Sign in to follow this  
mpl330

Can someone explain this approach please?

Hi,Hope someone can explain this for me:I am SW of EGCC just going over WHI NDB, heading 015 for a CLEARED ILS landing on 6R and the tower gives me "Make left Traffic, runway 6R" - where should I go? First time I tried it I just went for the runway and got told "not cleared to land"...CheersMike

Is this default FS9 ATC? Did you actually have an IFR plan active for this flight?

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Im not gonna be much help but, FS9 atc is horrible, I fly my IFR flights without ATC, I like to follow sids and stars, so can manage without ATC.(unless of course on an Vatsim hehe)

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Did you actually fly the left traffic terminal procedure to final for the ILS?were you being vectored to final?, and 'short cut' ATC's direction to final?If you do not follow the pattern close enough, the default ATC will see that you did not arrive at/through certain way-points during the pattern, and will not clear you to land until 'hitting' those way-points is achieved.Personaly, I do not accept the FS 'vector' method, but instead select an approach offered when FS ATC vectoring begins enroute ("you are 56 miles from....."). Typically there are approach options offered when that happens, I select one of my choice, request it, and am typically cleared to the first way-point/fix for that approach pattern. After entering the pattern I don't hear from ATC until FAF, and I'm given the clearance to land. If I don't get clearance to land, it probably means I did not fly the pattern even close to published.

I'm not certain but I think this is an FS version of a circling approach.ATC clears you for an approach with instruction to circle to land, as the runway in use is not aligned with the final approach course. Any chance ATC

Guest PARADISE

To answer your question " where should I go?", in real life you always go where ATC instructs you to go even if it seems like an unreasonable request. You can always ask for a different vector later. ATC usually has a pretty good reason for vectoring you away from the normal approach. I used to fly Cessna 421's and 425's out of DCA before GA aircraft were banned after 9/11 and it was not uncommon to be cleared to land for one runway only to be told to circle to another runway for landing because there was a 737 hot on my tail. All of DCA's runways intersect each other. It made for some "interesting" landing patterns.In your case though, as someone asked before, were you on an IFR flight plan, or were you VFR and just using the ILS to make your approach? If you were VFR then it appears FS ATC vectored you for a standard VFR traffic pattern entry. By looking at your position though FS ATC usually issues straight in approaches from that angle.Did ATC ask you to report to the tower after shut down?Happy FlyingJohn M

Hi Guys,This flight was full IFR from EDDF in 737, went over TRENT and got the instruction for 015 getting ready to intercept for 6R. I actually saved the flight and have tried it a few different ways to do upwind then downwind and never get an authorisation to land - was expecting a "straight in" so first time went for it and got a "You were not authorised to land" slap on the legs!Oh well looks like I really need an alternative atc!IFC tomorrow :) CheersMike