Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

Strange problem

Hi Guys,A very strange problem has emerged out of nowhere with my version of fs9. If I Load up an aircraft my frames start at a normal 20-25fps after a few minutes everything drops to 3-7fps!! nothings changed aircraft hasn't moved no active sky loaded yet etc(I use fsautostart). I thought the problem was with one payware aircraft i allways fly but this happens with the defaults also! can anyone help?here are my system specs.. no new hardware installed for about 5 months and only changed graphic drivers after the problem emerged.up until a week ago This sim has been running like liquid even in heavy weather with the PMDG 744 PSS A340 and a number of other addons for a few years now. System Pentium 4 3ghz 2 gig ddr ram 120gig hardrive gforce 6800 512mb Thanks, Robert Prest

Rob Prest

Robert,It looks like we have similar systems. If you read thru some of the threads here, you might find ideas.Off the top of my head, "I" would try the following:1. Undo what I just did. Was something recently installed? AFCAD? AI Traffic? New Paint texture? Update to an add-on?2. Does it only happen in one geographical area? May be a new AFCAD is affecting. Same airplane or all?3. Are you starting from a saved flight? Does it happen after you create a flight?4. Disable AI. Does it happen?5. Run FS9 in a window and open up Windows Task Manager to see if any other program or service starts.Good Luck.Jim

Robert,have a look if your available memory also gets drained as soon as your frame rate drops. If so then it might be a scenery file (Afcad or Landclass *.bgl) that leads to your problem.Can you also confirm strange harddisk activities when your problem starts ?Ron

Hi, Thanks for your help. Just did a test at the gate LTBA using task manager i've noticed that after about 3 minutes frames droped from 28fps down to 11fps at the same time around 200meg of extra memory was needed. This is strange i've been simming a long time and never seen a problem like this only sometimes on a 12-14 hour longhual a slight memory leak. Sim Location is not making any diffrence, if all sliders go left frames still wont go above 11 max! I don't wanna reinstall as FS9 is about 20gig's on my hard drive. Thanks for the advise. Robert Prest

Rob Prest

if you had shortly installed some sceneries and then your problem starts, it might be a scenery problem. Just remember which one you have recently installed and try to deactivate it in your scenery.cfg or via the scenery library manager within FS9.If the problem still persists then it might be an AFCAD in your scenery/addon scenery folder. Rename those *.bgl´s to *.bak that you have recently installed and see if that helps.It might also happens that Landclass files (*.bgl) for any scenery are in the wrong folders. I read somewhere that those Landclass bgl´s must not be in a scenery folder which has also a corresponding texture folder in the subfolder.Ron

Guest RonB49

I would suspect something outside of FS. Have you ran virus check and spyware check recently? If not then do so. R-

I've run checks for trojans but i dont think it's external, i fired up GTR2 and that is as smooth as silk. Looks like i'm going to have to start from scratch and rebuild the sim :( Just loaded up the level-d 767 started smooth as normal in the VC could pan around with no problems at 20+fps and after a few minutes slide show, it's really annoying. Thanks for trying to help guys. BTW i also unchecked all scenery boxes + all AI and zero diffrence

Rob Prest

then it must be something that has global effects on fs9, like any bgl inside the addon scenery folder.Another good idea might be to check if there are any changes to the default dll´s in the module folder, some addons install changed or own dll´s there. I wouldn´t reinstall so fast, as it´s so time consumpting.If you have an clue what the default dll´s are named simply rename those dll´s that are not installed by FS9 itself.Might be also an missing texture file which causes the memory hole, but that´s need´s more detective work.Good luckRon

Guest lemonadedrinker

HI,Also try a System Restore before anything drastic like a re-install. It only takes a minute and if you go back a couple of weeks your problem may go away!Andy.

I had a similar situation earlier this year where I was fine when the sim loaded but by the time I taxied to the runway, it was a slideshow. To solve it, I removed a particlar windows update after doing some research on one that was causing people system slowdowns (unfortunately I can't remember which one it was). I will see if I can locate the hotfix number, but I would suggest looking there, if you haven't already.Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.9's6x Adaptive AA/16x HQ A/FIntegrated SoundDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

I hate to suggest something so obbvious...but could you have a faulty autogen which is causing a memory leak?sherm

One last thing guys (It's 2am in london and i have work tomorrow!) i just checked my fspassengers log and remembered that i made a flight to Zakinthos LGZA in greece and shut down as normal, when i restarted the sim i get a message as if new scenery was being installed, when the sim loaded up at the gate i could see tree's on the runway and taxiway. I think that was the last time i used the sim just checked LGZA and the tree's are still there but all other airports are fine. I've been quite lucky with fs9 never had major problems and it's been on my drive for a while, maybe it's time for a fresh install Thanks again for the tips Robert Prest

Rob Prest