Sign in to follow this  
Guest macman4

XP or XP Pro?

Guest macman4

I.m going to reformat my hard drive. I have Windows XP and XP Pro. Which would be better to run FS9 and FSX, or is there any more benifits to running one or the other. All replys welcomed :9 Bob

One thing that you might consider is whether or not your system uses hyperthreading. I am aware that FS9 doesn't support HT directly and of the arguments pro and con re: HT, but WinXP Home doesn't support HT at all and WinXP Pro does have support for mulitple processors.I have noticed that my HT enabled system runs better overall with PRO and HT than it did with HOME and no HT. I do not think that there is a significant difference with FS9, but overall system performance is better for me with PRO.Hope that's useful.Ed GreenKCLThttp://www.panelshop.com/Banners/DEV.jpg

http://www.oncourse-software.co.uk/forum_images/fdc_beta.jpg

"But WinXP Home doesn't support HT at all and WinXP Pro does have support for mulitple processors."Not true, Win XP Home supports HT just fine as it is supported through the task scheduler that is part of the XP kernel. As the XP kernel is the same in both Home and Pro, there is no difference in HT performance.XP Pro does indeed support multiple processor SOCKETS, but XP home will be just fine for multi CORE Cpu's such as HT enabled P4's right upto the latest Core 2 Duo'sUnless you need the added security and network deployment features of XP Pro, there is no reason not to use XP Home.Regards,Glenn

Guest Phantoms

Does Home offer compression? I have Pro and know it supports encryption which Home doesn't, but I'm not sure if it's the same with compression which let's you compress/decompress on the fly. You can compress files, directories or even a drive. There was much discussion whether compressing the FS directory helped/hurt performance in the past, but I'm not suggesting one way or the other. However, you can compress mostly static folders such as My Documents, old files, etc. to free up more space for FS, free space and the swap file. If Home has compression, then this argument is mute.

Yes, you can compress folders in XP Home.I'm not sure that's really a big issue these days with 320+ GB HD's going for less than $100Glenn