Sign in to follow this  
Guest iFLYrc

FSM by Ranainside

Guest iFLYrc

I have been using the Flight Simulator Manager by Ranainside for quite some time. I have amassed a gazilion airplanes in my hanger.The bad news is I just got a message "You are using an old version of FSM", and the program will not run. I tried to get a new version from the Ranainside.com web site but it no longer exists.Tell me "all is not lost" and how I can recapture all of my airplanes from the Hanger.

This has been brought up a few times now; you need to turn your computer date back prior to Nov. 2006 IIRC.You might do a search for further info, or I'm sure someone will verify.Unfortunately Rana seems to be out of business in regards to his great FS programs. I hope he is OK.

Guest iFLYrc

Are there any similar programs available?

I personally could not recommend another, but I'm sure there are some.I'm one of those guy's who prefers doing everything 'by hand';)I have FSM, but I think I used it once. Nice program though.As has been stated, you can still use it, you just have to temporarily change the date, then change it back to current (or auto update).

Guest iFLYrc

I looked at Add-on Manager but at $39.00, it is a little more than I want to spend for a FS Manager. Call me cheap but I will just change the date and continue to use FSM. Thanks....

I'm a bit disappointed too.For what it is worth, you can simply manually put the aircraft to sleep that you are not currently interested in useing.Just edit your "aircraft.cfg" for each aircraft to be "aircraft.sleep". That is what FSManager does anyway with the fleets you disable. (Yea, I know, it is a lot of typing if you have a hanger full, but at least you only have to do it once). Once I saw what they did, I started enabling only one aircraft at a time rather than a whole fleet.Happy flying:RTH

Guest iFLYrc

RTH, The Flightsim Manager by Ranainside is actually more complicated than that. It actually removes the aircraft files from the Airplane folder in FS9. It then "zips" the aircraft folder and stores it in the FSM Hanger folder. It also checks to see if any of the gauges used by the aircraft are being used by any other active airplanes and makes a backup of the gauges and stores them in the FSM Gauges folder. You can look at your hanger and "restore" any airplane you want. Quite a good piece of programming.I'm sure the renaming of the aircraft.cfg file works, but it does not give you all the bells and whistles that come with FSM. Really a shame to let such a good piece of software "die on the vine".iFLYrc Vichttp://iflyrc.hypermart.net

Negative:I am not talking about the manager hanger. I apologize for useing the term as I simply meant whatever aircraft you had installed in FS. My one attempt at implmenting the manager hanger zapped my computer completely and I had to reformat, reinstall, and start all over. I never was brave enough to fiddle with that provision again.Took me a while to be brave enough to reinstall and use the manager as I had in the past.I am talking about originating fleets. If you do this, she simply edits the aircraft.cfg for every aircraft in that fleet. When they are disabled the aircraft in question do not show up in your selection options for FS. I personally preferred to disable all fleets and then simply enable the preferred aircraft from each fleet thereafter by editing the aircraft.cfg for the bird or birds in question. It makes for a much cleaner selection in FS and is a simple edit of three to five letters ("cfg" or "sleep"). Kind of dingy I know, but I kind of like it.If you ever wanted to enable a mass of aircraft again, you could simply enable the fleet or fleets in question.Happy flying:RTH