Sign in to follow this  
turner112

A few FSGenesis mesh questions

Hi - I just tried a freeware version of the FSGenesis West Coast mesh, and I have a few questions about it -First - while it just may be my imagination, my frame rates seem to increase. Can that be right?Next... about water bodies - does the mesh actually affect coastlines, including lakes? It doesn't seem to; I took a look at Miramar Lake (near MCAS Miramar in San Diego) and it was just totally wrong; that said, the water body still fit neatly into the mesh.Also, I can't seem to find much here on NuRoads 2 - I currently have USA Roads and am not sure if there's much difference, or if it's worth looking into Ultimate Terrain or something.Any help appreciated-thxAndrew

I have almost all the FSGenesis mesh, and it is a great product.No, mesh does not change coastlines, add lakes, roads, etc. It only improves the stock elevation changes per real life. I would highly recommend Ultimate Terrain USA for that job, which also includes roads (and railroads IIRC). The combination of those two programs cannot be beat IMO, and is even made better with GE Pro II.

Totally concur; FSG Mesh, the landclass, plus UT_USA and GE Pro means incredible scenery. Nothing better.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I think the frames performance of FS9 mesh is controlled by the sliders, rather than the actual mesh files. Of course, with higher resolution mesh, the idea would be to move the sliders right to take advantage of it.With respect to coastlines / water bodies / airports, in most cases they are defined with mesh-flattening directives. Thus, they will have the same shape and elevation, regardless of the mesh used. This can cause some visual problems, if the positioning of the features is not accurate. For example, a coastline too far seaward would have a sea level area of ground behind it, while a coastline too far inland could have a steep cliff behind it.scott s..

I'll add a positive post for the Genesis mesh programs. Just DL'd my first Genesis mesh (US West Coast) a few days ago and with GE Pro the sim is looking fantastic! Now the whole West Coast looks as good as MegaScenery terrain but with much better low altitude detail. It was $11 very well spent. Going to get the Quebec and Yukon mesh this weekend. A question about Ultimate Terrain. If I put UT on top of GE Pro, which one takes priority? They seem to do many of the same things, like textures and night lighting. How do I keep the GE Pro textures and lighting but get the UT coastlines?Thanks.

>A question about Ultimate Terrain. If I put UT on top of GE>Pro, which one takes priority? They seem to do many of the>same things, like textures and night lighting. How do I keep>the GE Pro textures and lighting but get the UT coastlines?>>Thanks.They work together perfectly. Ultimate Terrain does not have textures, only land class. Land class 'tells' the textures where to be placed. The only lighting UT controls is the lighting type 'color' and road night lighting intensity in terms of traffic. Once UT is installed, and GE Pro is activated for your flight to your preference (GE Pro II only), it will over-write. That is your choice. IMO, GE Pro II has some of the best night lighting effects which have ever been created for FS9.I would not worry about where they are placed initially, they will work regardless. But if you want more in depth info on ordering of the layers, simply visit the UT forum, as the issue has been brought up before.It really isn't that complicated once you get everything working. The must-haves for FS9, IMO, are:ASv6FS Genesis Mesh Ultimate Terrain (can also sandwich FS Genesis land class with UT's)GE Pro II...and some folks would throw Flight Environment into that mix as well.

Thanks.Looking to get UT Canada/Alaska soon along with the Atlantic Canada mesh. I'm going to check out the UT forums and see what's said about layering everything together.Just to mention, I was getting lots of CTDs after installing the Genesis West Coasts Mesh over GE Pro. Not sure yet, but I think they happened because I changed settings in-flight, be it season or time of day, or map-slewing to a diffeent location. So far, when I start a flight and don't change anything in-flight, everything's fine.

Good information here, everyone - thanks.Quick question - I see there is an FSX version of North America - http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchan...tegory_Code=FSXbut I can't find the equivalent for FS9... I assume the closest thing is this:http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchan...ategory_Code=USWhich seems to be 75 meter.. and for higher res, it seems like the $40 1-year membership is the way to go since the 38.2 meter resolution mesh isn't available as a set.cheersAndrew

>Which seems to be 75 meter.. and for higher res, it seems like>the $40 1-year membership is the way to go since the 38.2>meter resolution mesh isn't available as a set.>>cheers>>AndrewPersonally, I would go with the 38.2 meter USA resolution available as separate 'packaged' regions. I have all the 38M mesh for the entire US (including Alaska), all available 38M for Canada, (the rest is 76 I believe), the 76M Europe and Scandinavian, and the 19M Alps.You can overlap mesh, so if you have (as example) 76 that covers a large area, you can lay 'over' a 38 or 19 without a problem. I do that in both Europe and Canada.Yea, I think the membership is the way to go.As far as UT, I have all Canada, USA, and Europe. Great stuff, all.