Sign in to follow this  
Arklight1

Intel vs AMD for games (has it changed now)??????

Serious. Why? Because at more than half a gig slower than its P4 counterpart it can deliver similar performance.My XP 2100+ T'Bred 'B' running @ 2.17Ghz matches my previous overclocked P4 in terms of MSFS performance.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers

>>So I'd say they still have the upper hand. >>:-lol >:-eek >>Kidding or Serious ? What does Mhz have to do with it, or >even what the label says for that matter ???. What good is >AMD's **low** Mhz if this is max they can deliver today ! >The only thing that matters for consumer is >price/performance and availability. >>Michael J. Don't forget stability! :-lolIntel has always been known for stability while AMD has had its issues in the past. I'm not sure what caused it....but IMHO it probably had to do with the VIA Chipset.Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Most interesting logic but I rather have a glass of wine ...Michael J.

AMD XP 2700+ is more on par with Pentium 4-2.8 GHz guys! A 2.66 P4 is not in the same playing fields....... :-xxrotflmaoBest Wishes,Randy J. Smithcrvm@iwon.com" A little learning is a dangerous thing"AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ] K7S5A MB |[b]GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

I have been an AMD guy since the first commercial I saw for the AMD chip (which was a train going through some guy's living room, or something close to that), but my FS9 upgrade will most likely be Intel. I wont say it will be Intel because it will depend heavily on the price, but I figure by July when FS9 rears its head, Ill be able to get a speedy P4 for a decent price. Hopefully a couple of new video cards will be out by then and I can have what is the cream of the crop now, by then. I am just not overwhelmed or very happy with the performance of my 2000+. I havent used Intel for a long, long time, and look forward to trying it out this summer.Craig

Guest Fly1

This may be rather tame and a little dated, but I just up'd my mobo, cpu, and ram from an AMD 1.4 mhz to an XP2700, using an ASUS A7V8X and PC2700 ram for just at $500 (Including nextday airfreight). Then tossed in the evga4600, and I am well impressed with the performance and stability. May not be the bleeding edge, but for the price it's great!! I will probably trade the mobo and ram to a 333 fsb and PC3200 when the prices come down a little more.Bob C.

>>AMD XP 2700+ is more on par with Pentium 4-2.8 GHz guys! A >2.66 P4 is not in the same playing fields....... >:-xxrotflmao >>Best Wishes, >Randy J. Smith >crvm@iwon.com > >" A little learning is a dangerous thing" >>AMD XP 2100 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ] >K7S5A MB |[b]GF3 64 MEG |WIN XP PRO >|MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19" Actually the P4 2.66(533) beats the XP2700 about half the time in video game tests.Your "XP2700 is more on par with a P4 2.8" comment is totally inaccurate.Go here: http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1783&p=14XP2700 on par with a P4 2.8 :-lolShane

Ark

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest Max Cowgill

Shane, if money is an issue and you're comfortable with overclocking your system, get a cheap Athlon XP Thoroughbred B (2100+ or faster) paired with an Nforce2 mobo and some PC2700 or faster DDR RAM and you'll have one screamin machine for not a lot of dough. I just put together a nice Athlon XP 2400+ system (which I have overclocked to 2270MHz) and boy does this thing fly! I picked up the CPU, 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM, a Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB, MSI KT3 Ultra 2 mobo, Hercules Fortissimo III, 20GB WD 7200RPM HD, 16X DVD drive, case & 300W AMD-approved PSU, keyboard, mouse, & Logitech Wingman joystick for well under $1000 (and that was paying retail prices!). If you were to pick up similar components online you could easily save a couple hundred bucks over what I paid. I'm thinking of getting a new monitor, mobo, & video card to make this thing really fly ;)OTOH, you could always do the same with a P4 setup, you might pay a fraction more but the speed would be there too.

