Sign in to follow this  
Cpudan80

Problem with KATL AFCAD

Guest Phantoms

If I change the freqs and Idents (from IATB to IOMO for example), will the ILS still work in FS9? Will these not affect the changes Jim has made to get the ILS working for his new KATL?

Guest Phantoms

>I installed Jim Viles ATL AFCAD and it is indeed very nice. >Adds 10/28 which is cool. My problem is that it also adds a>fictional ramp and terminal area between 10/28 and 9R/27L. >I live in Atlanta, and that terminal area ISNT there. >Perhaps its planned for the future. If I personally would>like to install it...in the future. Its not accurate now.Or the roads and landclass going through the new section of the airport.

Guest Phantoms

After having 2 flights land on 10 and 28 respectively (the ILS does work), I've decided that this KATL isn't quite ready enough for me. Jim needs to add some flattens and excludes to counter autogen, roads and mesh (the approach lights float). I look forward to his next version, but for now I'll just do without 10/28.

Just FYI, a brand new KATL scenery that looks to be of fly tampa quality will hopefully be released this month from a new developer. Keep watching the major flight sim sights.

Eric 

A GB here, a GB there, and pretty soon you are talking about some real disk space!scott s..

You can change the ident of an ILS facility that is tied to a specific runway end, that will add a new ILs with that ident but the original ILS ident is still active.I just worked on a change for a new airport that wasn't in FS9 (KUTA in Tunica, Miss -- guess the gamblers need a longer all weather runway) and it is close to Memphis KMEM. KMEM used to have an ILS on the same freq as part of runway 17/35 (no longer exists) and even though the runway is deleted in the KMEM AFCAD, the old ILS is still there and it causes the new one at KUTA to turn off on the gauge when the aircraft was within 2.2 nm of it.scott s..

The road is actually I-285 and that IS there. Its covered over by bridges.

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

I was pointed to this post by a e-mail.i am seeing some issues that are not part of my original upload. Lets first make sure that we are talking about the KATL for FS9 ONLY.There is also a KATL for FSX that I have on AVSIM and they are NOT interchangable. DO NOT MIX the files for KATL using some FS9 and some FSX bgl's. Make sure you pick the right download for the right FS version.I cannot see each persons computer and how the files were installed but for those that are seeing deep valleys and I-285 going across the runway 10/28 you have problems somewhere else in your default FS9 that has corrupted the land class files and photo scenery that KATL uses.My FS9 KATL is using a texture under runway 10/28 that rids all autogen/roads. KATL uses a photo picture for the ATLANTA area so it is very important that no 3rd party mesh is interfering with KATL. There are also proper flattens for KATL so if you have deep vally's my flattens are not being read properly by someone elses non-compatible mesh.KATL is based on all FS9 default ground elevations and textures. If changes have been made prior to installing KATL you could see problems with the ground and roadways. Also if you had someone elses KATL installed and then installed my KATL, then in some cases when files are left behind you end up with distorted ground.Many files and downloads for FS9 are backward compatible even though they appear to work ok. My files are 100 percent XML FS9 type files and it is very important that you have nothing installed by 3rd party that uses old style coding. The FS9 default KATL is not forgiving like most airports based on the Photo scenery MS used for this airport.My KATL was released as a future version. There is no TERMINAL F or G at Atlanta yet but is in the planning stages and slated to open in 2009. There is no South Cargo Terminal yet but also is in the Master plan.When I added runway 10/28 it was not finished in real world so I had to use fake ILS IDENTs and Freq's. The approach code was not yet released so my ILS does work both VMC/IMC but is very basic with no Transistions.If you change the ILS freq for RWY 28 to 111.75 the ILS will not work do to KLZU RWY25 ILS. They are the same and one interfers with the other (already noted above).Like most I had no plans of making a update to KATL for FS9 because all my effords have been put into KATL FSX.I have had request to make KATL for FSX look like real world. My first upload does have the commuter terminal which is being worked on now at Atlanta but in the next several days there will also be a lighter version (real world KATL uploaded to AVSIM). The FSX version has many new AI Traffic behavior features never done before in FS9 or FSX. Even if you can't run FSx you should read the Readme on how my FSX KATL is working.i will monitor this post and help out where I can if you are having problems with my FS9 KATL. If needed I may be able to go back and make a lite version and add all the new RNAV STAR arrival Transitions that were released in NOV 2006 (in my FSX version) and also fix 10/28 with the correct ILS freq.

