Sign in to follow this  
Guest GA Flyer

What setup do you use to show off FS9 to guest?

Guest GA Flyer

When you have guest over and you want to show them what it is that you enjoy or show off your sim (home cockpit), I was wondering what general stuff do you set in the create a flight to do so?For me I like to use the default c172 with the XPGauges (T and N), and do it on a clear weather day at KHIO which is part of the FlightScenery Portland (prior to that it was their KPVD or the freeware BOston from George G.)I find the 172 easy for newbies to try and fly and the FlightScenery fields just showcase what can be done with scenery with no preformance hits.

Guest neslesman

Carenado U206 Amphibian or DH Beaver, take off from Vancouver Airport, fly to Whistler, return via Vancouver Island and land in Vancouver Harbour with the great Vancouver FSAddon scenery.Or a Beachcraft Bonanza V ride around Portland (FZ02)to Seattle (Fly Tampa Seattle)Or the Real Air Scout and fiddle around Misty Moorings or Tongass Fjords and hop from cabin to cabin in Alaska.Or Flight1 172 and........................................Or the Pilatus PC-12 ,,,,,,,,Or the Grumman Goose and .....Or ......

Geez, for the most part, I hide my FS addiction....most folks would not/do not understand. And the ones that know/knew I was 'into it', just didn't understand either, most always asking, "but, how do you win?":D

>Geez, for the most part, I hide my FS addiction...That's exactly what I would have said. I usually get asked, "so you don't get to shoot down other planes????"To really answer the question though, I just takeoff from Teterboro on the Flight1 C172 or C152 and have them fly around Manhattan (Aerosoft Manhattan).For those very very few that I'm not too embarassed to admit my addiction, I might show them some of the routine to get the engines on with Dreamfleet's 727. This really does show how much it is "as real as it gets." However, I then usually get asked, "and this is fun for you???"The answer, of course, is a big resounding YES!!!!!!

Other then the wife and the dog no one knows that I like to fly.JimCYWG

I get the "that is so boring" comment all the time.The wife and the dogs think I'm nuts.

Some friends of mine were vacationing in Scotland, so when they got back I sent them a ton of FS screenshots from the places they had visited (as well as others). I didn't even have much scenery in the area, but I tried to get as much freeware stuff as possible. I also had Ultimate Terrain and some mesh, so everything looked pretty good. Anyway, I was fairly surprised, but they seemed impressed. I've never gotten anyone to actually try to fly though. My wife once watched me land the Dreamfleet 727 and said, "I can see why you like this". At least people I know seem to understand it as a hobby. Anyway, I guess my main point is to show people places they've been in real life, or show them flights they have made in the real world.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Nobody knows that I sim.I get enough hassle from admitting I enjoy the odd air show. A large portion of my website is dedicated to Aviation Photography though...

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Guest jgreth123

I have the full setup with the TrackIR, CH Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, and Pedals so I typically ask what type of flying they want to see.If they want to see General Aviation I break out the Dornier Do-27 and start her up, let 'er warm up and take 'er out explaining all the procedures.If they want to see Commercial I usually break out the PMDG 744 or the Level-D 763( though I explain that the 2-D FMC is poop! :( ).I have them fly around Portland (FZ02)( or I just fly for them if they don't want to ) in the plane(s) mentioned above or show them some Misty/Tongass Fjords/Vancouver+ in the Real Air Scout or Aerosoft Beaver ( though I explain that this plane was made a long time ago before 'good' VCs were more common ) w/ floats.Very few take it to the level that I do though... ;) I even go as far as manually calculating my derated takeoff thrust settings for the given altitude, air pressure, runway conditions, anti-ice etc...

Sorry for the obvious plagiarism, Jeff, but we do almost the same things with the same stuff!I have the full setup with the TrackIR, homebuilt yoke, Throttle Quadrant, and Pedals so I typically ask what type of flying they want to see. I also run ASv6.I generally start off at Portland Intl., with the RA Spitfire - in the tower view, as many of my friends are R/C flyers - and then put on an airshow. A beatup at zero feet doing 300+ is impressive! (well it impresses me. . .). If they want some aerobatics I switch to the LIC Eagle with that gorgeous r-w-b colour scheme and smoke.If they want to see General Aviation I break out the Dornier Do-27, (put some oil in it first) start her up, let 'er warm up and take 'er out explaining all the procedures. If they want to see Commercial (and are not time-constrained!) I usually break out the DreamFleet 727 at either PVD or SEA, with a start-up, pushback, taxy, take-off and climbout with FS Pax and FDC for heavy-duty effects!. I usually load a previously saved flight for this.I have them fly around Portland (FZ02)( or I just fly for them if they don't want to ) in the plane(s) mentioned above - or show them some Toronto starting at Flight Ontario's Toronto Island airport, around the CN Tower, up to Buttonville, etc.I did have one fellow who took over my sim for two hours one evening around suppertime. Was my wife ever p****d! Two hours watching him flying around Toronto in the Safir looking at the places he recognized. . and telling us. . . and telling us. . Cheesh!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest fruitfly

Having computer on, let alone using it as a "fun center" while having guests would be considered very impolite / unhospitable / antisocial where I live.They usually notice like "you're having some equipment here, don't you?". I nod "yes" and that's where the talk about computers end.

I have PMDG 747 takes off from Meigh and autoland at KORD 27L. May be turn the time to night and let them enjoy the lights too. Not possible? Yes, you can. Just fill fuel to 10% capacity. -------------------------AMD Dual Athlon 4400+ @211 2G XFX Geforce 7900GSViewSonic 21" VX2025WMXP SP2

Guest JeffPreston

Great tip - drain off a load of fuel - makes it much easier for guests to land the big birds...!;)

If you like for example to show the PMDG first show a cockpit landing from flightlevel350.com or so, and then fire up the sim.They recognise real with sim, and appreciate more!JohanA LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION, AND A LITTLE MORE ACTION PLEASE.."The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but still they come!"Ulla!