Sign in to follow this  
stefanos5913

Afcad problem

HelloI started experimenting with traffic recently and I have a problem with a particular airport. It is tha LGSA. I played with the afcad file and even thought there are suitable parkin spots and the fault finder doesn't find something wrong a can't get any traffic to start from there (it does never appear) or when I instruct a plane there it flies over it and never nands. I Know that the AI Planes work ok so it must be the airport.I appreciate any helpJim

Is this the FS9 airport or an addon ?If an addon make sure you only have one afcad for parking spaces. Peter

Peter Schluter

>Is this the FS9 airport or an addon ?>>If an addon make sure you only have one afcad for parking>spaces. Yes it is the freeware airport from "Hellas scenery project".I 'm not sure Peter if I know exactly what you mean but I have only one afcad file for the airport. What seems suspicious is that when I load the last layer of the afcad file with the afcad progrmme, nothing apears (in the afcad programme. If I move the afcad file in another location and open it from there, there is only one layer and everything is in place. In the scenery library I have the airport in the highest position, so I dont't thing it has to do with that.Thanks

I knew some people who spent a lot of time at Souda Bay back in the 70's & 80's. Still get e-mail from one.Anyway, AFCAD has some things which can fool it. The Fault Finder only checks for items which the programmer designed into it. We have since learned of many other things which can cause problems, which the Fault Finder will never see as wrong.If the scenery designer include airport header data in a scenery file, but not actual runway, parking, etc data - then AFCAD will show a file as being an AFCAD, but display no information within the AFCAD program.You should see two airports listed for LGSA when you do the Open Airport ID search.The Stock airport AFCAD in Layer 6, and the addon AFCAD file in a higher layer number.If I move the afcad file in another location and open it from there, there is only one layer and everything is in place.This sounds like you have a scenery folder which is not active.I'll download the scenery and check the file - been meaning to set it up anyway.In the meantime - check the AFCAD by downloading the file "af2_lgsa_lgml_lex09.zip" from the AVSIM library and replace your AFCAD with the one in Felix's folder. Though things will not lineup completely - the object is to test if the AFCAD or the traffic file is the problem.

Okay - the scenery designers have made a mistake by including header data in the file LGIR_Taxisigns.BGLThis is NOT the AFCAD - but will always show up in the AFCAD search field as long as the scenery is active.The AFCAD file is AF2_LGSA.bgl (I wish people would put names on files so you could tell their source)Parking spots 5 and 6 overlap. Even though and AI model parked in the direction shown for the parking spot - the bounding box around an AI aircraft is larger than the visual model. This type overlap can cause problems.There are a lot of unconnected nodes in the default AFCAD file. These can cause the taxiway network to fail to compile properly.The newly added Rwy 11R/29L does not have start locations. The link line down the center of the runway is not a runway link. If the runway is not to be used - it needs to be marked closed for takeoff and landing on both ends.If it is to be used - it needs start locations, a runway link line down the center - with the correct designator, and hold short nodes on all runway exits/ entrances.If you add a parking spot to the south side of the airport - it will never takeoff because there is not a hold short node close to the runway which will be it's takeoff runway.

HelloReggie I tried everything you mentioned above.I removed the unnecessary nodes, moved the overlaping parking spots away form each other, closed the Rwy 11R/29L. Still no traffic apears. I even replaced the afcad file with the one in your first post but nothing changed. I guess it is something that I don't have the knowledge to correct.Thanks a lot fot your time Reggie.Best wishesJim

JimI have the same LGSA as you from hellas scenery project. I installed it at the same time as the greek mesh and scenery from the same website.I seem to remember that there was a duplicate AFCAD in one of the greek scenery folders. I removed this and I get AI traffic at LGSA. If you installed the mesh and scenery from HSP have another look at the general scenery files you installed for the duplicate AFCAD.Make sure you use AFCAD 2.21 (or 2.2, I cant remember the name exactly) by Lee Swordy to check that the duplicate AFCAD is one with parking spaces.Peter

Peter Schluter

Hi PeterI did a fresh reinstall of fs9 and the addon sceneries and I searched very carefully with the help of a "duplicate finder" programme so now I am sure there isn't a second afcad file for LGSA. Even though I can't see any traffic.Thanks for your help.

Guest drmweaver2

>can't get any traffic to start from there (it does never>appear) or when I instruct a plane there it flies over it and>never nands. I understand troubleshooting the AFCAD as a possible source of the problem.However, the origianl poster said that a plane "flies over it" and never lands. If there was an afcad problem, wouldn't the plane NOT depart the starting location? So you'd never see it doing even a missed approach?I'm thinking the problem might be in the traffic file... perhaps you should try making a new traffic file with one plane, two routes.A. One plane routed from "this airport" landing elsewhere at time X.B. Second plane routed from a known good airport scheduled to land "here" at time X plus 30 seconds.Then start FS9 at time X - 15 minutes and accelerate time to 4x and watch. (This allows any/all other traffic to stabilize.1. Note if the plane that is supposed to depart ever shows up. Does it show up at all? Does it blink out? Does it depart?2. Note if the expected arrival does - or if, as you say, it shows up but does not land. What DOES it do? TNG's? One misapproach and then returns to its "starting" airport?All this is moot IF the problem is in the afcad. But it the problem is in the traffic file, this is a start.

>>However, the origianl poster said that a plane "flies over it">and never lands. If there was an afcad problem, wouldn't the>plane NOT depart the starting location? So you'd never see it>doing even a missed approach?>Mayby I wasn't clear at that part. When I said a plane flies over it (LGSA)I ment that it had taken of from an other airport and I had followed it all the way to LGSA.Sorry I didn't mention it from the start.

Guest drmweaver2

>Mayby I wasn't clear at that part. When I said a plane flies>over it (LGSA)I ment that it had taken of from an other>airport and I had followed it all the way to LGSA.>Sorry I didn't mention it from the start.Actually, I wasn't sure if that WAS what you meant - but it does ADD to the understanding of the current situation.As I said, my understanding was that if the AFCAD was messed up, the plane would not have just flown over the "destination" airport. At best it would have landed and then disappeared. At worst, it would never have taken off from the departure airport.Hopefully Reggie will reenter this thread and clear this up --- as well as offering another suggestion.I'm going to be quiet now. ;PGoo dluck.

Hi,Unless there is a *big* problem, the plane would land and then disappear due to the AFCAD problem.I have a few guesses, but they are unlikely.1. The airport's AFCAD actually has a different ICAO code than LGSA.2. There are no runways listed in the AFCAD (i.e. the AFCAD is not complete).3. There are no radio frequencies listed in the AFCAD.4. The planes are flying to an ICAO code different from LGSA.5. ???Can you use the Nearest Airport list when you fly to the airport and find it on the list with the correct ICAO code? Can you contact the tower (or CTAF) and ATC will clear you to land? Can you actually land at the airport and the ATC guide you to a parking spot?Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___