Sign in to follow this  
Guest fyrestrtr

Landing in strong tailwinds

Guest fyrestrtr

Anyone have any tips in landing in strong tailwinds? Thanks to ActiveSky and in no small part to FS9's EXCELLENT WEATHER RENDERING CAPABILITIES ... my fully aligned, configured and on the landing path perfect 777 managed to land first on the left hand rear gear, then with a "thud" came down on the rest.Rather shaking experience for the pax; as I had to stand there and smile as if everything was normal.

Just wondering why the active runway would be with a tailwind?You should be landing at the other end of the runway. Unless it's closed for some reason like obstacles or something......Glenn

Tip on landing with strong tailwind is "don't". If your ATC is working well with AS, you shouldn't be instructed to approach with a tailwind.How do you know it was a strong tail wind? Avionic? ATIS? or "feels"?

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Guest fyrestrtr

Sorry, I realized I miss spoke.Not a strong tail wind, but a strong gust of wind that hit the tail, and tipped the plane over.So either wind shear or just a nasty crosswind.In my dual monitor setup -- I had the external view and when looking at my PFD, I noticed the variance and then I verified it with the external display and sure enough the left gear touched, then after what seemed like a few seconds, the other three came down, the right hand main first, then the nose.

Turn around and land into the wind!

Guest fyrestrtr

Sorry for the confusion, I was landing at the right runway, just with strong wind conditions that ruined my otherwise good (for me) flight; and I guess I'm partly venting and partly asking for suggestions on how to avoid rough landings in such situations.

* add some airspeed - 5 to 10 kts. (there is a system to this in 'real world' that uses the expected gust strenght and the crosswind component; what i list is 'good enough for FS'.) if you add enough speed you may need to reduce flaps.*all aircraft have a max wind (head, tail and cross) for taxi, landing and takeoff. see this for 737 - http://www.b737.org.uk/limitations.htm* go-around. this is what real pilots do -http://www.komotv.com/home/video/4911216.html?video=YHI&t=aorhttp://www.weather.com/multimedia/videopla...2&tab=3&nav=141same vids above, just different sourcesthere is also this classic -http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Air..._Video-116.htmli've read that in crosswind conditions pilots want a 'firm' landing 'to stick to the runway.' i'm sure there is a limit to how 'firm' you land ... but in FS repair services are quick and 'free' ;-)--

D. Scobie, feelThere support forum moderator: https://forum.simflight.com/forum/169-feelthere-support-forums/

Guest PARADISE

Some days you're going to have rough landings, even with perfect weather conditions. Even the pro's will misjudge one now and then, especially at congested airports with short runways. KDCA and KLGA come to mind here in the USA. I had a captain literally run from the cockpit after he made a fairly hard landing at KDCA so that he was the first off the airplane. Leaving me sitting there for somewhat shaken, but not stirred passengers, to pass by and give me some akward looks. I learned then and there that after a not so perfect landing to just keep the cockpit door closed until everyone has disembarked.Hope this helpsJohn M

Guest fyrestrtr

Your comment made me chuckle as I could almost see the expression on your face like ... 'what tha ... where did he go?'Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate your time.Cheers,

Guest Phantoms

Maybe he had filled his pants and was running for a bathroom?:)