Sign in to follow this  
MarkRey

FS9 add-on cost discussion

Me?I cut down trees for a living.My development group is my wife, my two daughters, and the black lab lying on the carpet in the living room.

ooooppppsss, my bad, i misread the first post I thought it said something like "our company offers a product for 20$....." etc etcanyways carry on with the topic, and hello from Ontario, Canada

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Hey Ontario! Hello from Quebec.(Yes, there are Canadians in Quebec. Lots of us.)

Please don't put words into my mouth. I never told anyone not to talk about add-on prices: I said that I saw no point in doing so. I still hold that opinion because I see no evidence that prices will change as a result of such discussions. "I was simply asking other people's opinions. This is an interactive flightsim forum after all." but not, apparently, if an opinion disagrees with yours .You apparently missed the part of my previous post where I encouraged prospective buyers to use these forums to gain information about the quality, etc of add-ons before making a decision to buy. Price is then a purely subjective matter for the particular individual. A boy with a limited allowance will find many add-ons unaffordable: an older man who takes FS seriously will be able to afford many more. The developer will pitch his price hopefully to maximise his revenue. If that means his product is unaffordable to some people then that's how life is. You previously mentioned to Shockwave HE 219 saying that "...it looks like a 5 star plane ... But at $32 some of us average folk have to consider the price..." Of we do, but that doesn't mean Shockwave should consider reducing its price by 50% so that you can afford it. An enthusiast who collects WWII aircraft may well think it's a bargain at price and may well have been prepared to pay more for it.

mgh, ""I was simply asking other people's opinions. This is an interactive flightsim forum after all." but not, apparently, if an opinion disagrees with yours ."Not at all. The whole point of this is to hear other people's opnions. And I did read that you thought people should investigate their purchases more carefully.If I put words in your mouth, I apologize for that. But as a flightsimmer and add-on buyer, do you really have no opinion at all regarding add-ons prices and quality other than "there's no point in discussing it"?You truly think price, skin quality, sound quality, FM, VC, 2D panel, flight management systems, and all the rest are so utterly subjective that there is no basis for comparison or discussion? If that's the case, wouldn't every single add-on review be wrong from the get go because the reviewer is using totally subjective criteria that cannot be shared by others? And if so, then how can you say we should read reviews or take other people's opinions into account in order to make a wise purchase?

Add-on costs are a very subjective thing. One person's overpriced scenery/plane is another person's must-have bargain. But is it really that subjective? Can there be any standard of reference for add-on costs? Are most add-ons too expensive? How much do they cost to make? How many do they sell?Are we too tough in our criticisms or are lucky to get anything at all?One company offers a great plane for $20 and another sells a trash can for $40. How and why are these prices what they are?IMHO, any add-on over $40 should be a bug free, five star, state of every art package. $30 better be really good, at least, in many ways. For $20, we should get an add-on that does at least one thing, very, very well. A $10 add-on should at least be enjoyable and have some interesting qualities.Thoughts?