Sign in to follow this  
Calypso50

Aircraft Folders Organization

My girl friend went to China to visit her family for a week-- so.... I spent a rather enjoyable day yesterday organizing all my add-ons in the SELECT AIRCRAFT list so there was some logic to it--learning by trial and error how to edit the aircraft cfg files-- 'manufacturer, UI type: etc--Very happy with myself with my 14% editing understanding. :-) Now I'd like to 'organize' the "AIRCRAFT" folder as well. It seems that sometimes when adding paints to freeware aircraft- SGA, Dreamwings, for example, that the paints I add also include the complete aircraft. So when I add them there is yet another folder. Sometimes the painters have different ideas as to what to NAME the "Paint" --"SGA MD82" "McDonnell Douglas 82", "MD82".. When I add another SGA 737,for example, the paints are USUALLY "Boeing 727-200/300.." etc. So at least they are in the same order.. EXCEPT some that are totally different-- " FFXB_737....", "Thai 737.." etc.They are all over the place.I can't quite explain the questions I have. They overlap each other...Is there a way to get all the paints of a particular model in that model folder-- like-- "SGA80"? Or at least with similar folder names so they are in order in the AIRCRAFT folder? What is it in the cfg files that points to the correct folder?I KNOW how to add paints that are JUST PAINTS. edit the cfg, etc.. BUT--It's when the paint includes the entire aircraft--I've tried putting the TEXTURE folder from a new "paint/aircraft" download into a pre-existing aircraft model folder and editing the cfg file--no luck.If anyone actually has taken the time to read all this and, is finished chuckling, hasn't had too much eggnog and has a suggestion... GREEEEAAATT!Thanks---

Hi,This sounds awful familiar; like maybe I've done the same thing. Here's what I used to get me started. Written for 2002, but still mostly valid. Frank Bass's Unconventional Guide for Managing Aircraft Containers.http://library.avsim.net/download.php?DLID=15603I also add the textures and adjust the cfg, but sometimes those textures are for a different mdl. Check to see if the repaint actually uses the same mdl file by name and size. If it is the same, is should work.Here's a 'flip' side also: I don't typically want or need 20 repaints for the F4. Copy the whole thing off to a 'hangar' folder and reduce the in-sim copy to just the textures that I'm actually going to use (and edit the cfg to match). It makes for faster load times.Hope this helps.Loyd

Guest ThrottleUp

------------------------------------------------I KNOW how to add paints that are JUST PAINTS. edit the cfg, etc.. BUT--It's when the paint includes the entire aircraft--I've tried putting the TEXTURE folder from a new "paint/aircraft" download into a pre-existing aircraft model folder and editing the cfg file--no luck.------------------------------------------------You are doing the right thing and I dont understand why its not working for you. Just drop the texture folder into the folder of the plane concerned and add the relevant [fltsim.XX] entry into the aircraft.cfg The relevant text almost always comes with the repaint so its just a case of copy-paste :) As you said its a good idea to make sure the ui_manufacturer= & ui_type= pointers are standard. So the entries for your Posky 737-700 AND PMDG 737-700 should both read:ui_manufacturer=Boeingui_type=737-700If you want you can put some extra info in to help you choose which 3rd party companies plane you want to fly:ui_manufacturer=Boeingui_type=737-700 (POSKY)ui_manufacturer=Boeingui_type=737-700 (PMDG)Heres an example of an iFDG A320 repaint .cfg entry. I have pointed out what you need to check when pasting the entry into the .cfg If any of these are wrong/not present then the repaint will not show.[fltsim.0]title=A320-214 Air Chinasim=Airbus320-200CFM <-----sim folder must be presentmodel=cfm <---- model folder must be presentpanel=sound=texture=air_china <---check its pointing to correct texturechecklists=kb_checklists=kb_reference=atc_id=B-2376atc_airline=Air Chinaatc_flight_number=1123atc_heavy=0ui_manufacturer=Airbus <----checkui_type=A320 <----checkui_variation=Air Chinadescription= For example I have 43 A320s and in the simulator they ALL appear under "Airbus A320". I have put both engine-types in the same A320 folder for convinience (CFM & V2500). I have also put both model-types in the same folder.All you need to do is make sure the relevant models and sim folders are present and you can chuck any number of mdls into the same folder which really tidies it all up! So the A320 folder looks like this:Airbus A320--->model.cfm--->model.iae--->Airbus320-200CFM --->Airbus320-200IAESo using the above---------------------------------------------------------------This A320 uses V2500 engines & flight model:[fltsim.17]title=Adria A320sim=Airbus320-200IAEmodel=iaepanel=sound=texture=adriakb_checklists=A320_checkkb_reference=A320_refatc_id=D-ARFCatc_airline=AEROFLIGHTatc_flight_number=5256atc_heavy=0ui_manufacturer=Airbusui_type=A320ui_variation=Adriadescription= ----------------------------------------------------------------And this uses the CFM engine & flight model:[fltsim.0]title=A320-214 Air Chinasim=Airbus320-200CFMmodel=cfmpanel=sound=texture=air_chinachecklists=kb_checklists=kb_reference=atc_id=B-2376atc_airline=Air Chinaatc_flight_number=1123atc_heavy=0ui_manufacturer=Airbusui_type=A320ui_variation=Air Chinadescription= -----------------------------------------------------------------If you follow this practice then your sim will be very tidy. Most of the time its the ui_manufacturer= & ui_type= entries that cause planes to appear all over the place in the sim.Use the find-replace fucntion in your word processor to standardise them.You can also rename the model folders to anything you want, for example:model.A320_with_cfm_enginesYou can do the same with the sim folders. Just make sure the .cfg points to it :)You can rename things endlessly to whatever you want. Just make sure its reflected in the .cfg entry. If you miss out even one TINY detail you wont see the repaint in the sim. So if its meant to be model=cfmbut you do this by mistake:model=...well you get my drift :)

