All of a sudden as of yesterday evening I have pauses, I mean looooong pauses that are teeing me off. I was only messing with my planes, not scenery. I have removed my traffic.bgls and it didn't help. There was a MS update night before last that automatically installed.Other than that, I don't know what could have happened and am going to try a backup/reinstall later today.dolph

Wierd, but I began to have this problem too about 2 weeks ago. I found a problem with an offending WOAI aircraft and a missing effects file which was causing stutters. I haven't done any updates from MS, so that isn't it for me. I've gone so far as to remove the TextureMaxLoad=10 line from my config and that has helped with the pauses, but now my scenery seems more blurry (than it was before the tweak).I'm wondering, did all of you install the ATI catalyst 6.10 drivers, by chance? Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.9's6x Adaptive AA/16x HQ A/FIntegrated SoundDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

Funny you should mention that ATI catalyst thingy.The other day I used a program called Autoruns and found some stuff that I thought I could turn off. Some of these things had the phrase "ati" in them and because I have an NVidea card I thought I could get away with it. Wrong. I was experiencing display problems every single time I shut down FS9 I got a "report this problem to MS?" prompt. So I turned it all back on and the problem is gone. MS loads fast and seems to shut down cleanly. NEWay, about 6 months ago I attempted to upgrade my video to an ATI (9800 I think) and installed its drivers. I was unhappy with the new card and returned it, going back to my trusty 6800. Do you suppose that there are remnants of these drivers that are affecting my system in some way? I have heard of a tool that removes these drivers but am hesitant to use it because my system is pretty stable and I don't want to muck it up.BTW, my pauses seem to relate to the area I am flying in. If I fly at KDFW my framerates are pretty consistently 20-25 and little pauses (more like a fast stuttering). But when I fire up NOLF and fly the same bird (a modified V-22 Osprey) I have pauses such that I can't stand it.I know this has nothing to do with graphics blurries but more info can't hurt.dolph

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,This 2 week or so thing is odd as it's about that kind of time scale I've been having troubles. I assumed it was a aeroplane texture or something, but maybe it was an MS update, or Avast as they're always adding bits.Who knows. Just another mystery. good luck to all of us!Andy.

I had a similar problems about 2-3 weeks ago. I reloaded my GEP II package and the problem remained. Turned out that something had reset a number of my ATI perferences. I reset the ATI video parameters back to the manufactuer defaults and then I went back and reselected the settings that I wanted for my video options. After that my problem went away. I hope that this helps.Tom

Hi to everyone. Dolph, I think the program your thinking of is called Driver Cleaner Pro, available here: http://www.drivercleaner.net/. To my knowledge, it is almost imperitive to remove driver remnants when switching from ATI to Nvidia or vice versa. The results if you don't can range from severe lack of perfomance to graphic anomalies to even booting black. Though it is a registry cleaner, it's straight forward and easy to use, so I would highly recommend it and I would backup the registry first and use it in safe mode and uninstall anything related to ATI. Curious, what references to ATI were you seeing and disabling and what did it do to your system?I know I have had some system settings mysteriously change after updating my ATI drivers - such as xp's memory management being switched to prioritizing system cache instead of programs. The system cache setting is supposed to set you up as a server and can potentially lead to system instability and data corruption. I know that ATI has had issues with this in the past.Funny thing is FS9's GUI was always so laggy and slow using any ATI driver from 6.0-6.9 and this was fixed for me with the 6.10's, but I don't know if this new driver is built for speed and is lacking in IQ, or it is something within the sim? I just get some real slow downs occaisonally, especially when I pan in the VC. My FPS will be locked @ 22, no clouds and no reason to stutter, but when I pan I get a "hitch" and frames will drop to around 8 and bounce right back. I might try the latest 6.11's and see if there is any change.

Regards, Kendall

Interesting topic, as I have had similar experiences with my scenery the last couple weeks, and it was driving me a bit 'batty' ;)I thought the 6.10 drivers were probably the best yet, but downloaded the 6.11 and things seemed to improve quite a bit (I was thinking of reinstalling the 6.2 drivers, which my X850XT seem to like). I'll stick with the 6.11 for a while and see what happens. One thing, (for some reason), the 6.10's did to my system was hang my computer on shut-down and re-boot...the 6.11's seem to have 'fixed' that issue as well.Note: I always use the driver cleaner program mentioned, and do not use ATI's Catalyst program, but ATI Tray Tools instead.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,Slightly aaway from the original post,..but..<<>>I try to use that ATItray tools and it tells me I have 4 pipes(?) unused, but doesn't say how to get them running again. In fact I can see from the log that up till recently it was running 8 pipes, so something has changed without any known input from me... and perhaps this is what is affecting the textures and stability generally.Any further thoughts appreciated!Andy.

I'm not a Video Card guru Andy, but ATI Tools only reports that type of info, but can not change that particular setting. AFAIK.This is typically controlled by your Video BIOS. But I would not go and 'Flash' your card until getting further info first.If you are suppose to have 8, and only showing 4 active, that would be quite a 'hit'. Mine shows correctly in ATI Tray Tools at 16.You might try a Video Card/gamers forum and ask there (don't know if ATI has a forum), contact Customer Service at ATI, or perhaps someone here will see this and give you some additional info.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi there,About these pipelines!When I open ATI tools this smaller window opens as well, telling me 4 pipelines are unused and in fact that is an advert which I clicked on and the site says i can unlock the other 4 pipelines to turn my existing Video card into a different one. As I don't understand enough about installing replacement drivers and my FS9 runs OK for me I'll leave that for now!!Andy.

Gotcha. Interesting that ATI Tools does that.But, I think we are mixing up two programs (and it may be my fault), There is ATI Tools, and ATI Tray Tools. I use ATI Tray Tools.There are some cards out there that can unlock unused pipelines via the BIOS, but you must be very careful, and do a fair share of research if thinking about attempting it. You can mess-up the card completely if the BIOS does not take, as far as I understand.This can happen when a card is using a 'left over' processors created for a previous 'higher end' card, but had a portion of the original pipelines cut for new production. My old X800GT was this way. Unfortunately, after doing a bit of research, I realized my extra pipelines could not be opened via a BIOS on my particular card. Some of them could. I could overclock the heck out of it though ;)

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,<<>>I have both on the desktop, but ATI Tray Tools does nothing when I click 'open' and definitely not your fault!!!What troubles me is that this advert has installed itself with the ATITool program. I have no intention of messing with anything as I did this afternoon and the furry square turned violet and lost it's fur. A moment to panic, if ever there was one!Andy.