Sign in to follow this  
Nickdj

Textures loading slow..solution?

Hey guys,Is there anyway to program that FS loads the texture faster? Sometimes they dont even load and it looks like this...just awfulhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162811.jpgAnyways to solve this? kind of bothering me.. Sometimes it does load sometimes it doenst load at all (im flying now)As i was typing this i paused the simulation now it is all loaded:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/162812.jpgLet me know what you guys thinkcheersNick

Hi Lots of ram will help,defrag ya drive,lock your fps way lower than what your system can do,switch of any unneeded background tasks,basically anything that will give you a bit more headroom so the sim can preload rather than playing catch upcheersWozza

You don't list your system specs, but you can try editing the Texure_Bandwidth_Mult= entry in FS9.CFG. Default is 40 try 100 and go from there.Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.9's6x Adaptive AA/16x HQ A/FIntegrated SoundDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

Please see my thread here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...26&mesg_id=2926It may be of help. The texture_bandwith_mult needs to be used in conjunction with a fps lock and another cfg entry, described in my link. Please keep in mind if you slew fast enough, the textures won't keep up. But in normal flight, up to the flight levels and about 480kts groundspeed, my textures stay very realistic........and that's on a P3/800 with a Gef 4200 and only 512 megs of Ram-John

I have no idea why..but its still like the first screen shot i posted...I really really am sad now that it cant be fixed....and im not gonna re-install FS cause i already have so many addons/downloads etc.btw, its the Switzerland Pro in the screen shot..maybe the textures are too big or something?? Is there anything i can change?? :(It certainly isn't my system as that is fine...let me know pleaseNick

"btw, its the Switzerland Pro in the screen shot..maybe the textures are too big or something??"Ahhhh. That's the key there. I believe your system is alright, but photoreal textures take up the most resources of all, much more so than the default scenery. Try doing a flight over the generic U.S. scenery, such as over Iowa or Kansas. Does the same issue appear? My hunch is it won't, because FS9 isn't under demand to load so many unique textures. With Swiss Pro, every texture is unique.The solution is twofold--first, avoid fast aircraft over photoreal scenery and stick to GA flying. Your sim won't be asked to do as much, as quickly, and you'll also be able to enjoy the scenery better. More importantly, cut your visibility back to 30 miles, so the sim doesn't have to display as many textures. You can improve things even more by unchecking extended terrain textures when flying with the vis at 30 miles. Just remember to enable them again when you're flying outside of the photoreal area. Photoreal scenery on the scale of Swiss Pro exceeds what FS9 was originally designed for. But it can work if you give the sim more time to focus on loading textures. -John

Regarding FPS being locked. For blurries problem in FS9, I believe it has to be set Unlimited (in FSX to set it locked at a partoicular FPS like 20-25FPS).You can try either way and see which works best for you yourself.You need many things lined up to solve the Blurris issue.1. You need a clean HD. Defragged and maybe place the sceneries on the outer cylinder of your HD. (install the sceneries in folders like C:AAAA_Scenery" amd then sorting it alphabetically. (O&O defrag does that)2. You need a good CPU and a good Video card with lots of memory (min 256MB , preferable 512MB video cards).3. Setting FPS at unlimited for FS9. (limited for FSX + Fiber % at > .33).4. get a real fast HD. Raptor disks in RAID 05. no matter what..FPS cannot drop below 15-20 in FS9 and not below 12FPS in FSX. You will have blurries no matter what else you do then.6. See how fast you can fly without blurries. I see you are flying a jet. You may not have blurries when you fly 115Kts but you may have blurries at 250kts. I love flying Photosceneries...but hated the blurries. Eventually I kind of got it be managable. After spending lots of money and spending lots of time trying to understand how this thing works. and a little experimenting.I have set it up in my system that I can fly at 250kts without blurries for Photo sceneries. in FSX and in FS9. Infact, in FSX I can fly at 600kts without blurries if I set the Fiber % to over .75, but then I get slight pause (stutter like) since it works the HD a lot. So I found a balance at .60. Unfortunately there is no such settings in FS9. But keeping the FPS unlimited helped in FS9.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Thanks for the feedback..I have a friend who has a little computer shop and im going to trade my 9800 GT and im getting a: 7950GX2 Dual GPU PCIe now that would be good :) I can get it rather cheap since im trading it for my 9800GT.Indeed this blurry thing does happen most at the SwissPro. In us its much better.One more question. What is better? Flying the sim in window form or in full screen?cheers! Thanks again guysNick

Might try this:

