Sign in to follow this  
Smokin256

Various questions, Various subjects.

Greetings all!I've got some random questions about FS9.First I use the default traffic & have no real problems with it. But one thing I'd like to change is the ratio of Cessna Grand Caravans to Caravan Amphibians. In-game in the mix of traffic around the PNW where I do most of my flying I seem to see about 90% Caravan Amphibians & 10% Grand Caravans. I'd like to switch that. Around here in real life I almost never see a Caravan Amphibian. But I see Grand Caravans all the time. (At least I assume that's what I'm seeing flying in & out of PDX all day). Is there a simple way to make a change like that?The second and third questions involve brakes. I mostly fly the F1 C152 or the Real Air citabria. And in both those planes (And I believe the default C172 as well) the brakes won't hold during the run-up. At 1700rpm the aircraft always creep. This is using toe brakes in my pedals, or the parking brake or ".""," . I don't fly in real life....Yet! but it's my understanding that if the brakes won't hold during the run-up it's off to the repair shop with it! Am I wrong? or is this true to life? Is this just a trait of FS9? Or is there some tweak that can be made? I've tried every parameter in the aircraft.cfg that looks promising and tried adjusting the braking power entries in the .air file with aired to no avail.Also it seems to take an inordinate amount of power to taxi in the sim. It feels like the brakes are dragging or the main wheels are aligned like an Indi car. As I said I don't fly in real life but everything I've read seems to indicate that 1,000 rpm should be plenty of power to taxi. And I think it would be in the sim too if the brakes weren't dragging. Are there any real life pilots out there who can shed some light on the subject for me? Any tweaks that anybody knows of?The fourth and fifth questions are on the subject of gauges. In the VC I like to adjust the various instruments like the altimeter, VORs, heading indicator and the like by mousing over the hot spot & then using the mousewheel to make adjustments. The problem is that when using TrackIR the gauges default to moving in large increments. Like 10 degrees for the VORs and heading indicator and .04" for the altimeter. I can make them work in 1 degree or .01" increments if I pause TrackIR (or in the case of the Citabria zoom in to 1.5). Does anyone know of a way to make them default to the fine control at all times?Also in the Flight one C152 they have a tach. in the left side of the instrument panel just below VOR1. You can right click on the gauge and replace it with VOR2. I have looked at numerous cockpit photos of C152s and none have a tach in that spot. They may have any number of different nav instruments in there or they may be empty but no tach. Is there a way to make it default to VOR2? I looked through the panel.cfg but the solution did not jump out at me.That's enough for now! If your still with me at this point thank you for reading! :) And thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!Cheers..........Smokin256

you can download the program named 'traffic tools.' this would allow you to edit the ai aircraft types. in doing the search you will also find some programs that work with traffic tools to make editing or creating the ai database easier.ground power and taxi are known challenges within FS.there is a dreamfleet GA aircraft support forum. i suggest you post your DF cessna questions there -http://forums.flightsim.com/dc/dcboard.php...topics&forum=27--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Guest martin842

Re the brakes, increase the value oftoe_brakes_scale=in the AIRCRAFT.CFGThis will incrase the power of the brakes.Martin

Scoob, Thanks for the suggestion about traffic tools. I had done a search for "Traffic" and such hoping to find a solution and saw mention of traffic tools but I was under the impression that traffic tools could not decompile the existing traffic .bgls but could only compile a new one. And that's way beyond the scope of what I want to get involved with. But maybe I misunderstood and that's only with the newest version and FSX?Thanks for the suggestion about the Flightsim.com forums. I do plan to make a post over at the Flight One forums because I have some other C152 specific questions to ask.Thanks again!Cheers.............Smokin256

Scoob, Thanks for the suggestion!I didn't see that entry way down at the bottom there. Anyway I tried bumping it up from the default of 0.64xxxxx to 1.64xxxxxx in .2 increments and it doesn't seem to make a bit of difference. Do you happen to know how much you have to bump it? Or can bump it??Thanks again!Cheers............Smokin256

Guest PARADISE

I believe anything over 1.00000 is overkill for that entry, meaning it will have no additional effect.You can always perform a rolling run-up. Ride the brakes while taxiing out to the active runway and perform your Magneto,Prop and Carb Heat checks then. This method is used at busy airports when there is no run up area available and a 747, who's already 1.5 hours late, is right behind you number two for takeoff. Of course you'll wear those brakes down even faster and then you'll be right back here at square one:-) John M

"Scoob, Thanks for the suggestion!"Oops, I meant Martin :oops: !PARADISE wrote;

"I believe anything over 1.00000 is overkill for that entry, meaning it will have no additional effect.You can always perform a rolling run-up. Ride the brakes while taxiing out to the active runway and perform your Magneto,Prop and Carb Heat checks then. This method is used at busy airports when there is no run up area available and a 747, who's already 1.5 hours late, is right behind you number two for takeoff. Of course you'll wear those brakes down even faster and then you'll be right back here at square one"
Ah, I wondered about that. Ok, I guess a rolling run-up it is then. Anybody know if this "issue" has been addressed in FSX?Cheers...........Smokin256