Sign in to follow this  
Jetman67

Tried FSX again but going back to FS9

Guest magnum_force

FSX,...... Those commercials they made and aired on cable told the story, and a wild looking one at that. FS9 is still choice among 90% of FS users. That may be a low figure. I dont have a computer that will run it so I never bought it. It is the first FS operating system I have never purchased.I have supported M$ and FS 98, 2000, 02, 04. But FSX, nah, not for me. It looks to be an add on for FS9. It should have been sold as an upgrade. A crappy upgrade. And it should have been packaged truthfully, FSX, A new crappy upgrade to mess up your FS9 experience.Honestly, I have a few buds that pre-ordered and then got their money back. I have also read some other posts where people drove it back for refund. Although, if it is opened, I dont see how as no one will refund opened software to my knowledge. To the guys running FSX, I wish I had the money for the cool systems you run, but I dont. Maybe someday.....

Guest PARADISE

In a crude way FSX is to FS9 what Vista is to Windows XP, or HD TV is to standard TV, or I-Pods to CD's,etc. Almost all "cutting edge" technology comes with a myriad of problems when they are first introduced. A developer can only do so much testing in a laboratory. There comes a point when they can only find out what their creation can do by testing it in the market. Do we need this upgraded technology? Usually not.......yet. Eventually though, most of us will upgrade, lest we feel left behind in the modern world of technology.John M

Guest GrantM

Right there with you. The product is meant for more powerful computers that are affordable for the masses,... better in a couple of years. Features are nice, but it amounts to a lot of eye candy. I tend to be a hard core simmer, so sophisticated cockpit systems are what interest me. Besides, FS9 is well established, it works, and most of us have a sizeable investment in it with all the add-ons. I have a powerful computer, but still it will be about a year or two before I convert. Just not that impressed with the product at this time.GrantM

>To the guys running FSX, I wish I had the money for the cool>systems you run, but I dont. Maybe someday.....After five years of the old Athlon, I upgraded to the new Athlon, which is still only upper "mid range" at best. Now FS9 funs great, and FSX looks awesome! Runs X-Plane 8.50 with global scenery too!L.AdamsonAthlon 64 3800+/2GIG/Geforce 7600GS 256MB/1600*1200*32 res.

This holiday season, I got to visit with a lot of old friends. A few of the more tech savvy ones were asking me, "so, when are you getting Vista?" or "Do you have Vista yet?", etc. They were a bit puzzled when I said, "I don't know". They were shocked that I wasn't chomping at the bit to get my hands on the latest version of Windows. They replied, "So, you're not going to get Vista ever?" I responded, "I'm sure I'll have it eventually. It will be the future, I just see no reason to rush right out and do so now. WinXP is perfectly stable and does everything I need it to do."They just didn't get it. It is the upgrade mentality. That box sitting on the shelf in your local electronics store somehow "breaks" what you have right now. My point is, upgrade decisions are not simple yes/no questions, but rather "when". Will I have a PC with Vista? Sure, someday. Will I have FSX? Most likely eventually. Why am I sticking with FS9 for now? Lots of reasons:-Performance - on my PC, fs9 runs well. I am picky with my fps, so I don't want to jump on FSX until I have the hardware to use it well.-Features - to be brutally honest, little impresses me about FSX right now. Missions? Sounds like fun, but I have alternatives now in FS9. Multiplayer stuff? That has never been my thing. Better graphics? There is something, but until I have the hardware for it, it does nothing for me. I'm sure the day will come when FSX will amaze me. However, today is not that day.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

>>To the guys running FSX, I wish I had the money for the>cool>>systems you run, but I dont. Maybe someday.....>>After five years of the old Athlon, I upgraded to the new>Athlon, which is still only upper "mid range" at best. Now FS9>funs great, and FSX looks awesome! Runs X-Plane 8.50 with>global scenery too!>>L.Adamson>Athlon 64 3800+/2GIG/Geforce 7600GS 256MB/1600*1200*32 res.>I don't care about X-Plane, Flight Gear, FSX or even FS9 preferences. All I need is to run my Level-D B763 with AvSE + a few other less important (but not less beautiful) add-ons flying in VATSIM or in RC4 environment. FS9.1 on WinXPSP2 proves to be the best platform for it atm. Hence my choice. And my 10C. :)Cheers,Dirk.