Sign in to follow this  
atc_scott

I flew...and had fun!!

I am sure everyone has had one of those great flights. That is what hooked me in to flight sim in the first place. I haven't had much time to sim lately, and all the hubub with the new sim has put a damper on my simming...feeling out of the cutting edge envelope has bothered me lately. Tonight I flew from Bremerton Washington (Mark Smith) great free-ware from the library here...to Portland Hillsboro (payware) everyone knows who...:)I started out VFR but ran in to low scud and showers...filed an IFR airborne, and ATC took me right in. I canceled IFR about 20 miles out and flew down the valley into beutiful scenery. I was using a freeware AI program aiseparation from (Armando Di Francesco) that let me squeeze in perfectly into the traffic pattern. Everything worked well...and it was a hoot nailing the landing and taxiing to parking. I am sure everyone has had...one of those flights...What are your favorite moments in Flight sim lately?Cheers,Scott

Nice post. I think I'll try this flight out myself, since I have both of these sceneries. ricardo

Thanks for the suggestion, you're a mind reader. I was just got around to installing FSG Portland this w/e, plus I bought the Carenado 182Q on sale. I also installed Holger's free CSG scenery along with the UT and FSG patches (man, that was a lot of mind numbing work, but the results are very nice). I forgot about Smith's Bremerton scenery, that will absolutely be a good fit. Good plug for aiseperation, I think that was the first program released to tackle a problem many had complained about. I've seen how aiseperation is very solid in reliably forcing the AI aircraft to seperate, although I prefer aismooth. My best moments lately have been flying the Kittyhawk cargo DF 727-200 with Simufly's CIV-A INS mod to the VC by the author meatwater into and out of Cloud9's KLAX. It seems crazy, but this is also the type of narrowly focused richness will keep me flying FS9 for a long time.

My favorite moments are wrecking default 737s into featureless desert terrain on a clear day. That's a lame joke...anyway, lately I seem to be enjoying flights in the pacific NW region in either my Aeroworx B200 or DA Cheyenne. I'm not abandoning my big jets though (and the legacy for that matter). I'll do some longer flights in those soon. That's what's great in FS. I can have "everything". :)Happy simming. As far as FSX goes. I have it but don't fly it. It's IMO definitely the way of the future. But it's still the "future" for me. Maybe in two years I'll switch.Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest GA Flyer

Theres also a lot to do with whats outside of the sim that can make a great flight. When you take away any chance for a distraction and have time for a flight with nothing pressing to do... your off to a great start. Then once in the flight and you fly the entire flight without any CTD's or items along that line (like a automatic update popping up) well your really getting set up for a good flight.Thens there the time when in a weird way the outside world kinda melts into the sim like doing a morning flight in the morning and having the outside sky seem to compliment the sky in the sim. Or the sound of morning birds and tranquility outside being faded out by the start of the engine playing loud over the speakers with a great sound engine sound file.Lastly a flight like this could be when you turn off the FPS meter and havent added anything for awhile and the testing phase is over because you found your sweet spot of settings...those are great flights indeed.Hadn't had one..tell me, whats it like?!!!Just kidding btw.

I flew that route not very long ago in the DF Baron using the Reality XP set up with the GPS system.. was quite a bit of fun! :)

I've had lots of fun flights recently. I've done a lot of GA flights all over the Bahamas with Free Flow's new scenery. I've also been doing a lot of west coast flying in the FSD Seneca 2.0, starting all the way south in Tijuana going all the way up to Portland (and still going when I get the time).

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

What a great idea Craig. Here I live in San Diego and have never once thought of going up the "Left Coast". Think of all the great changes in scenery you would come across. Thx for the idea.ClutchProject 9Dragons

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Guest thedoggg

All my flights are "fun flights"Carlos

Just did one in my coolsky MD80 from EDDV to LOWW at dawn. I have to keep flights short with that wonderful bird due to OOM errors.I'll post a few shots in the SS forums. It was quite fun.

Thanks for the replies! I am glad to see that I am not the only person in the world that is crazy about flight simming. I have never actually met anyone that flies flight sim like me...or the other sim pilots on this forum. I guess it would be nice to come to one of the AVSIM conventions. My wife is convinced I am the only FS crazy person in the world!!Cheers,Scott