Guest Phantoms

Jim, I do have mesh installed as most with FS9 here do. The taxiways, tarmacs and new runway are flat, just not the areas in between and around them. There, the mesh is not flattened. In fact as one picture shows, the approach lights are floating. I'm running FS9's stock KATL photo scenery with no add-on Atlanta sceneries. I am using mesh as noted and the road and landclass is probably a result of Ultimate Terrain (which adds accurate roads, rivers , etc.). There is also autogen being created inside the new grass areas. An exclude for the new grass areas should take care of that, along with a flatten for the entire new area of the airport. I installed as per the instructions and the buildings, new runway, taxiways, etc. all showed up as well as the new ILS worked. It just had the issues I described above. I'm sure a flatten for the entire new area and an exclude for all areas except the new buildings would take care of the problems. I uninstalled as per the instructions and everything was removed from where it was suppose to be (as well as putting the default afcad back in place), so I'm sure I didn't miss any files on the install.One more thing. I'd like to thank you for posting. Many authors create a great add-on and then you never hear from them regarding supporting it afterwards. I don't blame them one bit as it's freeware and they have a life outside of FS. The ones who do stay on top of their creations I admire even more.

Jim, your work and your effort is great. as a guy who lives and flies regularly out of ATL as a passenger, its excellent to have the new runway. It would be also great to have a light FS9 version that is current, real world. Best regards,Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

@PhantomsThank for the e-mail or I would have not known what some of the issures are.I did not test KATL using any 3rd party mesh and only flatten under runway 10/28 so like you say a new larger flatten will correct that problem.The default elevation does not drop from North to South like real world and when you add the mesh which is a more accurate elevation (as seen in your picture) there is a difference in runway elevation vs ground as seen to the leftside in the picture.I did make FSX elevation correct so I now need to do it for FS9.If I add the concrete apron over the runway/taxiway that should help with I-285 and make the road look more realistic as it comes toward RWY 10/28. Again I tested only against the default ground of KATL.One of the problems in FS9 which is not in FSX is the use of Photo scenery at major airports. Some 3rd party scenery developers untick the airport listed in the FS9 Scenery.cfg so the photo no longer shows. This allows for their new ground textures to be used. I am trying to keep the Photo scenery in KATL active.@ejoinerCorrect me if I am wrong but probably the best solution is to create (update) KATL the way it looks right now (real world) in FS9 and add the fixes that Phantom is pointing out.This would also add all the new STAR RNAV Transistions released since 10/28 opened and I could fix the ILS freq both at KATL and KLZU. I would have to move all the commuter planes back to Concourse D North end.What about all of the Jetways. In my version of KATL I used Shez's but they decreased FPS more then FS9 stock Jetways when there are that many. I can use FS9 KATL default Jetways (better FPS) and maybe set a stagger NORMAL DENSE setting for them.Any thoughts?The FS9 update would also get the new Control Tower that is 400 ft AGL and some additional GUID's.

Hi Jim,First, thanks for this scenery. I'm a "very" frequent occupant on DL flights from KMLB almost every week and manage to pass through KATL at least twice a week, so I am all too familiar with how KATL looks and you nailed it. I also like seeing how it will look in 2009. I knew about the International addition but had no idea they were going to build a new commuter terminal.I would love to see you update your scenery but would agree with you on Shez's jetways. They look beautiful but they are frame eaters. Also adding in an apron over 285 would help out. Adding in the RNAV's would be great, as well. Homebound on Fridays heading out west, they seem to use PNUTT3 a lot and I just love those close in 90 degree turns.Anyway, thanks, again, for all of your ActileILS sceneries. They are really good additions.Best,

Gerald

EAA #: 1317747

i7 8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.5GHz); ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming ; RTX 2070 Super Turbo 8GB; 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3000MHz; 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2; 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Series SSD; 1TB WD Black HDD; Win10 Pro 64; P3D 4.5

GeraldAs soon as I get the lite version of FSX up on AVSIM (this week) I will update a realistic KATL FS9.My FSX has all the aprons over I-285 and a GUID to interupt ground traffic so it does not cross over the 10/28 runway (no animation in FS9).Approach Transistions (pdf's) are in the FSX download.FS9 Transitions off the STAR arrvials were never accurate (real world) so those will be added. Arriving from KMLB you normally enter the CANUK (newer version) STAR over Jacksonville, FL (CRG or AMG ALMA VOR). Landing East puts you on a downwind of KATL descending to 8,000 (parallel to 10/28) after crossing HUSKY at 14,000ft. I have coded all Transitions off the 5 major STAR's so each one will lead you (same as real world) to the IAF for the active East or West.

Guest Phantoms

Jim, that's great to hear. Looking foward to the update. On a OT question, do you find FSX easier to design for? Is there something like afcad for it yet?