Sign in to follow this  
gavi25

What Microsoft services to shutdown?

Hi there, I have read many times about people shutting down the services that run in the background on pc's to make FS9 run better.I have many microsoft services running when I look in the msconfig, but don't know which ones I can safely shutdown.Is there a guide anywhere or if anyone can suggest anything to me?Kind RegardsGavin Moss

Guest ThrottleUp

Here you go mate:http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htmThe list of services is listed here. Click on each one in turn to see wether you can shut it down safetly. Ideally you shoudl use a tabbed browser so you can open multiple entries at once :)Remember to back up all vital data on your computer and also create a system-restore before doing any of this.Id like to add that I have used this list to shut down useless services on my machine and I notice a big difference - not just in games but in daily Windows performance. A good example - from pressing the power button to the desktop appearing takes about 12 seconds. Before the services tweak it took almost a minute.

Try using Ken Salter's FSAutostart located right here in the File Library. The list explains what services are and what they do and even recommends if they are vital or not. I have been using it for years.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Guest aca_dia

I have never tried FSAutostart. Just got it and the instructions are supposed to be online, but the site is gone. Does anyone have the instructions?