You have three lines in the separate aircraft configs that effect this:{fltsim.X}ui_manufacturer=AAAAui_type=BBBBui_variation=CCCC........'ui_manufacturer='First off, I always organize my aircraft by actual aircraft manufacturer, not by a designers name. So, 'ui_manufacturer=AAAA' would be 'ui_manufacturer=Boeing' instead of 'ui_manufacturer=Dreamfleet' (as example). The first thing I do after installing an aircraft is make sure it is ordered by manufacturer as the first selection.'ui_type='If you have a variety of variations of 737's (as example), you could group them as 737-200, or 737-800 by using 'ui_type=737-200', or 'ui_type=737-800'. In that way after you select Boeing, you can now select the Boeing model next.'ui_variation='This is where you can specify airline model differences, airline re-paints, different designer info, etc. (if you have two designers of the same model). Such as: 'ui_manufacturer=Dreamfleet United', or 'ui_manufacturer=PMDG United'I'm not an airline flyer, but I do this if I have different panel set-ups for the same aircraft and model, such as: 'ui_manufacturer=Green and Brown' (paint scheme) and 'ui_manufacturer=Green and Brown RXP' (paint scheme and panel variation)if I have the same aircraft (and re-paint) with both stock and RXP equipped gauges.Not sure if that helps, but there ya go ;)There are programs out there that can probably do the same, I just tend to to this 'by hand', as well as other things like panel mods.

