Sign in to follow this  
ctiger

Install FSG - Harddrive Space

Hi All..need your help. I thought I would have enought HD space (18Gig) on my exsiting hardrvie but after installing FSG North America 1 and 2 and Europe/Africa FSG on my HD, I have less than 700MB remaining on my internal HD. Can I copy just my scenery folder or specifically my FS9/Scenery/world/scenery folder to my external drive where I have plenty of disk space? I guess I would need to then edit my sceenery.cfg file to point to the new location. Will that work?? or is there an easier way.Thanks for any help.Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Carl,Move the files and then use the scenery library to point to the new location. I would not mess with the .cfg file.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

Jim,What I did was moved the world/Scenery folder over to my external drive (G drive)in order to copy all my FSG files. Then modified my scenery.cfg file located on my internal drive by changing Area.001. Is this what you are calling the scenery library?[Area.001]Title=Default TerrainTexture_ID=1Layer=1Active=TRUERequired=TRUELocal=SceneryWorldRemote=to this:[Area.001]Title=Default TerrainTexture_ID=1Layer=1Active=TRUERequired=TRUELocal=G:program filesmicrosoft gamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryWorldRemote=This appears to be working unless I may be missing something else to be done.(??)thanks for any clarification on what I may have done wrong.Carl

Carl

PC AMD Ryzen R7-5700G (8-Core) processor), AMD Radeon RX 6600 Graphics 8GB/ 2TB HD + 500GB SSD,  16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Win11

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi,If this is your new path then you are OK:G:program filesmicrosoft gamesFlight Simulator 9SceneryWorldNo, by scenery library I mean the Library screen in FS04 that you get to from the General Settings screen. I still don't think users should be manually modifying the .cfg file for every Area.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

>Hi All..need your help. I thought I would have enought HD>space (18Gig) on my exsiting hardrvie but after installing>FSG North America 1 and 2 and Europe/Africa FSG on my HD, I>have less than 700MB remaining on my internal HD. Can I copy>just my scenery folder or specifically my>FS9/Scenery/world/scenery folder to my external drive where I>have plenty of disk space? I guess I would need to then edit>my sceenery.cfg file to point to the new location. Will that>work?? or is there an easier way.>>Thanks for any help.>>Carl> Hello Carl, I have my Addon Scenery (4.3GB), my fsfsconv (2GB) and my Scenery folders (1.1GB) on a seperate drive and/or partition from the 4 instances of FS9 that I have on my system. thus forming a "common" repository for those 4 "fs9's" which reside on E:, G:, I: and J: drives. The only caveat, as far as the main Scenery folder is that I found that FS9 expects, and needs, two folders to be in the main FS9 directory under "Scenery. They are SceneryWorld and SceneryBASE. All the other scenery folders can "live" elsewhere. As the other poster pointed out, you should use the regular facilities of the GUI scenery add feature to point FS9 to the new location. I, OTOH, edited the scenery.cfg file lines that define the path to a scenery folder: (examples)Local=F:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesSceneryAfriLocal=F:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesSceneryCitiesAmsterdLocal=F:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesAddon SceneryNaval Base San DiegoA simple "search & replace" on the default scenery.cfg file wherethe line "Local=" is blank will do the trick. The actual placethat you put your folders can pretty much be anywhere as long as you define the path correctly.And even though when I first did this "move", I had defined:Local=F:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesSceneryWorldLocal=F:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesSceneryBASEFS9 gave me an error on loading, saying it couldn't find a scenery element. I then put those two folders back inthe main directory and all was well. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Guest neslesman

Too keep it nice and easy I put all my add on mesh on the "other" drive and it only takes a small number of loads (or moves) and entries to do it. No worries about conflicts or anything and with the huge size of the mesh files I think it's a quick and easy solution for distributing a good chunk of the load over to a seperate drive.

All,Thanks for your input. Paul I got the same message you did, when I tried just moving the world folder over. This is were my 17gigs of FSG is installed. Once I modified the scenery cfg in the main FS9 as shown in previous post everything appears to be working ok and freeing up 17gigs of HD space on the internal drive. However I am a little concerned since you mentioned the SceneryWorld and scenerybase folders need to stay in the main FS9. I moved the entire world folder to the external HD. Am I getting myself in trouble by doing this??Hi Nes, would appreciate knowing if you used similar process to what I did on moving mesh to the "other dirve". As I mentioned FSG was automitically installed into my scenery/world folder.thanks all and Happy New Year.http://www.icq.com/img/friendship/static/card_16961_rs.swfCarl

Carl

Guest neslesman

Carl I got my mesh from FSGlobal and it doesn't/didn't load to the world folder. I've nothing against FSG, I think they are a great company and product, but FSGlobal kind of broke the "whole world" price deadlock at the time and the world in 76M was a very good price for that time (about 5 mos ago) and it's also a good product.So I didn't have to move anything. I had a new computer with two drives and I just loaded the mesh (12 Gb as I recall) for the very first time on the system drive versus FS9 drive and made the 5 entries (for 5 regions on 3 Disks) in the Scenery Library right from the get go. I also loaded GEPro and Ultimate Terrain Europe and NA the first day so I had a really presentable world sim base right off the bat that was ready for all the free add on scenery I can find the time to load.

>All,>Thanks for your input. >Paul I got the same message you did, when I tried just moving>the world folder over. This is were my 17gigs of FSG is>installed. Once I modified the scenery cfg in the main FS9 as>shown in previous post everything appears to be working ok and>freeing up 17gigs of HD space on the internal drive. However I>am a little concerned since you mentioned the SceneryWorld>and scenerybase folders need to stay in the main FS9. I moved>the entire world folder to the external HD. Am I getting>myself in trouble by doing this??-SNIP->Carl> If it works, then there shoudl be no problem. I don't recall what the error message was that I got when I removed the World and Base folders from the main scenery folder but by just putting them back, all was well again. It may have been only the BASE folder that needed to remain. It's been awhile since I did all my re-configuring and I just don't recall the] details. If your setup is working with your current configuration then I wouldn't worry. Paul

Wide-5.jpg