Sign in to follow this  
scootersm

FScene vs Ground Envrionment Pro

I don't want to cause a fight just looking for opinions on which one is the best and why. I like to have pro's and con's to both then I'll make up my own mind. I'm going to stay with FS9 for now. I have FSX. Do you lose performance anything like that you can think of. I plan on getting active sky 6.5, If I get the Ground Env I'll get Flight Env. and Ultimate Terrain. Would FScene be as good as those 3 combind.3.2 Ghz P4HT, 1 MB DDR, NVIDA GeForce 7800 GTX 256 MB, Sound Blaster ZS2.

Try the demo for FScenehttp://www.fscene.com/demos-flyable.htmlI only tried the demo, but Ground Environment Pro looks much better to me. Anyway, don't get ground textures mixed up with Ultimate Terrain and Flight Environment. Those do something different. UT does coastlines, other water and landclass, while FE does clouds, sky, and some other things.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest Mr Chips

In terms of the UK, I think that FScene looks more realisitic than GE. GE has some rather unrealistic subdued colours and US style crop circles (not the mystic energy/alien/college student ones). However, the FSScene autogen alignment patch caused my setup to put buildings in nearly every field and the towns have a US style grid pattern which I really disliked. Overall GE is excellent with autogen which wins it for me.

Maybe a good landclass will fix that UK problem you have. My UK running GEPro looks stunning.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Yes, that's the point I was trying to make, your ground textures are only as good as the landclass you have with it.

Craig from KBUF

Yep, you need better landclass. There is nothing wrong with the GE textures in the UK if your landclass is upto it.I have UT Europe landclass for the built up areas and for everywhere else I have the free uklandclass from R.Taburet over at the 'other site'.Stunning combination with GEGlenn

I have both. GEPro gets my vote.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VSantiago de Chile

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest PPSFA

"I plan on getting active sky 6.5, If I get the Ground Env I'll get Flight Env. and Ultimate Terrain."Add in Genesis mesh and you will have the best of everything.

Guest Mr Chips

I have UT Europe and MyWorld 2004 with the appropriate landclass sandwich patch. It looks great (barring the minor texture glichs I mentioned), it just doesn't look as realistic as FScene, but as I mentioned FScene is seriously flawed in other ways.BTW, I'm very fussy!

Im Thinking of Getting Ground Envrionment Pro 2 , the only thing stopping me is i have seen the tutorials and it seems a bit complecated to make all the ground textures ( or is it easyier then it looks ?) and im worried about having textures in the wrong place eg fields were there should be towns and towns were there should be fields etc . I like the idea of making new Sky texures as im always playing around with the sky ,dusk and dawn sets from Active Sky and FE (settled for Fixed 63 for Dawn and Dramatic fixed 0016 for Dusk from AS 6) and wondered if you get to look at them first before you install erm . All in all GEP2 looks good if its easy to do .... Rich

ugcx_banner.png

Guest PPSFA

The testure sets are easy to make, they just take some time to do it. Check the info on the Flight1 forums as that is where GEP does dupport

>im worried about having textures>in the wrong place eg fields were there should be towns and>towns were there should be fields etc .That has nothing to do with ground textures. That is a landclass issue. For example, with GE Pro I just flew down to many areas of South America. Now, I have no landclass for that area, and everything looks very bland and not very realistic. It has nothing to do with any ground textures. Ground textures determine what particular areas look like (farmland, urban, etc). Landclass determines where those particular areas are actually located.

Craig from KBUF

Ahh i doint have any Landclass files as such .. just the default so it might be a problem , there again if it follows the default it should be ok right ? . Rich

ugcx_banner.png

Hi Rich,I can do a bit of support here also!For texture sets it is pretty easy, You enter the number of sets you want generated and then GEP does the rest. Yes, it does take awhile, so we suggest doing this at night or when the computer will not be used for some time. Lastly, you do a defrag of the HD and then you are all set!Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/Active Sky V6 Development Team Active Sky V6 Proud SupporterHiFi Beta TeamRadar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com/AirSource Member: http://www.air-source.us/FSEconomy Member:http://www.fseconomy.com/

I've used both FS Scene and GE Pro textures. Here's my observations and opinions....FS Scene:Textures have quite a vivid colouration and you'll see much more variation in the textures between global regions. As has already been mentioned, the autogen placement is a little strange, even with the FS Scene autogen patch.GE Pro:Textures are more subdued in their colouration, and the variation between global regions is more subtle than the FS Scene textures. GE Pro textures have more of a photo real appearance, in my opinion at least.As has also been said, ground textures are only as good as their associated landclass. If you combine a good mesh, with Ultimate Terrain coastlines and MyWorld 2005 landclass both texture sets will give you absolutely stunning results.One thing to bear in mind though - if you use addon scenery packages that have photoreal terrain areas (such as the Georender series) then I find the GE Pro textures blend much better with the photoreal elements of the addon scenery.