Sign in to follow this  

Gameport to USB ---please help

Guest gasebah

Hi,I bought a new computer yesterday. Problem:My old AETI Yoke is gameport but the new computer will not support gameport at all!! Not even if I install a soundcard with a gameport. How are the options to convert the gameport to USB? How good is the stuff u can buy.? Is there any chance I can use all buttons of my yoke?Or should I get rid of the mobo?Any reports are appreciated.Alex

In what precise way does your computer not support the gameport ? If you supply details, we may be able to help.If you want to stick with the gamport devices, you might like to think about getting a dedicated gameport card. I used one very successfully in FS98 on my old P350MHz PC, where the default gameport on the soundcard was switched off. Alastair

Guest gasebah

Guys,I am using XP but it has nothing to do with this it is a mobo problem. I have bought a special offer computer from one of the big retailers. I is basically an AsusA7N8X but it is missing some features like e.g.: Serial ATA and the gameport connector. There is a gameport connector on the original Asus board as well as on the OEM version, but the OE version does not have the control over it in he BIOS.When I install the soundcard the gameport will have the yellow mark and Windows says there are no resources available for this device. But there is no real conflict, no other device is using the E/A 200-207. BTW the soundcard works well.Alex

Alex,Maybe trivial:But if you use the gameconnector on the sound card, did you remember to disable the mobo-gameport in the BIOS ?Rob

Good advice, but in my experience---you just can not find them (game port card) anymore. "Sorry sir, but we haven't had much call for that...with USB and all.." Yeah...right.That has been my sad response. I had a MS PRO stick stop working when I went to a higher freq CPU.I have to go the USB option as well!Cheers!Mitch R.

Also, the radio shack converters are not very good for joystick applications, as they only have (I think) 64 discrete steps in their operation. It makes the yoke more digital feeling. There fine for throttles, but I've been less than pleased with them for control surfaces. I had heard of other converters with better ways, but I can't recall what they are. You should be able to get a soundcard based gameport adapter installed, as stated below, your going to have to play with the CMOS to get it working. Good luck...--jeff

Hi Alex,I ordered an Asus A7N8X too. Not sure about the following since I don't have it yet. But the mobo should have an onboard gameport. You need an additional cable, from the mobo to a connector slot. I believe it's shipped with the Deluxe version only, so maybe you can get it at your store. Maybe a BIOS update helps too?Don't know about any special version, maybe you know more than I. So my post may be senseless, just my thoughts...Anyway, I've the same problem (CH Flightstick Pro) but I decided to change to USB, not sure which stick yet...Best regards,Robert:-rotorEDCJMetro Helicopters

Guest gasebah

Rob,there is no onboard gamecontroller. So nothing to disable. The whole story actually is very simple. This computer has an Asus board with an nForce2 chipset that usually would be a lot more expensive. So in order to be able to sell to one of he big retailers they made a special version without the onboard gameport enabled. To make sure there is really a difference they don't allow you to install any gameport at all by simply blocking the IN/OUT adresses. This way they can tell any smaller dealer that the discount board is totally different from what they are selling.I now strip down an old CHYoke to convert my AETI to USB. So far I have all axis working and the rest should also be possible.Alex

I just figured out why my 1998 MS PRO stick won't work since upgrading to 1.4 GHz from 500 MHz. Simply, that the polling timing at 1.4 GHz is too fast for my 1998 piece of equipment.My MS Pro Force works just fine.Go figure....Mitch R.