Sign in to follow this  
gavi25

AI Traffic, how to change?

Hi there, i did a post earlier about my poor performance in Fs9.I have Ultimate Traffic, and was just reading through some posts, and someone mentioned that UT uses bad models and is best to use ai ardvark ones instead.How to I change my ai models to ai ardvark ones?Kind RegardsGavin Moss

Guest Yak Yak

it's a very time consuming process (took me about 2 weekends to convert everything). However, the framerate gain is huge. With default UT, my fps would drop to below 10 at busy airports such as LAX. Now, even with overcast sky at LAX (traffic at 100%), it's well above 25. See screenshots.You need to use the traffic tool that came with UT. First thing is to download all the PAI, EVAI, AiA, FPS, etc models and all their skins (organize everything carefully...i suggest using an excel spreadsheet). You can find 85% of the models/skins here at AVSIM. Then simply replace the currently assigned models in UT with the new ones using their tool. Again, this is super time consumig, and takes patience. But the payoff is well worth it.I barely touched the surface of all the things you need to do. I suggest going to the UT forums and download some tutorials. They are very helpful. http://www.fengzhudesign.com/fs2004/fs9_ai_02.jpghttp://www.fengzhudesign.com/fs2004/fs9_ai_06.jpghttp://www.fengzhudesign.com/fs2004/fs9_ai_13.jpg-feng

>it's a very time consuming process (took me about 2 weekends>to convert everything). However, the framerate gain is huge.>With default UT, my fps would drop to below 10 at busy>airports such as LAX. Now, even with overcast sky at LAX>(traffic at 100%), it's well above 25. See screenshots.>>You need to use the traffic tool that came with UT. First>thing is to download all the PAI, EVAI, AiA, FPS, etc models>and all their skins (organize everything carefully...i suggest>using an excel spreadsheet). You can find 85% of the>models/skins here at AVSIM. Then simply replace the currently>assigned models in UT with the new ones using their tool.>Again, this is super time consumig, and takes patience. But>the payoff is well worth it.>>I barely touched the surface of all the things you need to do.>I suggest going to the UT forums and download some tutorials.>They are very helpful. >>>-feng> One note! PAI models are the same as the UT models so try and use the other sources as much as possible. I did this in FS2004 and it helped considerably, unfortunately I lost my HD before I could back it up, and so far I haven't got the stamina to redo it. (Yet! :))

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest Yak Yak

>>it's a very time consuming process (took me about 2>weekends>>to convert everything). However, the framerate gain is huge.>>With default UT, my fps would drop to below 10 at busy>>airports such as LAX. Now, even with overcast sky at LAX>>(traffic at 100%), it's well above 25. See screenshots.>>>>You need to use the traffic tool that came with UT. First>>thing is to download all the PAI, EVAI, AiA, FPS, etc models>>and all their skins (organize everything carefully...i>suggest>>using an excel spreadsheet). You can find 85% of the>>models/skins here at AVSIM. Then simply replace the>currently>>assigned models in UT with the new ones using their tool.>>Again, this is super time consumig, and takes patience. But>>the payoff is well worth it.>>>>I barely touched the surface of all the things you need to>do.>>I suggest going to the UT forums and download some>tutorials.>>They are very helpful. >>>>>>>-feng>> >>One note! PAI models are the same as the UT models so try and>use the other sources as much as possible. I did this in>FS2004 and it helped considerably, unfortunately I lost my HD>before I could back it up, and so far I haven't got the>stamina to redo it. (Yet! :))>ah yes, my mistake. Thanks for the correction. It's been almost 8 month since i worked on AI....totally forgot that PAI was not part of the "more efficient" group...haha-feng

Gavin,I'm right in the middle of replacing UT models with Ai Aardvark's, Evolve AI's, CDAI's and FSPainter's. Took me like three days to completely replace just the 737 fleet! I use UT naming structure and have written a few macros in Excel to lessen the workload. It goes like this:1. I made a repaint list from within UT. It will show which airlines I have in UT. 2. Pick a model (let's say A320) and download all repaints that I find in the repaint list.3. Copy Aircraft.cfg, Model(s) folder and the .air file from A320 BASE package to the correct Aircrafts/UT AI xxxx folder4. Open Aircraft.cfg and correct fltsim.0 entry, it should retain the name, but point to the right model and FDE (.air) file. 5. Start my Excel thingie and do the same there. Name, air file, model folder. Preparation is complete.6. Now all I have to do is input the two indentifier pairs of letters that UT uses. For example: I would unpack a Luthansa repaint for the A320, put it in the "texture.LH LH 00" folder, write LH LH to the two fields in Excel, press "Copy" button (a macro I wrote) and move on to the next repaint.Takes me about 40 seconds for each repaint once everything is ready.I could send you the Excel worksheet but first I need to organize it a bit and write English commentaries. What it does is picks up the two identifying pairs that I've input, goes looking them up in the next sheet (I have imported UT's list of airlines there), fills in the necessary information (atc_airline, etc...), assigns the next fltsim.x number and appends the whole thing to the third sheet where I am building all the fltsim entries. LOL, now that I read what I wrote it sounds complicated but it really isn't. Anyway, once I'm done I simply copy all the fltsim.x sections to the aircraft.cfg and I'm done. The keyword here is ORGANIZE yourself. I have lists of repaints ready, noting which repaints I have and which I don't have, which models I will use as a replacement (for example, if I don't have a certain B737-700 repaint, I might use the -800 instead. I know, the purists among you will disagree, but what the heck. :) )Once all that is done, start UT and assign the repaints there. I have so far replaced A319, A320, A321, CRJ200, all B747 and all B737 models. I can tell the difference in FPS already... :)Regards,Jure

Hi, sorry guys im being really thick now, i looked on ai aardvarks website, they say download the original models from avsim but i dont which one are the original models?Kind RegardsGavin Moss

Gavin,click on the "B-717 Repaints", for example and there you will see a base model listed at the top of the list. The file name for this particular model is aia_b717.zip. Simply search for this file in the Avsim libraryand download it. Aardvark's instructions are clear and easy to follow. By the way, direct links on the Aardvark's site work or not, depends... :) But it's not too hard to find the desired livery by the name of the file itself which is always listed. If only all repaints would be this easy to find! :)A lot of aircraft have updated models, so download these updates and use the models and air files from those. And be careful with some AC, B747 for example, they have different base models for different engines. Jure