Sign in to follow this  
Guest johnegg

A word of caution !!

Guest johnegg

I wonder how many of you can relate to this?A FS9 install with bucket loads of add ons, aircraft and scenery, freeware and payware.Hours of happy tweaking to end up with a smooth and pleasant flight experience.Then you see an add on and think just one more!This is what happened to me on saturday. I liked the look of the Aerosoft AES so downloaded it and installed ok.Next time I flew and whilst changing from full screen and minimized screen and back so as to start RC4 etc FS9 hung, rebooted and tried again, the same thing happened.After many frustrating hours I uninstalled AES and turned back my PC to an earlier time thankfully FS9 is now back to its glorious self!So, the word of warning, always create a restore point before installing any software and test your Flight sim after each and every install, it gives you a fighting chance of identifying any problems and being able to rectify them early.JohnPentium4 3.2 Ghz HT1024MB DDR320 GB HDDGeforce FX5200TrackIR pro4RC4AS v6.5FDC

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/forum_i...ersupporter.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporterhttp://wwwprecisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi, A cautionary tale indeed, which after a calamitious catastroph I can wholeheartedly agree with. I of course had not created a restore point and am sufferering now!Free flow Bahamas scenery from Avsim here the other day.Lovely i thought. in fact my fps suffered and so i deleted it and sent off with it into the aether a .NET installation and the 3 parts of CLI.exe. Why do that ? I have no idea;possibly a branestawm.Now My ATI Control Centre is completely knackered and I consider myself lucky to still have a flight sim to fly!!Andy.

I got a better one! My wife works for the government and when they decommision a computer they use a floppy to boot the computer which then runs a program from the floppy which wipes clean the hard drive. She was making a copy of the floppy to CD using my computer last week and inadvertenly left it in my computer.... You guessed it!:-hang I'm still in the process (after the Windows re-install) of rebuilding FS with all the add-ons. I guess the good news is that I was experiencing an fps drop recently and whatever was causing it is now gone! I had backed up almost everything to CD's so the process is tedious but will evenetually get done. Mike

>Ouch!!!>>Hopefully she has made it up to you!!!>;)>>I was thinking the same thing.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest RiddlePilot

Ha, don't you know how it works...it was his fault for not checking to see if a disk was in the drive. Women can't be blamed for that kind of stuff.

>Ha, don't you know how it works...it was his fault for not>checking to see if a disk was in the drive. Women can't be>blamed for that kind of stuff.:-lol :-lol Would not show your post to my wife!

Riddlepilot has the right of it! My favorite author, Robert Jordan, has one of his characters express it best: "Women will only admit they are wrong when it snows in July, or when they want something." Mike

>> I got a better one! My wife works for the government and>when they decommision a computer they use a floppy to boot the>computer which then runs a program from the floppy which wipes>clean the hard drive. She was making a copy of the floppy to>CD using my computer last week and inadvertenly left it in my>computer.... You guessed it!Wow....wiped out your hard drive....that's grounds for divorce! :-lol"Yes your honor, perhaps the alimony we're requesting may sound unreasonably high....but your honor, the defendant is responsible for deleting the plaintiff's Flight Simulator 2004 installation, WITH ADDONS!"GG