Sign in to follow this  
Mike S KPDX

forget FSX, but full sliders in FS9??

I was thinking of a systems upgrade in about 6 months to handle a possible change to FSX. But that got me thinking, with FS9 and my current setup I got my FS9 most sliders at about midway with the usual selections of addons.Today got me thinking as I was flying the PMDG 737 and only getting around 9 - 12 fps in the seattle area (vc, no autogen, usaraods, genesis mesh, fsstart, asv, ect...) maybe I should updgrade for FS9 only?Question: is anyone here really running FS9 with high quality addons with the sliders full and getting about 20 fps min or is full sliders even with this 3 year old software also a pipedream?just curiousps, some system info:amd athlon64 3200+ 2280mhz ms-7030 nforce3 250 chipset mobo phx bios agp3.01 gig ddr ramNvidia Geforce 6800 gs/xt 256megcpu and gpu slight overclock about 5-8%

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Mike,while I think FSX may have potential for the future, I had a window of opportunity (wife was in a good mood) to upgrade my current system (see signature). With so many unknowns, DX10, Vista, FSX patch etc. I had to make a decision as to how to take advantage at a time were upgrading is probably not the smartest thing ;-)Anyhow, I decided I'll buy a system that will run FS9 without ever looking at FPS. I've searched, researched, read many posts here and on other forums and it appears the latest technology will run FS9 just fine.Here's the config I'm going for (after reading weeks and weeks of posts on tom's hardware and avsim's hardware forums and some more):GIGABYTE GZ-FA1CA-#### Silver 1.0 mm Aluminum body ATX Full Tower Computer CaseGIGABYTE 120mm Blue LED Light 3D Galaxy II Liquid CoolingENERMAX Galaxy EGA850EWL ATX 850W Power Supply 100 - 240 VNVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel MotherboardIntel Core 2 Duo E6700 1066MHz FSB 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop MemoryGeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card(201)Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCIWestern Digital Raptor 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATAWestern Digital Raptor 150GB 10000RPM 16MB Cache SATARAID 0Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/sWhile this might look like overkill, I thought this will help me achieve my goal of running FS9 maxxed with all possible add-ons, while leaving me some room for future upgrades in case DX10 and Vista will improve FSX performance and/or MS issues a patch that will take advantage of multi core systems. This config could be easily upgraded to quad core, if needed.Hope this helps,Petehttp://members.aol.com/pzsoulman/myhomepage/logo.gifAMD64-3400,1GB/3200DDRAM,WinXP(SP2),DirectX9.0c,Geforce6800(128MB)(Det.84.21), CH Yoke/Pedals

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Mike,I have just upgraded my machine specifically for FSX to the spec shown below, and can confirm that ALL my sliders are now maxed out in FS9 using various freeware and payware scenery, texture and aircraft. The results are excellent, I can now run FS9 as it should be run with excellent frame rates and no stutters and the visuals are superb. I have now got AI aircraft up to 100% using UT and still no problems.Although I get good frame rates in FSX, I just dont like the default scenery textures and will wait for some good addons to appear before I start to really use the new sim. For the time being, I shall be sticking with FS9 until I can afford the mountain of cash required to upgrade FSX to even LOOK like FS9 as I have got it at the moment.Hope this helpscheersKeithASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe MoboAMD Athlon 4200+250Gb SATA driveASUS EN7600GT 256Mb Graphics CardCorsair 2Gb TwinX matched pair DDR2 memory

