Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fabio Miguez

Concorde lands safely in NY after loosing part of rudde

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey guys:http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/02/27...orde/index.htmlI don't think that Air France or BA are worried about the rudders, for, as stated, it has happened multiple times in the past, and never caused any serious problems. But I wonder how commercially viable Concorde still is... I hope it flies for a long time still, it is definetly the best looking plane in the sky, not counting the fact it crosses the Atlantic in little over three and a half hours, when going west!Thanks for the info John. Will post in the Hangar Chat forum next time.

Had heard about it already--aircraft often shed parts with minimal attention, but being that it's the Concorde, I guess it's getting a bit more attention....A couple of issues to note. Although major disasters are often mentioned in this forum in spite of forum guidelines (just to get the word out to those who may have loved ones involved), something of this nature, which is newsworthy but obviously not as much of a crisis really should be posted in "Hangar Chat" Also, I suggest you post links to news articles--don't quote them. It's a violation of copyright..... -John

Guest DreamFleet

I think this might be the third time this has happened, though I do not know specifically what part or half of the rudder they lost this time.I recently attended a lecture by a retired BA Concorde pilot, David Leney, who was in command the first time this happened, many years ago. They they lost either the upper or lower half of the rudder (don't remember which). They had no idea what had actually happened until they had landed.It was a fascinating lecture, and I applauded him for telling it like it is concerning the AF crash, which was caused by MUCH more than just a piece of metal on the runway. In fact, had all else been well with that aircraft, that aircraft would have been off the ground before reaching that piece of metal. Ultimately, all accidents are a chain of events, and that one was no exception.Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...RUM_LOUF_A2.jpg

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Lou.What prevented the aircraft from getting off the ground before it actually did?