Sign in to follow this  
Guest GA Flyer

My new sim (with pics)

Guest GA Flyer

The shot with my dog was for silly fun when I was building it (I put headphones on him but they kept sliding off and the jacket was borrowed).THe other shot is it finished but waiting on my 37" monitor which will complete it some time next year in the spring.Just thought you guys might like the dog pic since I was laughing the whole time I took it.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162353.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162354.jpg

Guest JeffPreston

Loved the pictures - how many hours does Pilot Officer Pooch have?I imagine he/she gives ATC a pretty hard time...;)

He he. I can see it on the approach.ATC: Echo Charlie. Previous aircraft reported moderate turbulence on finals. Please advise current situation.Pooch: RUFF!

John

Love it!The dog looks less enthused though :DI can hear him now "Man, is he trying this again?"Hehe, pretty cool.

Guest GA Flyer

For now it is, but when I get the 37" monitor It will need to be that far back as so I can see the whole screen (Bottom to top). The monitor is on a shelf that is adjustable so when i get the new one I can just lower the shelf.It works fine as is using active camera but understand your question. Plus thats another benefit to having all the knobs, switches and levers assigned so that I dont need to use the screen or mouse to click on anything (in most planes).

Geee....37" eh? That'll work well with your setup. Please post some more pictures as you progress with this cockpit setup. It looks really nice.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Nice pix--nice dog!Do please post again when you get your 37" monitor. I am debating how to expand my set up visually and have considered TH2G among other things. But now I am wondering about a 37" monitor since I have the space and a setup not too dissimilar from yours.Thanks and Cheers!JS

Well, I dunno. Ok. It's great! I have to see more please. Nice doggie too. Love the jacket. dolph

Guest GA Flyer

The crazy thing about my sim is that it is in a custom made utility trailer that is overall 8ft by 18ft that I call home. Its self contained and powered by Batteries (big 12volt ones) a 2000 watt generator, propane and solar power.I'm full connected with wireless internet, satellite radio, cell phone and I have a Tivo with a DVD burner at work where we get cable so I save and burn my shows and watch them a day later.The sim is under my bed in a size of 4ft high x 4ft wide and 5 ft deep. What you dont see is that I have multicolored USB 12inch lights up inside the plexiglass windows that once inside the sim I can turn on to match the outside sky (Blue, Teal, Purple [for morning flights] white...I can even make one side red and the other green if I wanted to fly in fog and get that feel.)I actually have to make sure I have enough real gas in the generator before I do a flight and when its windy out the trailer rocks enough to make the sime feel even more immursive.I have an actual plane air vent that is hooked to a 12vdc 4" fan and piped to the outside so I get air in the sim since it is self contained once the door is shut.Other things is the 7"screen that is off in the photo that can be used as a GPS screen that is also touch screen or I can watch the dvd on it. A red rope light behind me on a dimmer switch and a red spot map light above the throttle quad that I got from an airplane shop for planes.I was thinking about the triple head and understand that it is a cheaper way to go than a 37" but then realized that with a 37" its almost like getting 6 screens or two rows of a triple head without all the bezels.This pic shows it work in progresshttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162389.jpgThis Pic is closer to finished and you can see the sim is completely hidden when the door is closed. Thats a full size bed up top and a 15" fold down lcd TV in the upper left. When I show the trailer to friends I show them the sim last and they cant believe its there.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162390.jpgFinally two pics of the trailer. The tool box on the tung holds the generator and is insulted and lead lined so you can barely hear it. The one on the street is where it actually stays.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162392.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162393.jpg

It's an old joke, but is the dog there to stop the pilot touching anything?John

I visited BEST BUY today and viewed a selection of 32, 40 and 42" LCDs. All were superb. But boy are they tall and BIG overall. I wondered how far back one would need to sit to be able to take it all in and actually SEE the stuff, so to speak.It is hugely appealing to have one giant screen than three smaller ones with bezels everywhere. It will be interesting to learn how your 37" turns out. JS

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,that is totally amazing and extraordinary and it's a great looking rig altogether!!However, from the look of your dog's eyes, either he needs proper doggoggles or he should get to bed a bit earlier.Post more pics later please!Andy.

That is amazing. You should be at the next AVSIM convention and showcase it. It would be a hit.Don't forget to bring the dog. What's his name?JimCYWG