I have a good friend that reports nearly 50 fps with the PMDG B744 on a fairly cutting-edge Core 2 Duo-based machine. I've been researching the same idea...FS9 on the best hardware available now, and believe that it is in fact true that the hardware needed to really run FS9 to its potential is only now arriving...right alongside the problematic FSX platform that is intended to replace it.Although FS9 can't take full advantage of all the new developments (i.e. DX10 or multi-CPU support) it seems clear that the new Intel CPU architecture, increased memory bandwidth, GPUs etc are now powerful enough to really make FS9 sing...even if only by sheer brute force.I'm in the process of building a powerful new PC with this purpose in mind. Compared to my current 3.0 GHz Pentium 4, 1GB RDRAM and 256MB nVidia 6800, a new system based on an overclocked Intel Core 2 Extreme at ~3.5 GHz, 2 GB of 1066 MHz DDR2 RAM, and a 768 MB 8800GTX GPU is a massive increase in raw power, including a nearly threefold increase in CPU power for the CPU-strapped application that FS9 is known to be.I have to believe that an add-on, like the Eaglesoft Cirrus which struggles to keep its head above water at 18fps on the current system, will really be something to behold at 30 fps and room to spare. All indications are that it's easily possible with the old software running on top of the new technology that's now upon us.There's a giant body of knowledge on Win XP, FS9, and the ton of add-ons made to improve the entire environment. For me the focus has been on squeezing every last bit of performance out of FS9 while keeping a baseline hardware platform for nearly 4 years, with a mid-life video upgrade really the only major upgrade along the way. Tailoring a new install of FS9 on a powerful new system, but this time armed with the benefits of 4+ years of insight gained along the way, seems like the best short-to-mid term course to sim Nirvana.I'll be posting the results here on the hardware forum as my great experiment gets underway.CheersBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Santiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I have all sliders maxed, and frames locked at 30, and it stays pretty close to that most of the time. I have a whole hockey sock full of add-ons.Bill

Guest fruitfly

Sure,I do!My system isAMD 2500+ OC'd to 3600+ (2.4GHz)1.5 Gb no name RAM, latencies something like 3-3-5ATI 9500 non pro GPUAbit NF7Sv2 MBBut I also did according to this:a)http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=25421 b)HDD files placement: <-VERY important!!!http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...g_id=1038&page= c) autoruns: -tool - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx -processes list- http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

I built my new PC this summer (see sig for specs). I built this specifically for FS9, knowing that I was not planning on touching FSX for some time. I still am not ready to max out all the sliders yet. At least where I can get acceptable performance (to me). I'm sure I might be able to squeak out 10-15 fps with the sliders at max, but to me that isn't smooth flying. I personally expect 25+ fps for a smooth sim experience, and that is with traffic, scenery addons, complex aircraft, etc. The sliders that I still can't turn up are things like cloud distance. I run 100% thickness clouds (for the RXP weather radar) and anything close to max will really hurt performance. I can also still only run traffic at about 70% or so. Going to 100% kills my performance at any large airports. While I understand that new versions of video games are going to push the envelope of PC performance, I feel that MSFS is going a bit too far, too fast. It really comes down to what each individual is happy with.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Satchmo

I finally put my new system together (see below)and can now max everything out.I'm using the PMDG 747 with Active Sky V6.5,Flight Environment and Ultimate Traffic at 100%.It's a revelation just how good FS9 is with this sort of kit.Using TrackIR3 with the Vector expansion in the 747's virtual cockpit is astonishing..and I'm getting typ 25-30 fps on take off moving up to 40-50fps in flight, this is with 4xAA and 6xAF. I'm going to be playing with FS9 for a looong time to come :)On my old system (an XP1800+ with Ti4200 geforce4 card and 1G of generic RAM) the best I could get with the PMDG was 15fps with all setting minimized.Flying in FSX is just is like the bad old days...unless its VFR in the new Horizon VFR scenery...then I'm getting type 25-30fps and it sure looks good.CheersSatchmoAMD Opteron 146 CACJE @2.95G cpu/11 38C Max (Prime95 stable > 24H) @1.47vDFI LanpartyUT nF4 Ultra-DZalman CNPS9500 LED CoolerSapphire X800 GTO2 (16 pipe factory flashed) Ltd edition 540/590G.Skill F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ 3-4-4-8 1T @2.5v OCZ 700w Gamexstream SLIWestern Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS SATAII 7200rpm 16MB CacheAntec Nine Hundred Case

Guest Phantoms

I built my current system a couple years ago and run FS with sliders maxed. I have a ton of AI traffic and addons.My important system specs are:Gigabyte 8KNXP 875P chipset motherboard.Intel Pentium Northwood 478 socket 3.2Ghz cpu.ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb video card.CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB)TWINX1024 3200C2PT DDR400 memory.Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive.All of this was built 3 years ago except for the processor which was a 2.8Ghz at that time, but I replaced it with a 3.2 when I was building a PC for my son (he got the 2.8) in March of 2004. Everything was near top-of-the-line when I built my system and is the reason it's still a powerhouse today.

