Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shalomar

Thank you for the Falcon 50

Guest Shalomar

I was headed for MYNN from KABE via KATL. I actually wound up hopping in the Freeware Falcon 50 rather than the Eaglesoft Citation X I just got a few days ago. What can I say, I love the Falcon- a much prettier bird IMO to start with (meaning the looks of the real world planes).A few more hours of flying when I get a chance and I can check out Freeflow's Bahamas scenery- another very merry Christmas gift.Rob Young did a good job IMO on the flight dynamics of the Falcon; a plane built in response to the oil shortages of the 70's. Why did they put a third engine on it when fuel was tight- why, so it could be shut down during cruise! The idea did not catch on with flight crews, however. The Falcon 50 was poised to be the new "big iron", replacing the Gulfstream- or so the manufacturer thought. But the plane gathered a following anyway, and since corporations were sticking to big iron Falcon rolled out the 900.Having three engines means a lower climb rate- since you only lose 33 percent of your power instead of fifty in a twin you don't need the huge reserve. So the plane can be optimised for cruise, and shorter runways. Not a very fast cruise- saving gas remember?It is the sterling qualities of the real world aircraft that apeal to me in my selection of the 50 over the X, Eaglesoft did a good job (and Rob young did the FDE for the X). I much prefer how the Falcon handflies.The Falcon 50 is a 2002 aircraft that has been updated for 2004, but what the VC lacks in functionality it makes up for in looks. I just wish the yoke would disapear- the simicons don't seem to function. The yoke blocks the heading knob and the VSI, but SHIFT-7 brings up the autopilot panel to set it and the devs thoughtfully replaced the standby gyro in the VC with a second VSI. I'm getting used to it.Ah well, between my Citation, Marchetti and Schweiser I am helping Rob's work to pay off- so what if I'd rather fly the 50 than the X!!! Merry Christmas to all!Best Regards, Donald Traill :-walksmileFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Hi Donald,Absolutely, there is something about the Falcon 50 that makes it a pleasure to fly. I've never flown a real one, but it feels the way I imagine a heavy business jet of that period would fly. It has speed, range and very good frame rates. Not so sure about the shorter runways, I usually make sure I have 7,000 ft for takeoff.I wish someone would make a similar model of the two engine falcons.Dale

Dale

Guys,Don't forget to make the inlet area parameter change in the aircraft.cfg. This was a published change when the FS9 update arrived that brings the thrust back to normal.[TurbineEngineData]fuel_flow_gain =0.0025inlet_area =1.4000 <=========rated_N2_rpm =29920static_thrust =3500afterburner_available =0reverser_available =1Regards,Leon

Guest blaster331

Greetings all & a very Merry Christmasthanks for sharing the Falcon 50, but I can't find the fs9 update for it. Any help?Best regardsAndrew

Hi Andrew,I got it from a French site, think it was:http://caea.free.fr/There was an error on the engine inlet area, it should read:inlet_area =1.4000This is in the aircraft.cfg file under turbine engineDale

Dale

Guest blaster331

Thanks Tanker but it doesn't appear to be an upgrade to fs9Andrew

Guest blaster331

Tanker is this update just an editing of the aircraft cfg. file.I have googled and searched for everything i can think of and can't find it.Any help will be great. ThanksAndrew:-zhelp

Guest blaster331

Thank you Leon really appreciate your helpBest RegardsAndrew

I wish they added gauge backlighting, its a pain on my eyes to fly her at night, but she looks great!

The Falcon 50 IMO is one of the most "handsome" Bjets ever built. I just wish that the overhead panel was clickable in VC...and yes backlighting would be nice.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Leon, et al,Glad I found this thread. WHAT A COOL PLANE--And (IMHO) I like it better than the 'payware' version.I'm unsure of something AND have a few questions.I downloaded/installed it..I think from a link in the README in the Zip Dive of a repaint here at AVSIM..But NOT the "update package" you mentioned, Leon.. It was an easy install-- "extract to FS".There are now 2 new aircraft folders- 1#- Fal50caea2 and #2 Fal50.. Each has 2 model folders. Each has an airfcraft cfg file, etc. In the SELECT AIRCRAFT page in FS there are 2- FULL and LITE.I just downloaded the installer from your link, leon, but have NOT installed it yet.So--- 1-- Are these the same? Or is your link Leon, updated from what I have?2- Info and questions about what I DO have. A- When I go to load the plane( Full OR Lite) MSFS says something like -"Some components of the aircraft you are about to load are not compatible with MSFS and your computer may become unstable or explode. Do you want to disable the dangerous components?" I click YES(who wouldn't:>) and load the plane. B- In the FULL version-- NO GEAR! Thats really weird. :>)-- no landing lites,,flaps don't move, Main door is open and shift-E" will not close it. It does close after take off. (good thing) C-In the LITE version--all the same except door is closed-can't open it.. no problem there. D- When switching to SPOT VIEW, the plane takes a good while for textures to load. E-- The cfg file is as mentioned above EXCEPT the STATIC THRUST is 3300.So--- What do I have, what do you suggest-- uninstall and install the none in Leon's post?This plane IS VERY NICE, flies great; looks great, great 2d cockpit. etc.. Gotta keep it.....

Guest Shalomar

I notice that if I press the "L" key on a cold dark cockpit there is backlighting on the guages. However, with the aircraft powered the overhead lights come on with the panel lights and drown out the baclighting. I wish there was a way to deactivate the overhead lights but I haven't found it yet.Best Regards, Donny:-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Installed the updated Falcon and here are a few observations.Overhead panel is indeed clickable in VC but it's in the wrong location. All overhead switches are under the co-pilot main panel. Please see the image.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/164057.jpgDoes anyone know how to "put it back up"?Also, I believe the vc section 3 and 4 is redundant in the panel.cfg. I deleted them with no problem.I want to change and add a lot of gauges in the VC. Can someone with more experience share some information? How can I add gauges to the pedestal?Thanks!!!Jason

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest kilotango

Hi again Calypso. You are right. This plane is worth keeping.