Well, I haven't hit the eggnog yet (it won't be long though) so here's my contribution. Kinda tough following Nevin though, this is really just more of "what he said".Here's one I was particularly proud of, it's a the Aardvark 747 that I put on some AI flights a while back. Four different .air files, eight different .mdl files, and six texture folders. It all resides in a single folder under "Aircraft". Obviously I'm not using every .mdl, but I allowed for expansion :) .Here's the [fltsim.X] sections from the .cfg:[fltsim.0]title=AIA B744D_All-Nippon Airwayssim=aia_747_400d_gemodel=dge_no_reflpanel=sound=texture=All-Nippon Airwayskb_checklists=kb_reference=atc_id=N747atc_airline=All Nippon atc_flight_number=1123atc_heavy=1ui_manufacturer=Aardvarkui_type=Boeing 747-400Dui_variation=All-Nippon Airwaysdescription=A Boeing 747-400D by AI Aardvark designed especially for AI traffic.atc_id_color=0000000000visual_damage=0atc_parking_types=GATEatc_parking_codes=ANA[fltsim.1]title=AIA B744_Northwest Airlinessim=aia_747_400_pwmodel=PWpanel=sound=texture=Northwest Airlineskb_checklists=kb_reference=atc_id=N747atc_airline=Northwestatc_flight_number=1123atc_heavy=1ui_manufacturer=Aardvarkui_type=Boeing 747-400ui_variation=Northwest Airlinesdescription=A Boeing 747-400 by AI Aardvark designed especially for AI traffic. atc_id_color=0000000000visual_damage=0atc_parking_types=GATEatc_parking_codes=NWA[fltsim.2]title=AIA Boeing 747-400 United Airlines (NC)sim=aia_747_400_pwmodel=PWpanel=sound=texture=united_nckb_checklists=kb_reference=atc_id=N196UAatc_airline=UNITEDatc_parking_types=GATEatc_parking_codes=UALatc_flight_number=atc_heavy=1ui_manufacturer=Aardvarkui_type=Boeing 747-400ui_variation=United Airlines (NC)description=A Boeing 747-400 by AI Aardvark designed especially for AI traffic.atc_id_color=0000000000visual_damage=0[fltsim.3]title=AIA B744 Japan Airlines 50th Anniversary sim=aia_747_400_gemodel=ge_no_reflpanel=sound=texture=Japan Airlines 50thatc_id=JA8907atc_airline=Japan Airatc_flight_number=1123atc_heavy=1ui_manufacturer=Aardvarkui_type=Boeing 747-400ui_variation=Japan Airlines 50thdescription=A Boeing 747-400 by AI Aardvark designed especially for AI traffic.atc_parking_types=GATEatc_parking_codes=JAL[fltsim.4]title=AIA B744D Japan Airlines 50th Anniversary Domesticsim=aia_747_400d_gemodel=dge_no_reflpanel=sound=texture=Japan Airlines 50th Domesticatc_id=JA8906atc_airline=Japan Airatc_flight_number=1123atc_heavy=1ui_manufacturer=Aardvarkui_type=Boeing 747-400Dui_variation=Japan Airlines 50th Domesticdescription=A Boeing 747-400D by AI Aardvark designed especially for AI traffic.atc_parking_types=GATEatc_parking_codes=JAL[fltsim.5]title=AIA B744_Cathay Pacificsim=aia_747_400_rrmodel=rr_no_reflpanel=sound=texture=Cathay Pacifickb_checklists=kb_reference=atc_id=N747atc_airline=Cathayatc_flight_number=1123atc_heavy=1ui_manufacturer=Aardvarkui_type=Boeing 747-400ui_variation=Cathay Pacificdescription=A Boeing 747-400 by AI Aardvark designed especially for AI traffic. atc_id_color=0000000000visual_damage=0atc_parking_types=GATEatc_parking_codes=CPAHere's a screenie of the folder structure:http://www.cat-tamer.com/attach/aiab747dir.jpg"I spent a rather enjoyable day yesterday organizing all my add-ons in the SELECT AIRCRAFT list..."That would have also been my idea of an enjoyable day, Bill. Sometimes I think I enjoy messing around with files and folders more than actually flying the sim. :)Have a Merry Christmas everybody!Jim

One last item that has'nt been covered. Every paint in the aircraft.cfg file must have a different Title=xxxxxxxxx line.Happy Holidays,JerryH

Holy cow !!:-) You guys are fantastic to take such time..I've got to study this a bit.. a lot.I just tried this .. I have the David Maltby Bac 1-11s for example.About 11 seperate folders for each of the different mdoels. I tried putting them all in a new folder-- "BAC 1-11" also within the AIRCRAFT folder. -- Then the planes did not show up in the 'Select Aircraft" list.So , what is it in the .cfg that points to the folders in the AIRCRAFT folder?

To answer your question, the aircraft folder first uses the 'manufacturer line'.....typically.But, as you have seen, some designers make things more difficult because of how they have structured their aircraft configs. In those cases, you really have to study how David's (as example) configs are set-up in order to rearrange. Sometimes this can be quite frustrating. One thing you should always do is back up your configs before making changes.For the most part, folks have given you the basics, but there are always exceptions to the basics ;)

>Thanks again to all.>I'll study and play with things.>Have a joyful,peaceful 'forever'! You too Bill.Hey, I just saw your collections of bikes, and that Sunbeam! Wow.I used to have a BMW 1970 R-75/5. I loved that bike. And a CZ? For goodness sakes, I haven't seen one of those in a very very long time.Long live (opposing twin) Beemers!