Hi Mike,I am running FS9 on a 3y/o system (with a CPU upgrade in the middle), and a similar graphics card as yers. The TextureMaxLoad tweak seems to have fixed the iffy performance I had before with the PDMG 737-800 NG--I am now making super smooth flights with only the heaviest of clouds threatening FPS, and even this is hardly an issue. Current settings in FS9 are: all sliders hard right except for cloud visibility range (i have it set to 50miles instead of max of 80). Visibility at 60. 1600x1200, with the highest possible settings in the nV driver for my 6800GT/OC. One area that helped me is that I am using 128bit clouds, though I'm tempted to use ActiveSky graphics to go back to 256 bit since discovering the TextureMaxLoad tweak. In any case, it looks fantastic, and now I am running PMDG big birds (and their 747) and with full everything, including VC views. On occasion she will come down to the high teens, but for short periods only with these heavy birds. Prior to TextureMaxLoad the heavies were a bit jerky. No more!I am holding off on FSX until there is enough horsepower to run it properly, case dismissed!I am using 2GB of ram, and virtually no swap file. I also discovered PerfectDisk degragmenter, and not sure but perhaps it has sweetenend things up. Since deciding to hold off for sure on FSX until the hardware or patches improve things I figured I was into FS9 for at least another full year, so put more effort into fine tuning. It's wonderful now: ActiveSky, Ground Env Pro, FlightDeck, FSG mesh, water fixes, ActiveCamera, etc.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I went out and upgraded just for FSX: AMD 3600, 7300s in SLI, 4GB RAMThe joke was on me. I can run FSX well, but graphically, it is sub-par referenced against FS9 with GE, FE, and UT.Bright side is, sliders are all right, frames are great (locked at 25, and I rarely see a dip), and visually is more than I could've hoped for.For me, its like FS9 became the 'new thing'. Granted, there's been some funds going to add-ons, but I'm extrememly happy about the results, and don't even think about firing up FSX.Plus side, I'm reading alot of posts about the 'holdouts' sticking with FS9, which makes me feel less behind the 8-ball. :)

Jeff Shields

I run FS9 with every addon availible. I've recently added an Nvidea 7600GT/512 and I run all sliders full and rarely get below 15 fps.Dave FisherCYYZP4 Prescott 3.2e 478p 800mhz 1mg CPUP4P800SE Asus Motherboard2.5 gig PC3200 DDR RAM 400MHZGeForce 7600GT/512Maxtor 80 Gig ATA 133 HD x2WDC WD800 80 Gig HDAntec 500watt true powerSharp 19 inch LCDhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpghttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Guest captandy

I run locked at 30 and I never go below 25 using ASV6.5 with 9 layers of clouds using FE 256 Texture set,GE,USA ROADS,Ultimate Traffice.Own all payware USA airports u can name from Cloud9,SimFlyers,FlyTampa,DreamScenery,FlightScenery.Have PMDG all,LDS767,Aeroworx KA,DA Cheyenne,F1 ATR,DF 727 and more.Oced the below home built system to 3.01Ghz and she flys without a stutter.I have shelved FSX and I am not going to load her until all kinks are out if ever a day like that comes.Andy

I'm wid' you, BooBoo! I upgraded in anticipation of fps issues with my "old" 3.2gigIntel/1gig ram/ATI X1600XT Pro at the end of September. I tweaked FSX for a month - got my reliable 30fps - and then went back to FS9 because I love and need my addons. WOW! - is about all I can say! 30 - 50 fps with no stutters, no blurries. Portland and the Dornier is SO great! Grimshaw's Boston with the Safir is so FANTASTIC! FT Seattle and the DF 727 is unbelievable! . . and on and on. . I'm now looking at FSX as another piece os software I downloaded, but don't use anymore. (sigh).

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.