Sign in to follow this  
jfri

The horizon from high above really bad in FS9

One thing in FS9 that irritates me much is how the world and especially the horizon is displayed from a high altitude. The screenshot below shows an example of what I mean. It's in the PNW looking out the ocean. The white areas is Megascenery PNW that don't blend well with thesurrounding.By chance is there no fix for this flaw in FS9? (BTW in FSX this is fixed but I don't have my LDS767 there andalso thereare other problems here)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/163954.jpg

I don't have this issue in FS9... But I somewhat recall the visibility layer upper limit can have an odd effect on the horizon under certain circumstances. Try to take the above scenario, go to weather settings, and edit the upper vis limit and set it to 99999 just to see if the issue goes away. With the exception of some landclass add-ons I built and "Soft Horizons", another add-on I made about a year ago, my MSFS scenery is pretty much the default. I fly in the flight levels fairly often and everything looks pretty decent.-John

My FS9 looks nothing like that...that is most certainly a graphics configuration issue on your system.

Mine also looks like this when I fly my C-21 at FL350. See attachment. It is way off in the horizon so I don't worry about it much. Until now. I will seek an answer and post it here if/when I find one.

>I don't have this issue in FS9... But I somewhat recall the>visibility layer upper limit can have an odd effect on the>horizon under certain circumstances. Try to take the above>scenario, go to weather settings, and edit the upper vis limit>and set it to 99999 just to see if the issue goes away. WithDid you mean the menu in custom weather, Advanced weather - Visibility - Tops (MSL)? Will that setting be in (global) effect even if I chose a predefined weather theme or use AS6 for weather? Or will I have to manually edit this number for every individual flight?

"Mine also looks like this when I fly my C-21 at FL350. See attachment. It is way off in the horizon so I don't worry about it much. Until now. I will seek an answer and post it here if/when I find one."In your case, I wonder if you use add-on textures or landclass for this area. FS9 has a core set of scenery which is displayed beyond the border of detailed terrain textures, and which isn't modified by texture add-ons or landclass add-ons. So if for example you replace desert landclass with forest landclass, or yellowish textures with greenish textures, you can end up with a mismatch between the core or "generic" distant scenery and your local add-on scenery or landclass. And I imagine there could even be a few places where the default scenery textures or landclass doesn't mesh well with the distant display.-John

Your case is different. Your ground textures are not blending well between the extended and the normal texture radii. This is a known FS9 problem, but it seems much worse in your case an indication of whatever textures you are using.

"Your case is different. Your ground textures are not blending well between the extended and the normal texture radii. This is a known FS9 problem, but it seems much worse in your case an indication of whatever textures you are using."Hmm, what I said, but said more efficiently :)

>I don't have this issue in FS9... But I somewhat recall the>visibility layer upper limit can have an odd effect on the>horizon under certain circumstances. Try to take the above>scenario, go to weather settings, and edit the upper vis limit>and set it to 99999 just to see if the issue goes away. WithI tried this but it didn't help.

Mike and John,Thanks, you were right. I had d/l'd some textures here to make things look nicer but when I installed GE2006 that ugly started happening. So I uninstalled GE, reverted to completely default textures from a backup FS9 DVD I burned at last install, reinstalled GE2006 and it worked great. I can fly at FL400 now with no ugly. Thanks again,Dolph