Sign in to follow this  

Crash Damage Conundrum

Because my two year old son has taken in interest in flight simming with me, I'm re-exploring the idea of enabling crash damage so that he doesn't develop the impression that crashing into the ground has no consequences. I am aware from searching through the forums that one needs to put an entry in the .cfg file for each plane that I want to show damage on. But here's what I can't figure out:If I set the realism settings to detect crash and reset flight, then I never have the chance to see the damage caused to the plane, because it resets immediately.I I set ignore crash, then I can't choose to have stress cause damage or to have collisions with other aircraft cause damage.What do I do so that flying into the ground, buildings, trees, other planes, etc. causes visible (and actual) damage to my aircraft but does not immediately reset the flight (i.e., I'd like to see the damgage for more than 1/2 second). Mainly, I hate waiting for the scenario to reload entirely before I can go back to the main menu and choose a different aircraft, location, etc.Any suggestions?Thanks!Jesse

Guest imemyself

There isn't really damage per se, when you crash the models and or textures don't change.

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Here is what you are looking for and will work with most default FS2K2 aircraft.To enable crash damage effects you must: 1) Make sure realism is set to HIGH 2) Be sure ignore crash is NOT checked 3) Go to aircraft.cfg file for the plane you want to have visual damage (IT HAS TO BE BUILT INTO THE MODEL OR IT WON'T WORK!) and immediately after the line that reads: ui_variation= , insert the following:visual_damage=1 Now you should see wings come off and fuselage break apart as well as charred ends with fire & smoke.But, it is dependent on WHERE you hit an object though.

Thanks, Carmine! The only way I know how to make sure ignore crash is not checked is to check "detect crash and reset". But then as soon as I crash, it reloads to an earlier part of the flight (leaving no time for wings to come off or landing gear break, etc). What I'd like to do is see that I crashed, or limp my way to the hanger, or whatever, and then load another flight up when I feel like it. Does that make sense? Is there a way to do that?Thanks in advance,Jesse

Guest Rockcliffe

I made sure to check 'ignore crash' if my six-year-old daughter wants to take a plane for a spin. We flew to Vancouver a couple of weeks ago and I DIDN'T want her to be thinking about the consequence of hitting the ground.Just my thoughts

Guest imemyself

What a/c will the damage=1 thing work in?

Most default aircraft, e.g. the Baron.

I think what you are looking for is not an option in FS2K2. I too was trying to figure out a way so that it doesn't reset but concluded there was no way. My toughts are that since this version came out after 9/11 MS might of considered crashing not part of flying and they made the choice to not glorify, if you will, crashing because I thought in earlier version it wouldn't reset but not 100% sure on that.Kilstorm

good thinking, Rockcliffe! Now that I see what the crash damage looks like, I agree completely. I was more imagining that there would just be wheels that would go flat if you landed too hard, etc...didn't realize explosions, etc. were part of the picture! Thanks all for your help :)Jesse