Hey guys,Is there anyway to program that FS loads the texture faster? Sometimes they dont even load and it looks like this...just awfulhttp://forums.avsim....iles/162811.jpg

Anyways to solve this? kind of bothering me.. Sometimes it does load sometimes it doenst load at all (im flying now)As i was typing this i paused the simulation now it is all loaded:http://forums.avsim....iles/162812.jpgLet me know what you guys thinkcheersNick

I've had the same problem. For years FSX worked fine, then all of a sudden, I started having this problem. I deleted files to free up space on the hard drive. I tried turning off scenery, but that didn't work. I tried lowering all of the different textures. That didn't work either. Finally, I read a post from someone on this site that suggested that the virus scanner was trying to check out every texture, which is what took so long. I disabled the active protection on my Viper virus scanner and it worked. Now when I run FSX, I just disable it for a period of time. Try it. I was amazed.....

^^ Well this has actually worked for me. I have no idea why. But FS simply wasn't updating ground textures, unless I paused or minimized window. I did another google search in desperation. When I read this suggestion I tried disabling Avast and imediately FS started refreshing textures and hasn't stopped yet during the flight.

Rui Laureano

Lisboa, Portugal

Flying the sim in window form or in full screen?

Windowed mode in FS9 provides slightly better FPS because AA is not used (my understanding anyway). Full screen utilizes the full list of GPU settings available including AA, in that case you get better looking textures at a slight performance cost. What Alex posted in #11 reflects the idea of shutting down as many background tasks as you can and still remain safe and have your particular system still function without errors. Some of the worst resource hogs are some anti viruses, any program that the authors have set up to constantly check for updates and / or are set up to run a thread at start up so when you do use it (click on the short cut or executable) that software will start a bit faster - hardly any difference anyway and not needed, just a waste of CPU resources and therefore harmful to FS performance. You can check this with MS Task Manager or use Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com.

It would also be helpful to know which Operating System you are using so that I (Windows XP) or someone with W7 or W8 experience might advise you on the best way to disable any start up items you wish to shut down so you don't have to do it manually every time you want to fly. I should also mention that this would improve your overall performance and not just FS.

As others have already written, graphics card driver settings and FS configuration settings along with properly formated and flagged textures are also very important parts of the whole set up process.

I hope this helps on your path to a better FS experience.

Regards,

Mel

Just another idea, if you don't feel comfortable with your Antivirus software disabled completely while flying: I don't have Avast, but I think every Antivirus software has a possibility to exclude the main FS processes (FS9 itself, navigation software, wheather application etc.) from being monitored constantly. I did so with good results, my Antivirus software - although generally active - doesn't hinder FS9 and it's associate applications from working well.

Regards, Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Windowed mode in FS9 provides slightly better FPS because AA is not used (my understanding anyway). Full screen utilizes the full list of GPU settings available including AA, in that case you get better looking textures at a slight performance cost.

Hi Mel.

That's true to an extent: FS own anti aliasing doesn't work in windowed mode. However, external graphics control still does.

In any case, for controllers like Nvidia Inspector it's usually recommended that you turn off FS own AA to prevent it interfering, even if you set the external control to over-ride the application settings. I find with Nvidia Inspector doing the AA that FPS in windowed mode depends more on the size of the window and that maximised window (rather than full screen) is the worst.

As an aside, having a standalone XP 3 PC at home means I can get away with a meagre 26 background processes running :rolleyes:

... but it does mean no multi-player flying, no real-time weather, no up-to-date approach plates etc etc  :( .

Best regards,

Dave

Hello Dave,

That's true to an extent: FS own anti aliasing doesn't work in windowed mode. However, external graphics control still does.

In any case, for controllers like Nvidia Inspector it's usually recommended that you turn off FS own AA to prevent it interfering, even if you set the external control to over-ride the application settings. I find with Nvidia Inspector doing the AA that FPS in windowed mode depends more on the size of the window and that maximised window (rather than full screen) is the worst.

I could not agree more - you said it better than I did and in more detail.

As an aside, having a standalone XP 3 PC at home means I can get away with a meagre 26 background processes running

XP Pro sp3 also, that apparently = Luddite, these days but it works for me! :Big Grin:

24, with one of those not really needed but it doesn't run until system shut down anyway. I could get down as low as 22 if I chose to shut down my anti virus while running FS9. Like so many other tweaks I'm not sure the last 2 make much difference anyway. Also the anti virus is set not to scan any FS9 related operations so the only thing that would be 'paused' is the updating.

Thanks and best regards,

Mel