Sign in to follow this  
el_kab0ng

Plane Bounce - Who's to Blame?

Just wrapped up a KLAX to KDFW flight (approximately 2.5 hours) using the POSKY repaint of the 747SP.After taxi and at the gate, I switched views to external and the plane bounced to the point of a crash...resetting the flight. Fortunately I had saved on the inbound leg to replay, but this "plane bounce" is highly annoying.So my question is, who is to blame? Is POSKY for improper aircraft placement? Maybe a bad AFCAD? I'd hint at the latter if it weren't for the fact that the plane bounces on stock airports as well as AFCAD modified ones.

It's an easter egg.When the aircraft is aggressively handled during flight, and you actually get it on the ground in one piece, the plane does a 'jump for joy' when parked at the gate. It's called a 'binky'.Normally set off, there have been some reports of it getting set on for some reason, probably because of some low-level logic coded into the aircraft model. In the aircraft.cfg, scroll and look for the entry 'binky_enable=1' and set the value to zero. That will keep the aircraft behaving normally.This setting was included in later releases, but because it was an easter egg it was not documented. Early releases didn't have this option in the aircraft.cfg and was actually hard-coded at a very very low level tie-in with the operating system and graphics driver. Consequently, if you look at the aircraft.cfg and fail to see the 'binky_enable' entry, unfortunately you have the earlier version of the aircraft. Your only option at this point is to re-download the newer version of the model, completely reformat your primary operating system drive to remove the tie-ins with the graphics and operating system, and reinstall the operating system and FS.Have a good day.

"Consequently, if you look at the aircraft.cfg and fail to see the 'binky_enable' entry, unfortunately you have the earlier version of the aircraft. Your only option at this point is to re-download the newer version of the model, completely reformat your primary operating system drive to remove the tie-ins with the graphics and operating system, and reinstall the operating system and FS."Since Sarcasm is sometimes missed in transition from brain to print, let me suggest before someone goes out and reformats that this message falls into the "Sarcasm_enabled" flag.-John

I checked all my aircraft, and I can't find "binky_enable=1". I tried re-downloading, but the version I have is the latest one. I think I'll have to reformat my entire computer and reinstall everything:(. Worst of all, what am I going to do with my add-ons? There must be another way of solving it!:(LOL, just kidding. Coincidentially, today is the "D

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Has nothing to do with the airport when it happens while stationary...it's probably due to an erroneously placed static CG height possibly complicated by unfavorable gear damping parameters.You'll need to read up on static CG height and the contact points in the aircraft container SDK and do some tweaking to fix this.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest neslesman

My Real Air Scout does that. It looks like it's passing a little gas at the same time as there are a few sparks and a small smoke cloud. Then all is well.

Despite the jokes above, This is a serious issue. I know that when I slewed the Posky 747SP, then turned slew off...the airplane would instantly accelerate and crash into the nearest object. Something I hadnt seen in a addon airplane in quite awhile. Having said that, maybe its something else. In any case, I found it to be unstable on my PC and a bit heavy on the FPS as well.I dont fly heavy commercial airliners a lot, so I deleted this posky airplane from my PC. No time to deal with these problems, regardless of cause.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

"I dont fly heavy commercial airliners a lot, so I deleted this posky airplane from my PC. No time to deal with these problems, regardless of cause."I haven't downloaded the SP--but I know the '400 and '200 are very resource friendly on the Ol' P3/800. Was the SP done by a different modeler? That said, having messed up a fde on another freeware release myself (the Dreamwings Q400) whilst in the middle of a health crisis, I think things should be more respectfully said. In spite of my problems, I tried to aid a freeware project. I blew it by making a dumb error with a comma, but I tried. Maybe the POSky FDE designer was under similar circumstances, maybe not, but these designers in spite of their personal lives try the best they can. Nobody's perfect. Instead of posting a mini-rant about how your time is oppressed, doesn't it show more class to just let it go? I think it does.-John

