Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Garmin 530 in Dreamfleet Baron 58

Hi,I am thinking about purchasing the Baron 58 Reality from Dreamfleet for MSFS9.Is the Garmin530 fully programmable in this aircraft?Key in a full flight plan from scratch if you want to?Will it "load" saved MSFS flight plans. Add SID and STAR if you want to?I am trying to find out is how functional the Garmin530 is.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Hi Vaughan,I am reasonable familiar with this sim aircraft ;).1. Is the Garmin530 fully programmable in this aircraft? Yes, it is the RealityXP Garmin GNS530 which interfaces with Garmin's own GNS500 series trainer so it will do everything the Garmin trainer will do.2. Key in a full flight plan from scratch if you want to? Yes, see above.3. Will it "load" saved MSFS flight plans? NO, that is not a feature Garmin programmed into their Garmin trainer software.4. Add SID and STAR if you want to? Garmin preprogrammed the approaches and departures, you can manually enter waypoints if the procedure is newer than the database or not included and save it as a flightplanYou won't find a closer to reality simulation of the Garmin units because RXP uses Garmin's own training software. That said there are some limitations, you can't use the latest version of the training software as Garmin made some changes that are not compatible with the interface. The working version is still available on RXP's site. The training software is a 16 bit program so it will not work on Vista if you are using that OS.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Thanks for the replies Zfehr and Kerosene31,I downloaded the trainer per above link. I have not even tried to use it yet.I am using Windows XP Professional. Not VISTA.I assume it will be OK!Is the Trainer to be used off line without the Baron software running?Just for training me on how to use it?Does the Baron start the "trainer" and use it during all flights as an interface to the Garmin 530 on the aircraft panel?Does it use the internet during the flight? That could slow things down a bit.Or, during a flight, is the Baron software running by itself?Basically, what is the trainer interface?Best Regards,

Best Regards,

Guest Crimguy

You do not need to do anything other than what you'd normally do in FS9, i.e. you start FS9, choose the DF Baron, and fly. I regularly fly (in the real world) in a Debonair with dual GNS430's, and I can tell you that the RealityXP Garmin 530 in the Baron is 100% accurate, and works as well as what's in the Debonair I fly.Actually, it works better - the interface and screen refresh is faster on the pc than in the real world.While I like the Baron, I think the flight model in the Dreamfleet Bonanza is better. Just my humble opinion.

Hi again,1. I am using Windows XP Professional. Not VISTA.I assume it will be OK! Yes, you should be OK :)2. Is the Trainer to be used off line without the Baron software running? Just for training me on how to use it? You can use the trainer outside of the sim just as you would for training yourself or using Garmin's tutorials.3. Does the Baron start the "trainer" and use it during all flights as an interface to the Garmin 530 on the aircraft panel? When you load the Dreamfleet RXP Baron it automatically starts the interface software running the background to access the Garmin trainer, you don't need to prestart anything, just use the sim and aircraft like you would any other.4. Does it use the internet during the flight? That could slow things down a bit. No, you don't have to be connected to the internet while using it.5. Or, during a flight, is the Baron software running by itself? Basically, what is the trainer interface? It is a special program written by RealityXP that runs the Garmin trainer in the background with as small a footprint as possible so it is almost transparent. Dreamfleet/Flight has a 30 day gaurantee so you really don't have anything to lose... try it out for yourself and you will discover why it is the favorite sim aircraft of many.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Hi,You mean the A36 .. single engine (converted Bonanza) right?

Best Regards,

OK,Thanks to all of you for the help here!I will go purchase the Baron 58 and give it a try here in MSFS9.Best Regards,

Best Regards,

>>2. Is the Trainer to be used off line without the Baron>software running? Just for training me on how to use it? You>can use the trainer outside of the sim just as you would for>training yourself or using Garmin's tutorials.To add to what Zane has stated. You can actually input a flight plan into the Trainer program directly (GNS unit) outside of FS, save it, and it will be there in FS next time you fly.Lately, I typically load all my flight plans outside FS via the Trainer. Perhaps not quite as 'realistic' as doing it 'in the cockpit', but alows one less thing I need to do prior to take-off.

Bkeske,Thanks for the additional information.I will give it a try.I normally use FSbuild to create the flight plan (LevelD763) to get fuel required, leg times, altitudes etc. etc .... If I find a profile for the Baron then I will use it in FSbuild ... until then I will calculate manually.All you guys have done a good job to get me going. Thanks for your TIME and great ASSISTANCE. Very much appreciated!I always wanted a good "twin" to practice ILS procedures locally and for shorter flights.I downloaded/installed the Baron without a problem. Read some of the 108 page manual .... lot more to read here!After this post I will bring it up in MSFS9 for the first time and look around the cockpit a bit.Best Regards,

Best Regards,

>I normally use FSbuild to create the flight plan (LevelD763)>to get fuel required, leg times, altitudes etc. etc .... If I>find a profile for the Baron then I will use it in FSbuild ...>until then I will calculate manually.I typically use FS Nav to create my plan, export it to FS, print out the FS Nav flight plan, then install the flight plan into the Trainer before starting FS.You still have to do it manually.There is a way to export your RXP flight Plan into FS....you'll find out how via the doc's, or do a search on the RXP Forum:http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=12

OK,I will read up on the thread you gave me for exporting the plans.I will do it the same way, thanks. Buid it, train it, load it and go fly.Well, I got it from cold and dark, started, avionics on.The Baron looks great, sounds are great, and I've had my TrackIR working hard looking around and behind the yoke to see where everything is located in the VC cockpit.Time for me to do some serious reading now.I used the Garmin 500 alot so it should not be too hard to get it going .... I will practice on the ground with a VOR sitting right in fron of me (like at KSFO).

Best Regards,