Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Tim Conrad's Grumman Tiger

It kind of surprises me that there's been no response. With all the talk about FS9 being ignored for FSX, here's a nice little freeware package from a thoughtful developer. Maybe it isn't in the class of payware, but it's one of the better light GA offerings I've seen recently. I don't care if Grumman isn't your flavor of choice, but let's always try to recognize authors who do a sincere effort to add to our hobby. Tim's is a good effort, in my opinion. That's all, just my thoughts...-John

Thanks for the 'heads up' John, as you say, many of us have wanted to see this aircraft modeled in FS9. I'll be checking it out later.....but the Browns/Steelers game is on tonight....so ;)

It's a sweet one alright. I saw it when they first started talking about in on SOH and downloaded when he released it. Very nicely done and there have been a few nicely done real world repaints to boot.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Glad to see some feedback. Repaints? I've run into one, if you can steer me to any others, much appreciated.Regards,John

I missed this one. There was one in FS98 I used fly all the time. Thanks for the heads up.

John,There are two repaints over at Flightsim.com -- one U.S. and one U.K.Search Ben Hartmann and Todd Disrud.John

Just downloaded it, climbed in, and took it for a little spin around KSEA. Really very nice, (I also used to have one in FS5/98), and I'll have to take it for a longer flight later on.I'm also going to check out some RXP gauge upgrades/swaps, including a Garmin 430...it looks like it may be a fairly easy mod.Thanks again.

Guest RiddlePilot

Has anyone notified Lane Wallace?

Spent some time swapping out the stock gauges with some RXP units, changed the Airspeed gauge with something more appropriate, and looked up the V speeds for the 5B. Garmin units did not work well, so I went with the Apollo set, and it seems to fit this aircraft pretty well. I also replaced the VOR2 with an ADF gauge.Here is a shot:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162696.jpgJohn, I noticed you found a way to turn on the exterior lights without the interior lights. For the life of me I can't find any lighting switches in the cockpit...what am I missing?If anyone wants the RXP mods, let me know. This aircraft flies very nicely, but it may seem a tad under-powered as maximum cruise is reported at 143 knots, and I can't seem to get close to that.

"John, I noticed you found a way to turn on the exterior lights without the interior lights. For the life of me I can't find any lighting switches in the cockpit...what am I missing?"Not quite sure--might be part of my default flight. Shift/L on my system will toggle the panel lights without turning off the exterior lights--it's a useful keystroke :)"This aircraft flies very nicely, but it may seem a tad under-powered as maximum cruise is reported at 143 knots, and I can't seem to get close to that."Since I've been shopping for a real plane for some months, I can say that often such figures are more "creative accounting" than Gospel. Is the 143 knots max continuous power, or full throttle? Is it at full gross or pilot plus a half tank? Is that groundspeed at 8000 ft, or Sea Level? Is it really 143 mph? I've seen with this aircraft mph used in place of knots on some spec pages hosted by owners. If it truly cruises at that speed, a few tweaks of the drag would probably get things close to in synch, assuming the engine tables are set up right.-John

Guest LONEDOVE

Good morning,I would love to have the RXP mods if you would be so kind.Many thanks,Jim Mesa, ArizonaJTYSON12@COX.NET

I, too, would really appreciate these mods. The panel looks fabulous! I've always thought the Tiger was a good-looking aircraft, and would replace my "aging" Archer, and would make a good, first attempt at modifying a panel.Many thanks,pjpj_3@sympatico.ca

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>Since I've been shopping for a real plane for some months, I>can say that often such figures are more "creative accounting">than Gospel. Is the 143 knots max continuous power, or full>throttle? Is it at full gross or pilot plus a half tank? Is>that groundspeed at 8000 ft, or Sea Level? Is it really 143>mph? I've seen with this aircraft mph used in place of knots>on some spec pages hosted by owners. If it truly cruises at>that speed, a few tweaks of the drag would probably get things>close to in synch, assuming the engine tables are set up>right.;) Yea, I know. To answer your question, I believe it was less than full throttle, I want to say 75% power, but that saved .PDF is on my computer at home right now. I can post the info later if interested, or the link to it from a 'Grumman owner' web site.Took a quick look at the engine info, and everything look OK.

If anyone wants the RXP mods, PM me with your email address, and I'll get them to you.I want to look at a couple more things this evening, but it is close. If you don't have the RXP Apollo set, let me know, and I can swap the stock radio's back into the panel quite easily.I have used the Apollo set (obviously), and the FLT 'T' and 'N' series ('N' series VOR1 & ADF).Jim and PJ, obviously I have yours.