Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot533

Changing the shape of an aircraft fuselage

Guest Pilot533

Is there any program that can I can use to easily change the shape of an aircrafts fuselage to a rounder shape? I don't know computer language and have never designed an aircraft or even repainted one before, is there a really steep learning curve for what I am trying to do?

Guest ThrottleUp

To do that you will need access to a 3D program like 3DS Max or GMAX. Both programs require you to spend quite a bit of time learning them - specially if you are new to it. Until about a year ago (if Im not mistaken) GMAX was free, but then all that changed and sadly that is no more the case.If you wanted to modify an existing flight sim plane then you will also need the original source file of the plane in question. For example the GMAX file for a Airbus 320.Other on here know more about this than me though so Im sure you will get more informative replies!However I gotta ask - which plane do you want to modify to give a rounder fuselage? :)

Guest Pilot533

The feel there 737, the shape is incorrect. Can you also use fsds?

Guest ThrottleUp

Oh yes that one, many have commented on that shape when it came out. Im not sure about FSDS. Im wondering if one needs the source file of the plane. For example a GMAX plane would be recongnised by GMAX as a GMAX object and I guess you can tweak it from there?......not sure though.FSDS is an older program I think.

Guest Pilot533

Well according to their website you can use it to shape an aircraft, but i dont know about the source code.

"The feel there 737, the shape is incorrect. Can you also use fsds?"You can't use either FSDS or GMAX--reason being is it's a commercial product and thus quite unlikely that the source would be lent to you to change the fuse shape. Beyond that, it's not a task for a beginner--changing the shape of a part would also change the way the textures are laid upon it, and also the other parts that adjoin it may no longer align properly. Assuming you had the source, that would determine whether you'd use FSDS (2 or 3) or GMAX, since the source used by both programs is proprietary.-John

Guest Pilot533

Ah I guess there is no hope for the fuse shape then.

Guest ThrottleUp

Check out the Posky 737NGs! They have got the external shape spot-on, fun to fly too :)Get them all here on Avsim.

HelloWell he would then have a correct fusilage shapeBut no detailed systems FMC Virtual cockpit.How is it fun to fly a NG without any boeing systems modeled?

"Well he would then have a correct fusilage shapeBut no detailed systems FMC Virtual cockpit.How is it fun to fly a NG without any boeing systems modeled?"It must be lots of fun--thousands of downloads can't be wrong. :) But given the collaborative effort these freeware offerings are, I would suggest you offer your expertise and bandwidth to build a "detailed systems FMC Virtual cockpit" for POSKY. -John

Wouldn't it be easier to design a merge file to use the POSKY fuselage rather than design a detailed virtual cockpit?Merges have been set up for other payware aircraft where the user felt another external model was superior to the model offered originally.To the original poster: perhaps you can rephrase your question to ask for help in how a merge file is put together.Bruce

"Wouldn't it be easier to design a merge file to use the POSKY fuselage rather than design a detailed virtual cockpit?"You can only merge a 3-d model with a 2-d panel, such as the merges that were done with the Ariane product. You can't merge a virtual cockpit into another 3-d model as MSFS (FS9) doesn't support the use of two mdl files to define interior and exterior views. So at best the original poster would be able to merge the Feelthere 2-d panel included with the package into the POSky project. However it could be more complicated, as some advanced custom panels are geared around a specific FDE. Some FDE's don't match up properly to certain 3-d models because of differences in points of origin and require a fair bit of work.-John

Hello JohnI was not being critical of the POSKY Aircraft. Only commenting on the fact that original poster having purchased a complex addon such as the PIC 737, may not have an interest in flying an aircraft without the correct systems in place.I would guess that most users of PIC 737, PMDG 737 or Level D 767 would not give up their complex addons to fly a better looking model that looks great in spot view but lacks in sytem modeling.I would think that the many users of the above addons start off with the default airliners then POSKY ect, then in a bid for more realism go the payware route.No critisism of freeware offerings intended.

"Hello JohnI was not being critical of the POSKY Aircraft."Thanks for explaining that--does make sense...-John