Eric, your issue is very different from the one initially posted, but it happens to me with almost all freeware and default aircraft. Anyway, I developed an habit of hitting F1 just before turning slew off, and so I avoid the problem.It looks like, when slewing, the aircraft raises a bit, enough to make FS9 believe that the plane is flying. It's annoying, but with the F1 "trick" you'll get used to it (yes, I hope it can get solved, but in the meantime, I can only avoid it). Now, why doesn't that happen with payware aircraft (and ultra-high quality freeware that should be payware;) as the iFly 744)? That's something I'd like to know.And for the original problem (aircraft bouncing around),as I said before, I used to get it on my 767-200 ER. I followed JohnCi's advice (just let it go) and did a world tour in that plane...without having that problem solved ;). Annoying? Yes. Can I live with it? Well, yes.Best regardsLuis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

static_cg_height definition from the MS aircraft container SDK:The static height of the aircraft when at rest on the ground (feet). The program uses this value to position the aircraft at startup, in slew, and at any other time when the simulation is not actively running.If this value is improperly set, when in slew (and possibly in spot view when stationary) the aircraft is positioned based on this parameter...IOW, the aircraft is positioned vertically so that the reference zero is at the defined static cg height. If this height is high enough, at the instant the acft is taken out of slew/spot view, the aircraft detects that it is not on the ground and goes into air mode, probably resulting in a runaway at high speed. Or, possibly it will remain in "ground" mode, but it will drop suddenly to the bottom limit of the allowed strut compression and bounce back up, and continuing to bounce as a function of the damping defined in the contact points section.You can use the F1 or "A" keys do manually drop the acft back to the lower limit of the gear compression prior to exiting slew...or you can lower the static cg height in the aircraft.cfg to stop this effect and no longer need to nervously flinch every time you take the sim out of slew...RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I remember the bouncing betty problems and it was thought to be with the contact points and how they compared to the surface of the taxi/runway.What sticks in my mind and what I thought was very clever was the technic of assigning the nav lights to the contact point data. The result was to see if the contact point were too high off the ground by visually seeing where the nav lights were.Daryll

Guest eddievhfan1984

I know the problem. When you have an airport that is not precisely flat, the aircraft will occasionally end up a few feet higher at the desired location when slewing. When an aircraft is "unslewed" without being on the ground, it will automatically accelerate to max thrust, probably to low-level logic (if aircraft above ground when leaving slew, raise gear, accelerate to max thrust, etc.). My advice: when at the desired location, hit slew down key, "A", to reaffix the craft on the ground before returning to normal flight mode.Have a good flight.Kyle TekaucicP.S. please respond at my e-mail to see if the fix worked (I need to build confidence if I want to answer questions on the forum.)

Guest wwayneross60

I have a few 3rd Party AC that bounce either stationary or while taxiing down the runway. One that comes to mind is an Eclipse commuter jet where the weight parameters were all screwed up. There was no margin between the empty weight and the max weight so any fuel or payload would exceed the max weight. I went into the aircraft.cfg file and set all the weight parameters to the published numbers, although I didn't know what the effect it would have on the compiled mdl and air files. Anyway, before it would bounce and ultimately crash on the taxiway, now it still is a little rough and bounces a bit but it's much better. The brakes are crazy now, they really bite hard and can collapse the nose gear, so I have to really use the reverse thrusters instead of the brakes. It appears there are a few other parameters I need to change since I lightened up the plane and created the correct margins. Before, I had to fly this bird with crash detect off and it was totally underpowered, now I can turn on CD and it's able to reach the proper speeds and altitudes because the weights are correct. I've noticed some discrepancies on other 3rd party aircraft regarding maximum fuel / payload weights. In some cases, 100% fuel will always put me over the max and cause the bouncing. So I always check and adjust those weights before flying. Not saying this is the cause in all cases, like scenery holes, etc., but definitely something to look at and adjust if needed.