Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot533

What am I doing wrong?

Guest Pilot533

On my sig you can see my specs. I have a pretty decent system right? So why cant I get over a fluctuation of 25-35 fps with the pmdg/lds/pic 737 airplanes? Im running fs terrain, ge pro, asv6, ultimate terrain, and squawkbox 3. Today I was flying from gary widups slc which is good on frames to simflyers klas. The fps was 25-36 for the most part, when on final at las it dropped to 18-19 then returning to only 22-25 when I landed. This was done in the pmdg 737 which seems to be about the same on fps as the lds 767. I know intel makes a better chip right now but i have seen people with a 2.6 ghz fx cpu get fps in the 80's to even 100's using the addons above and at max settings. Why am I no place near that with my 2.81 ghz cpu? Is this a windows thing or do I just have really bad luck, in this point in time I start to consider the latter.

Guest Pilot533

I have also tried the basic problem solvers such as fs autostart and they dont make any difference.

Not sure what to say, but with my signature PC, I am locked at 30FPS with no problems at all. I did have an issue with FE Clouds causing me a performance hit of 10FPS (20FPS) in heavy cloud conditions, however switching to ASG cloud textures solved this for me.Do you have all the latest drivers installed?Do you have antivirus running?Is your HD properly defragged?CPU temp? I see you are running at a high Mhz for that A64 X2 even with the water cooling.We really need more info to be of any help.....GlennEDIT - Is your memory not stable at 1T? Why are you using 2T command rate?

Guest Pilot533

The mem is unstable at 1t, but 2t doesnt make any difference at all, i did run fs at 1t for a bit until it crashed. The drivers are the latest, antivirus is not running, the hdd is defragged. The cpu temp is 46-48 in fs at that speed.

Hi Mike,Sorry, I didn't think the 1T command rate would make a difference, I was just curious.Does the FPS drop occur in specific situations or just randomly?Is it always in overcast conditions or something like that?You should be seeing better performance for sure....Do you have the AMD dual core optimiser installed? That may help if not......Glenn

Guest Pilot533

I have the optimizer, I just did a test circuit with the new nvidia drivers and the fps were better, they were mostly 28-36 but they got into the 40's for maybe 3 seconds and even 50's and 60's at times for a second or two then returning to the 30's. In the 2d they were from 80-100. This wasn't with squawkbox however which usually drops my fps, even when run externally on a different core than fs9 is set to run on. What fps would you think is normal for my setup?

It's hard to say as with FS there are so many ways you can configure it.All I can tell you is that I am running UT, GE, AS6.5 etc with all sliders to the right in FS9 (except autogen which is on 'normal') with my FPS locked at 30FPS at 1600x1200 4xAA and 8xAF. 90% AI traffic from various sources, but mainly WofAI. My FPS sticks at 30 95% of the time. It drops to around 26-28 in VERY heavy weather conditions (max cloud density and 100% 3D clouds)I would expect you to be able to get similar performance (if not a little better) with your highly OC'd A64 and 7900 GPU.Glenn

Guest Pilot533

Hmm testing last night I did get similar performance with no ai tfc and very few clouds. (i dont usually use any because I fly online) Clouds dont seem to make much difference to me except when being drawn, then the fps drop low until they are done being drawn, I was told this is an issue with the core architecture of nvidia's gpu's. I'll try and do a flight today with the new drivers and report back. I also set windows to adjust performance to system cache instead of programs to see if that has any effect.

"I also set windows to adjust performance to system cache instead of programs to see if that has any effect."Do so at your own risk! This setting has been known to trash HD's if it goes wrong. I think you need a minimum of 3GB RAM to even be semi-safe at trying this setting.It's meant for servers not desktop PC'sAs for the FS performance, I would try setting up the most nasty multilayer cloud, thunderstorm, busiest airport you can imagine scenario and seeing how your FPS are. Even at EGLL with 90% AI in these conditions I can maintain ~28FPS.Obviously, if I removed the FPS lock I could get much higher FPS in non dense areas, but I like to keep the FPS locked at the lowest common denominator so to speak. 30FPS gives a very smooth ride and I can hardly notice the drops to ~28 unless I am staring at the FPS counter. Glenn