Guest Max Cowgill

>Actually the P4 2.66(533) beats the XP2700 about half the >time in video game tests. >>Your "XP2700 is more on par with a P4 2.8" comment is >totally inaccurate. >>Go here: >http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1783&p=14 >>XP2700 on par with a P4 2.8 :-lol >>>Shane It sounds as though your mind's already made up there Shane ;) Were you really fishing for advice or just troll-baiting? Not trying to start any arguments here, just seems kind of odd to start off a topic asking for advice and then post the above... Oh well, to each his own! Best of luck in choosing a new setup :)

Honestly I don't know ANYTHING about overclocking...it actually kind of scares me :-lolAs far as my mind being made up...I wish it was. This decision is really tough. On one hand I can save money and overclock (if I knew how, lol) on the other hand I can go out and drop some cash on some nice hardware and not have to upgrade for a while (I usually only upgrade about every 1.5-2 years).I do admit the P4 2.66(533) looks really nice. Very close to the XP2700 and $40 less in cost. The stability of Intel has always impressed me but so has the cost of AMD (now it seems like they are charging more).The XP2500 Barton just came out and that is probably very nice as well! And probably not to much money...Decisions...Decisions.......Thanks for all the help so far guys :)Shane

Ark

A couple of months ago I upgraded from an AMD 1800XP on Asus A7V266-E to an Asus A7N8X Deluxe (nVidia nForce2 chipset, USB OK!) with AMD 2600XP@333. Besides that I change videocards from GeForce2 Pro 64 to ATI Radeon 9500 Pro. All of these are items just below the top performers of today. But I am very satisfied. As I live in Holland I usualy fly to/from EHAM. Any Dutchie uses the famous freeware NL2000 scenery. This one is known for good quality and detail with relatively low FPS, aspecialy on large airports. My old system gave me around 8-9 FPS on EHAM (every setting maxed) while my current system delivers 13-17 FPS. And that IS a big noticable difference! I'm enjoying FS a lot more now.Anyway, the nForce2 based board with an AMD processor delivers good performance and perfect reliability. When I just got it, I ran Sisoft Sandra burnin tools for several hours. Not any problem. I would definately consider this chipset/processor combination.

Guest Max Cowgill

Shane, as I said earlier, you'll no doubt find a good value either way you go. Take whatever route you'll be the most comfortable with, don't feel pressured into going one way or the other. If you'd be happy with an Intel system, go with Intel, don't feel like you have to give AMD "a fair chance." CPUs are so fast and so cheap now it's almost impossible to make the wrong choice whether you choose Intel or AMD. You'll hear people from both camps claiming "my CPU is better than yours neener neener neener" but what it all comes down to in the end is whether you're happy with the choice you make. A few years ago we wouldn't even be having this conversation and now there are two major MPU manufacturers with products covering all ends of the spectrum and prices that everyone can afford. What better time to be choosing a CPU?Oh, and if you'd like to learn more about overclocking and get some free performance out of whatever CPU you choose, check out some of the following websites: www.hardocp.com www.tomshardware.com www.anandtech.com It may seem like a daunting task if you've never done it before, but it really is as simple as going into your bios and changing a number. Don't worry about blowing anything up either, modern CPUs and mobos have safeguards built into them so it's very difficult to hurt any of your components unless you remove those safeguards.Good luck!

Guest DanWalloch

I'm building a new pc......yep, thats right for FS.P4 2.4Ghz 533Mhz FSBAbit SR7-8X mobo512MB PC2700 Ram120GB Maxtor 7200 RPM HD ATA/133128MB Radeon 9500Pro 8X AGP16X DVD-Rom500W Raidmax PSUCTX 19" CRT montiorcreative audigy gamer soundcardFor all USA simmers looking to upgrade, I would like to suggest buying from newegg.com. Great prices or dirt cheap shipping on tons of items! I ordered my new case, fans, ram, cpu, mobo from them. Having ordered my cpu and mobo on 2/26 I got just got them yesterday 2/28....2 days from california to wisconsin! And with free shipping!After all is said and done, I will I'm looking to have spend under $1200 for my entire pc.....everyting including new speakers (yet to be determined)

Yeah, but if it costs similar nowadays for the same level of FS performance on the two platform types, actual clock speed is irrelevant.

Always interesting to read all the different views everyone has.So, now I have descided to build my first. I want to build for high performance and stability. Now knowing this suggestions please.Anyone's view on this: Abit IT7 MAX2 v2.0 i845PE motherboard?ThanksJay_____________________________________________________________________