Sign in to follow this  
scootersm

Looking to spruce up FS9

Terrain mesh makes the mountains look 'real'Unless you mean the textures on them in which case it would be GE.UT only changes coastline, water, urban landclass, road and rail features. It does NOT alter any textures or topography.Glenn

Glenn, Thanks for your help. Do you have FSX? Dose the terrain look better in FSX or FS9 with these addons. I live near a large lake and take off in FSX and like the way the hills roll, more like real, I was hoping these addons would be about the same.Scot

Well, thats a tough call.It all depends. I do like the FSX 1m photo textures. They look a lot better than FS9, but with FS Genesis mesh, GE and UT, FS9 is pretty close AND you get great performance. I was very critical of FSX portrayal of landclass. However, the FSG landclass has transformed the sim for me. No more 'desert' textures. It makes a huge difference.If eyecandy is all you are really interested in, then I would say FSX (especially when UT and GE etc appear for it) has the edge, but you will need a good landclass product from FSGenesis or Cloud 9 Xclass. I think the FSG USA landclass product is very good. Cloud 9 also has landclass for Canada and Europe.For 'geographical correctness', FS9 with UT is tough to beat. However, you can use an import tool to transfer the UT files over to FSX. It's not perfect, but it is an improvement over FSX default. Scenery Solutions are working on an FSX only version of UT which should be out around spring time I would think. The FS9 to FSX port is a temporary solution that has been released in a beta state.Personally, I still spend far more time in FS9 than I do FSX. I use FSX mainly as an 'experimental' platform. Hopefully that will change with FSX SP1. If I really want to fly I load up FS9 with all the addons, Dreamfleet A36 and Jon Patch's Victoria+ scenery, all humming along at 30FPS. Fantastic..........

Scooter,Are you 'new' to Flight Sim?If so, despite my current preference for FS9, I would stick with FSX. It's the only way forward I'm afraid. Like I said, hopefully SP1 will fix some of the major issues and then we can all move forward together again.Glenn

Not really new, just maybe on upgrade, I have had everyone of them FS 98, 2K, 2K2, FS9 and now FSX. I have over 1110.3 hours. I use the EagleSoft Citation X, I'm on my way around the world. I was just unhappy with my FSX perfromance, I guess looking for a band aid until I can get a new system. I do thank for your help.