Sign in to follow this  
Guest gwelf

Add on Aircraft

Guest gwelf

I am new to this forum so forgive if this question answered before. In FS9 how do I add an aircraft to either this programme or the microsoft combat Fs ? My big Brother flew Lancasters in WW2 so I am keen to get this aircraft into my system. Thanks.

Guest ThrottleUp

Hallo & welcome :)This is the manual way of doing things using Windows Explorer1. Look inside your FS2004 folder usually C:Program FilesFlight Simulator 20042. You will see a folder called AIRCRAFT 3. Open it and you will see all the planes inside it that you already have.4. Any new planes you get must be placed inside this AIRCRAFT folder.5. New planes sometimes come with gauges that go into the main GAUGES folder (Flight Simulator 2004Gauges)**6. If they come with effects they must be inserted into the EFFECTS folder (Flight Simulator 2004Effects)When adding a new plane manually ensure that the folder has this structure, we will look at a Lancaster for example, my arrows describe what they are:------------------------------------------------------------------Avro Lancaster <---main folder-model <---Lancaster model data file is in here-panel <---instrument panel-sound <---engine sounds-texture <---paint scheme-lancaster.air <---air file-aircraft.cfg <---configuration file (NotePad readable)------------------------------------------------------------------Now some new planes come with *self-installers*. They are just like the installers you see for other Windows programmes. Just start em up (they usually automatically detect your FS2004 installation) and it does all the work for you.So after you have installed your Lancaster the path should look like this:------------------------------------------------------------------C:Program FilesFlight Simulator 2004AircraftAvro Lancaster------------------------------------------------------------------**Sometimes the gauges can be left within the panel folder of the aircraft.Hope this helps a little. Remember to have backups :)

Guest gwelf

Thanks for that. I don't seem to have the files you are mentioning so maybe the download I got is not complete. Now looking for a decent download and would appreciate if anybody can point me in the right direction to be able to get a complete download. I don't mind if this costs me as I would really like to get this aircraft in my system.My older brother flew the Lancaster in WW2 and was awarded the DFC for bringing it back badly shot up to UK. Thanks again for any help.

Guest Rob Hirst

Usually if you download an aircraft (or any other file for that matter) there is a readme file contained within. This file will give further information on installation which is specific to this file. It may tell you where or where not to put any gauage/effects files. Many freeware aircraft files do not contain any additional gauge or effects textures and so are not present in the download.The example you have given may well be a complete file, it's just that it uses default textures and so there are no further gauage/effects files to install.Good luck

I'd think twice about the JustFlight Lancaster. I waited for months for the release date and bought it right away. I'm sad to say it was a complete disappointment.The first thing you'll notice is the mushy skin detail. It's simply not a nice looking plane. Five years ago it might have been acceptable, but for $40, it's unforgivable. To me, $40 is the top level of add-on cost. For that price I want an add-on that will knock my socks off. This ain't it.Also, the plane came in several variation, and most did not even have a 3D cockpit. They had nice 3D radio stations in the middle of the plane, but only generic 2D cockpits. For the life of me I cannot imagine what the guy was thinking who put thought that up.:-badteeth "Hey, I have an idea! Let's leave out the part of the plane where you actually fly the plane and put in a nice 3D box in the middle of the fuselage instead. People will love that."They have released a patch for the JustFlight Lancaster, but when a 115 meg patch is released for a 125 meg aircraft, you know something ain't right.Some people think the JustFlight Lancaster is a very good add-on. I'm not one of them. Especially for $40. You can buy far, far superior planes for much less money.*Mind you, JustFlight lived up to their word and gave me a full refund on the Lancaster. Excellent customer service. Friendly and fast.