Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stefan Bergert

Dear MSFS staff-could FS9 be more 'international'?

One of the frustrations for non-US users of FS2k2 is it's lack of a truly 'local feel' to flying. It's not just that all the default AI aircraft fly with N regs (we can change that with great progs like TrafficTools), but many other things.Being only use to the UK's airspace I can only comment on one country but I have noticed things like:1: Lack of 'foreign accents' in the ATC voices.2: Could we have the option of choosing 'millibars' instead of 'inches of mercury' for altimeter setting.3: Could we choose to have ATC say 'QNH'for those altimeter readouts and could 'local circuits' be changed from 'closed traffic' and possibly 'QFE' given.4: Other ATC local usuage like -we have the pilot call 'downwind' and also 'final' when doing 'circuits'.Here in the UK,ATC gives the 'wind' usually on reply to the pilots 'final' call.5: Could 'class B/C and D airspace' be altered to allow phrases like 'zone', 'controlled and un-controlled' airspace and things like 'MATZ' be incorporated.6: Airfields without full ATC can have 'Information' or 'Radio' instead, we have no 'Unicom'!7: 'Flight Following'isn't used here ,we should be able to accomodate phrases like 'Radar Information Service' and 'Flight Information Service'.8: For a call sign such as G-DAVE,we use the first letter and the 'last two' for the 'callsign shortened'(ie 'Golf Victor Echo).We currently only have 'the last three', which is the US style. Also time the 'minus' was dropped that creeps into the 'foreign callsigns'.I realise that if every country required changes to the programming to accomodate items such as above then we have a pretty tall order, but perhaps a 'country menu' system would allow these local variations.I know those of us here on this Avsim forum could provide the 'local input' that the MSFS team might need to make their great product 'truly international'!DaveT

Personally I think it is a good list but we have to face realities. Many of these details go way beyond the current level of software sophistication in MSFS. ATC is not too good even in the US and now you want it to be international. They have to work out basics first .. I would rather have them a 'limited' piece working very well than spreading their effort over multiple areas and none of them too good. just my $0.02.Michael J.

Aren't they releasing an ATC SDK for FS(9/2004/ACoF). Perhaps it can be done by a third party if it isn't included by MS.Maybe they could have a US and International version.

I think we need to settle for a second-best solution -- relying on the adaptablility of FS2002 to give a more localised flying experience. That really needs to be done on a national level, with a few keen people working towards a common goal. That's what we're trying to achieve here in New Zealand with Godzone -- a magazine-based resource offering tips, tutorials and addon files -- mainly scenery, but there is provision to include things like a remake of ATC recordings, etc. All we need is to generate the interest -- not easy in a little place like New Zealand, but no doubt more effective in the UK for instance.You can have a look at what we are trying to do here:www.windowlight.co.nz/godzone

I personal think your idea to create a more realistic international sim is a great vision. It seems MS spent a lot of effort in the weather engine for the next sim. If its everything that it has been reviewed to be then maybe as a voice of one all simmers will be satified with the weather and request that the ATC and autogen become more international. If given so not only would it add to the realism but it would make travel outside of the U.S. more enjoyable and adventurous. Your list opened me up to a whole new way of new things that avaition offers. It would be great to see MS consider the version that follows CoF to be focused on a more international platform. I understand that Cof will have improved ATC but I feel that it will fall short of international improvements. Maybe since CoF will now allow for ground, weather and traffic awareness they can start improving on designing the ATC to be more international.On a side note Tower controllers will sometimes give wind checks when clearing to land and I don't see why it shouldn't be added to FS. That or provide an option in the atc prompt for a wind check.Kil~

I've recorded a complete new 'UK English Voice Pack' which goes someway to getting what I'd like to see. However you can only go so far in 'adjusting' the existing spoken ATC phrases to make them more 'local'. Things like 'altimeter' can get changed to 'QNH'(height AGL), but you can't ever get a 'QFE'(above runway)of course, that's not used in the US. You can also alter the 'tokens', which are the 'tags' that fire off another phrase in 'run time'. So that if you want a pilot to give his existing 'QNH' when contacting an ATC you can add the token and it will add that in.A major requirement must be a way of accomodating differing 'transition altitudes',which must affect all those of you that fly IFR a lot.We have varying transition altitudes in the UK, mainly 3000ft, but many control zones are around 6000, all a long way from the 18,000 in the US.The MSFS ATC team made a great program, we just need to extend it to allow more of the 'local' elements. All this would help in make the sim a better 'training tool'.DaveT

Guest joea

Well you couls always try Radar Contact, it has incorporated quite a few international ATC features like millibar for example.

Hi David,You put together a very intelligent argument on making FS more country specific and I hope that MS listen and take heed.In the meantime you might find Radar Contact goes some way to giving you what you desire. It still has an American influence (not surprising since the developers are American! :-) ) but it also has two English controller voices (one of them is mine) and I have recently uploaded to AvSim, Manchester ATC recordings to enhance the local feel at EGCC.There are too many features in RC to list here but it does allow Transition Levels to be supplied for each flight which may at least go some way in giving you what you desire.Visit http://www.jdtllc.com/ for more info and visit the Radar Contact forum here on AvSim if you have specific questions.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest Stefan Bergert

VATSIM is the future (or IVAO or flightproject.net)!All the stuff (and even more like emergencies, human behaviour,...) mentioned above is already no problem anymore - fly online ;)I think there are far more important things (like realistic visibility with appr+rwy-lights and different braking action).regards,Stefan

I use to fly online with 98 and 2000 all the time. Every flight. However, I found the new way to use squawkbox not enjoyable with the text box and the small changes. I keep looking forward the day squawkbox is re-wrote and operates like how it use to in 2000.Kil~

I'm just a boring old GA pilot, don't want to have to file a flight plan everytime and I like to do a few 'touch and goes' and enjoy the wonderful 'Visual Flight' photoreal scenery we now have in the UK.Honestly though I will try Radar Contact and I should 'fly online' I suppose.Still think that default ATC should be improved though!DaveT

Guest Stefan Bergert

The old SB interface was more enjoyable - I agree BUT: I don't really use the text-interface anyway since I have roger wilco which runs in the background. It is far easier to speak than to type text while flying!It's no big deal flying online: subscribe to VATSIM or IVAO or flightproject.net, enter your data in SB (just one time), start FS&SB&rw (ca. 2min. max.), no big flightplan-filling required but dep.time,TAS,and route (enter "traffic pattern or "VFR" if you like) - that's it!Stefan