Sign in to follow this  
strider

Float planes leaping up in the air.

I've read some posts regarding aircraft "hopping" up and down on dry land but my issue is a bit more severe. Several of my float/amphibious aircraft will literally leap many hundreds of feet into the air if they are on water and I go to Spot View. Of course, now the aircraft has no forward speed and it tumbles back down only to repeat the whole thing when it hits the water again. Once this starts the only option is to end the flight. I've seen some mention of "Contact Points" being a possible culprit? I have had the problem in the Aerosoft Beaver and the MAAM XC-47...I don't recall having it in the Carenado U206 or the FSD Porter? Anyone seen what I'm talking about or have an idea what might cause this? Vic

Make sure the crash detection feature is on, that will solve the problem.Dave

Guest bobsk8

>Make sure the crash detection feature is on, that will solve>the problem.>>DaveYou mean "off" , don't you?

I have the Realism setting "Ignore crashes and damage" checked (crashes OFF, in other words). Are you suggesting I change that to have "Detect crashes and damage" checked (crashes and damage ON)? Thanks for taking a look. Vic

OK, I set realism to "Detect crashes and damage" and the leaping did stop. Apparently the problem is that, in many cases, FS9 detects a float plane as having "crashed" if your trying to taxi on the water (I'm guessing this is more apparent when the surface is rough?). It also detects a "crash" when starting a flight on the water (at least in my Beaver) because the Beaver starts about a foot above the water surface and then drops. FS9's handling of crashes with the "Ignore crashes..." setting checked is to loft the airplane back into the air. When your flying and skim a mountaintop it's a much more subtle "raising" of the aircraft...but when you are stopped or taxiing, on water, and FS9 detects a "crash" (because of a vertical drop to the water surface??) it really launches the aircraft skyward. Now, with the "Detect crashes..." setting on I have no issues when taxiing on water. Starting a flight on water (at least in the Beaver) still results in a short drop to the surface...but instead of throwing the aircraft into the air, I get this spectacular crash "effect"...and then everything is fine...the aircraft is happily floating, with no apparent damage and ready to fly. I'm still thinking that the Aerosoft Beaver suffers this short drop to the surface because of some issue with the Contact Points...perhaps it's only the Amphib model which, by nature, has (or should have) 2 different sets of points (gear down on land and gear up or down on water?). I'm going to try the Beaver Float model (as opposed to the Amphib) and see what happens. Anywho...the main point is the aircraft no longer gets lofted into the air, which is great. I'll let you know how the experiment with the float model goes. Thanks for taking a look. Vic