Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Using FS2004 in 1600x1200

Hello Guys !!I am now using FS2004 with a LCD monitor that has a resolution of 1280x1024. I have an AMD 4600+ Dual Core with 2GB of RAM and a GeForce 7900 GTX with 256 MB of memory.Now I would like to increase the resolution and buy a 1600x1200 LCD screen (20 inches).My question is:Is there a big impact on the frame rate if I change from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200?I can easily understand the graphic card has more pixels to paint, but does it really impact the performance?If some of you can switch from a resolution to the other, you might give me the answer ;-)Thanks !!Eric

Guest efuchs

Eric!Sorry, I dont know to answer your problem.....Howewer, I would like to thank you for your amazing A320 panel. Its... payware quality: amazing. I would like you to know I am using you superb panel everywhere, around Europe, US, and South America.In the name of the flight simulatot community, thanks.It is because you and all those freeware authors that flight simulator is such a nice hobby.THANKS!

Yes, you will see a framerate hit. I did not realize I would until I moved to a wide screen. I would say the drop was approx. 15-20%, thus I bought a bit stronger video card with double the pipelines. That took care of it.

Do you think my 7900 GTX will do the trick?What video card do you have?FYI, my system runs 30 fps easily with the default aircrafts, 20 to 25 with complex aircrafts. I am quite happy with this. How much do you have?Thanks for your information,Eric

Eric, I have an ATI X850XT, 256, and 16 pipelines, running at 540/1300 +/- (can't remember exactly as I am at work and have 4 over clocking profiles). I don't know what your specs are for the 7900 off hand.Your dual core will help tremendously vs, my system, but I would still expect a hit with the higher resolution regardless. BTW, it is well worth it. I run my wide screen with TrackIR and the results are very nice indeed.I was running an ATI X800GT 256 w/8 pipes @ +/- 475/1100 prior.....and if anyone wants it, it is still for sale on the 'swap forum', over clocks like a champ, just too few pipes for my system.

Guest Yak Yak

your system can handle that resolution without a problem.One of my PCs has a similar spec as your's (but with a slightly higher cpu, amd 4800 duel core). But same 2gigs corsair, 7900gtx, etc.i've ran fs9 on it at 2560x1600 res! (apple 30" cinema display) and i can get a butter-smooth 30fps with it (full-ai, weather, etc). i usually run fs9 on a x850xt @ 1920x1200, also butter smooth at 30fps locked. So long story short, your card can handle it...the key is make sure fs9 is configured correctly (dxt3 textures, clean xp-setup, etc).also, LCD screens like to run at their native res (or the graphic might look blurry). So check the default res of that monitor first...some are 1920x1200 these days...or 1440x900...etc-feng

Thanks for the answer, it seems that I can go for it ;-)The 20 inch monitor I saw has a 1600x1200 native resolution, and I want nothing else, no 16/9 for me...Eric

Your system can handle it easily, but as I say, whenever you increase resolution, your frame rates will take a hit regardless.But, you will be fine.

I have a Samsung 20" LCD and have very little frame rate hit running at 1600x1200 (maybe 2-3 fps).It looks awesome BTW.

Guest SilverCircle

>I am now using FS2004 with a LCD monitor that has a resolution>of 1280x1024. I have an AMD 4600+ Dual Core with 2GB of RAM>and a GeForce 7900 GTX with 256 MB of memory.>Now I would like to increase the resolution and buy a>1600x1200 LCD screen (20 inches).>My question is:>Is there a big impact on the frame rate if I change from>1280x1024 to 1600x1200?There will be a small overall impact. A video card of that class is fast enough to handle it. Even on my ATI x850XT (which should be quite a bit slower than your card), I see little impact when changing resolution from 1600x1200 (which I use by default) down to 1280 which I use sometimes to take screenshots or record videos.>I can easily understand the graphic card has more pixels to>paint, but does it really impact the performance?More pixels to paint basically means: Some more load on the GPU which has to do all the filtering stuff and more data needs to be transferred which means a higher memory bandwidth requirement on the video card.Cranking up the resolution will only result in a *big* impact when you actually reach the pixel fillrate limit.

I know the others have already answered the question, but just for comparison's sake, my old Northwood 3.4 with an x800 XL works quite well with my new Samsung LCD at 1600x1200, with only a few FPS lost as a result. And it does look fantastic on the flat screen.

John G.

I wish I could fly at 1600x1200, but my Viewsonic VX922 has a max res of 1280x1024 and it says I can physically damage the screen if I force a higher res.I remember 160x1200 on my old 19" CRT. Lovely.

Guest aca_dia

>Hello Guys !!>I am now using FS2004 with a LCD monitor that has a resolution>of 1280x1024. I have an AMD 4600+ Dual Core with 2GB of RAM>and a GeForce 7900 GTX with 256 MB of memory.>Now I would like to increase the resolution and buy a>1600x1200 LCD screen (20 inches).>My question is:>Is there a big impact on the frame rate if I change from>1280x1024 to 1600x1200?>I can easily understand the graphic card has more pixels to>paint, but does it really impact the performance?>>If some of you can switch from a resolution to the other, you>might give me the answer ;-)>>Thanks !!>Eric>I made the same kind of monitor switch a month or two ago. I have a P4 3.2HT 2GB 6800GT 256mb and had been on a 19" CRT running 1280x1024. I now have a HP LP2065 20.1" LCD with a native resolution of 1600x1200 and that is what i run FS9 at. To be honest I am pretty sure that I saw a FPS increase with the new display and it sure looks much better. I did a few tests while I still had the CRT and I was getting consistently better FPS with the CRT at a higher res. I am talking about approximately a 5 FPS gain across the board.Two thoughts. As I understand it when using an LCD you are best running at the native res or you will take a performance hit. Also could my apparent FPS gain be connected to switching from an analog connection with the the CRT to a digital DVI connection with the LCD? In other words could a digital connection at least on my video card be more efficient and in some way improve my performance?