Sign in to follow this  
Guest alindsay66

Activate a runway and AI landing navigation

Guest alindsay66

Hi all,Can someone please tell me how to activate a runway? (I use AFCAD)And secondly for a novice is there a tutorial that explains how to set the navigation aids or whatever to get AI aircraft to fly a chosen route or landing approach.Thanks,Andrew

Hi Andrew,You "activate a runway" by creating parking spaces for the aircraft that will use it. That's it. The AFCAD has to have as many places as there will be planes. The AI planes go from point to point via a great circle route, it is not possible to get them to go a certain route by VOR's or NDB's. It's not in the program. Perhaps one of the commercial traffic programs allows for this, I'm not sure as I don't own one. I do my own traffic the painful slow manual way.TTools comes with a pretty good manual that explains all of this. There are also some websites that go into some more detail such as Project AI or World of AI. Google AI Traffic.Hope this helps. Dolph

Hi,You set the wind in the runway's direction for it to activate. This is in the World/Weather/User Created/Advanced menu. Then reset FS ATC:1. Choose World/Map2. Change your heading by one degree3. Click OK.Now ATC should use your runway. If it does not, there are two possibilities:1. A different runway has an ILS, and this one does not. You must set the wind to be higher than around 8 kts to overcome this (it sets the ILS runway to be the default in low winds).2. The runway is closed. Open the airport in AFCAD, double click on the runway in question (not the link line, but the wide runway), and uncheck the Closed for Takeoff and Closed for Landing boxes. Save the file.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Just to add, some scenery designers have not put start locations on a runway to restrict it. These can be checked and added by AFCAD. It is under view options.