Sign in to follow this  
kerosene31

AI Traffic Jam??

Last night I prepared to fly Paris-Tel Aviv using an A320... after pushback, I joined a line-up of AI traffic all taxiing out to the end of the active runway as per ATC instructions... However, the entire lineup simply stalled at one point after a few planes had been givem clearance to leave. I was about 6th back and sat there tuned to the tower waiting... and nothing happened except for a huge traffic jam of Ai planes building behind mehas anyone else had this happen?? Thanks!!John-PaulToronto

Yes I know exactly what causes this problem. It has to do with the AFD files for the airport. I don't know if you've used AFCAD before, but that program will let you look at and modify the AFD files. These AFD files determine where AI aircraft park and what paths they use to taxi around. The taxiway paths are designated by control points. There are two types, normal and hold-short. If there is enough AI traffic at an airport to cause them to have to line up for departure, and there is to much distance between the last 'normal' control point and the 'hold-short' control point then the plane that has stopped behind the last 'normal' control point will not move foward because it cannot 'see' another 'normal' control point before the 'hold-short' control point. Since the plane won't move foward it, it won't ever contact the tower for clearence to takeoff. The reason I make all of my own AFD files is because of this very problem. I only use default scenery (to keep FPS up) and I've created lot's of AFD files to increase gates and fix this very problem. If I get a chance I'll post some small pics to illustrate the problem.

If you want a quick fix to that problem, just stop your plane and accelerate time up to 8x and bring it back down to normal. It will remove all the AI planes from the ramp and restart the traffic and put you to #1 in the line. Not very realistic, but if you are impatient like me, it works great.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF