Sign in to follow this  

New DDR 2700 ram - FS2002 crashes

I just went from 768 DDR PC2100 to 1 gig DDR PC2700 and now FS2002 will not run for over a minute of two before I encounter and error and it shuts down.I built this system a couple of months ago and have had no problems at all: Asus A7N8X board with built in NVidia digital sound, AMD XP2400+ chip, 2 512 DDR PC2700 RAM, 8X AGP video, Windows XP Pro and FS2002 Pro.Would this be a system problem or XP? The system boots like a rocket with no errors. When I switched out the memory there was no problem and also tried clearing CMOS. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. For the minute or two FS2002 run the detail of scenery is amazing.Thanks for any help,Denny ONahsville, TN

Denny,Your killing your chipset with all that RAM. Most new chipsets these days including the new "400 FSB" ones don't run well with more than 2 sticks of RAM. Take your new RAM back to the store, there is nothing you can do about it.FS2002 is saturating the memory bus with too much information and your chipset is coughing and dying. This problem can happen with any heavy-duty app such as a game, right after a person adds a new stick of RAM.Just as you found, removing the stick and your computer/FS2002 works fine.-matt

Hi there,apart from Matt's suggestion, you could try running your RAM at the same FSB as your CPU, which is 266MHz for the XP2400. If you have the default BIOS that came with your motherboard, just change the setting from 'optimal' to 'aggressive', which will automatically synchronize your RAM FSB speed to your CPU. This should enable you to use your additional RAM, and get a boost in performance as well, as far as smoothness is concerned - ideally your CPU and RAM should run at the same speed, so upgrading to faster RAM will not give you much of an improvement, unless you upgrade your CPU as well.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Guest Ron Freimuth

>I just went from 768 DDR PC2100 to 1 gig DDR PC2700 and now >FS2002 will not run for over a minute of two before I >encounter and error and it shuts down. ...........................>Denny O >Nahsville, TN I have found that adding more ram to computers often results in memory errors. The RAM drivers aren't able to handle the increased load of more ram. They should if you aren't overclocking, but that doesn't mean they do. Further, I see that FS2K2 never takes more than 200 MB of ram in my Windows 2000 system. In fact, if I pause FS2K2 and then minimize it ram usage drops to 20 MB. It increases to only 35 MB when I reopen the window and unpause it. Slowly increasing to or past 100 MB as I do spot views, etc. I have 384 MB of system ram, and a lot of it is always available for 'other stuff' when running FS2K2 in Win2000. I expect XP is similar. Thus, a large amount of ram doesn't help FS2K2 and may mess up the stability of the HW! More ram may result in a larger 'system cache', which means scenery is read ahead more and might be available faster. In fact, that cache is too low in my Win2K, dropping to 80 MB at times. I found running in Win98 that it took about 110 MB of disk cache to read ahead dense scenery enough to reduce HD access. Ron

I changed the setting in my BIOS to AUTO and the board put my memory at the 266 bus speed. I didn't think about that when I bought it. Just an excuse now to buy another chip!It did help a little but FS2002 will only go about 5 minutes now. I was able to take off and then it stopped. I run all settings for scenery, etc. at max. I use Radar Contact and several airport scenry addons and the and the extra ram has always made a difference every time I make an increase.There has to be some little setting somewhere that will correct this. It is also making Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player crash. Not all the time, just every now and then. I loaded XP again last night to see if it would correct itself. Guess not.If you have any other ideas I would like to try them.Thanks!Denny O

There is no reason that your machine should not be able to handle a gig of RAM. I just can't go with the "memory bus overload" theory.PC2700 should be VERY stable at 266. I've been running 1 gig for quite a while without problems.I also custom build computers and find that 99% of all my memory related problems come from buying the cheap stuff. If you're not already, try running Kingston, Mushkin, or even Corsair.There's some good Micron stuff around too.

I agree. I used Kingston this time and usually use Crucial. I built this system myself, as I did my last three, and don't feel it is at all the system. Everything else is so fast and works fantastic. Really just the Microsoft programs. That is why I feel it is a simple setting somewhere. Sure wish I could fly! I am sinking into depression.Denny O

It is probably a BIOS setting. As an avid overclocker, FS maniac and system builder, I have encountered motherboards that are finicky to memory timings. MSI is known for that. Go into BIOS and set memory to conservative settings, i.e. "By SPD", "Normal", etc. Stay away from "Fast", "Enhanced", "Turbo" settings. 4 Bank interlieve is probably OK. Look at timings carefully, even if your memory is suppose to be CAS 2 try CAS 2.5 or 3. Same with other timings. See if this helps. I have IWILL and Jetway boards with VIA chipsets that allow me to run my DDR2400 at amazingly fast timings, but on my MSI board with SIS chipset, I must slow it down a lot, very strict memory timing tolerances.Good Luck.MSI 645 Max-U (SIS 645DX chipset) latest SIS drivers and 5.2 BIOSIntel P4 2.53/533 OCD to 2.83/595 with Intel retail cooler @ 32c idle 42c under full load350 watt PS, mid-tower w/ 1 intake 2 exhaust fans (negative pressure) 512 MB OCZ DDR 2400 w/ copper heat spreaders @ 298 mhz CL 2.5 Abit Siluro GF4 Ti 4400 275/550 OCD to 300/600 nvidia 41.80 Drivers and NVHardPage(1280x960x32@85hz, SBA 128MB, Quincunx AA, 2x AF, Aggressive, High)Maxtor 30GB HD ATA 133 32 bit addressing NTFS w/ seperate partition for FS2002SB Live X-Gamer/ Altec Lansing ADA-305 Creative Live Driver Pack 7/02Alcatel USB DSL modem (using USB 2.0) 1146 Kbit dn/221 Kbit up Windows XP Home, SP1, tweaked to minimum services and fixed 1 GB swap, DX9.03D Mark 2001SE - 12,795, SSS 2003 - Dhry 7223 MIPS, Whet 3610 MFLOPS, PR Rating 3.108FS2002 with all sliders maxed all boxes checked, real world weather and AI.DreamFleet 737-400 is only aircraft flown.Simflyers scenery for all airports flown.Numerous addon City sceneries.Radar Contact 3.0 for ATC.Lago FSAssist for pushback.FPS locked at 30, 15 on ground in traffic w/ AI, moving gates/vehicles etc. 24-30 airborn depending on weather, view, altitude, etc. Smooth, realistic and full of eye candy.

Too much memory??? Is that a joke?I used to run 2gb of PC2100 for a LONG time till I upgraded and got PC2700. Now I run 768mb (ran out of money :-lol )The only OSs that have a problem with excessive amounts of memory is Win98(1st and 2nd edition) and Windown ME (don't even get me started on WinME! LOL)Your system should have no problems running 1gb of RAM. Try moving the RAM sticks around into different slots and see if that works. If that doesn't work, try your system with each stick of RAM and try to see if one of the sticks is causing the problems.Hope this helps!:)Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

No its not a joke. Read Anandtech and Tom's Hardware. New chipsets (esp. VIA, eg. KT333, KT400, etc..) have had a regular habit of coughing and dying with more than 2 sticks of RAM. I notice the suggestion about keeping your motherboard off the "Fast" or "Turbo" settings. Yes that could have a major difference, but if you can run Turbo with no problems, and your RAM supports it (eg. Corsair CL2 DDR) then more power to you.But don't be so quick to dismiss chipset stability, don't take my word for it, go read for yourself. It was these specific issues which are a concern when I add more RAM to a PC. My personal opinion in regards to Anand's and Tom's finding with stability is manufacturers use cheapo' heatsinks on the north bridge, and when run with an excessive application(s) it could be led to overheat with the stress.Ron, you make a good point in regards with RAM usage, you guys with more than 768MB are throwing your money down the toliet. I ran with 640MB for more than year and I never saw a difference between that and 384MB before I upgraded.-Matt

I have 2 systems right now (one is in use, the other I'm using for spare parts), both are VIA KT333 and both have/had 2 or 3 sticks in them at all times. Never had any problems with either. Not to mention 6 guys in my IL-2 squad run VIA KT333 chipsets with at LEAST 1 gb of PC2700 RAM and none of them have problems either.Win2000 and XP should be able to run with at least 1 gb of RAM. I don't buy into that "too much RAM" theory.And how is having more then 512mb of RAM throwing money down the toilet?? Next time you are in FS2002 flying over a busy city go check your RAM usage. In some games coming out, like IL-2 forgotten battles, 512mb of RAM is reccomended as the MINIMUM amount. Why? Large maps, lots of ground clutter, weather, etc... What else do you need a lot of RAM for? well, take me for instance, I like to do repaints of aircraft, which means I have photoshop running in the background of FS2002. I don't want to have to close photoshop down everytime I want to check my repaint progress. That is tedious and a waste of time. No offense, "but having more then 512mb of RAM is like throwing money down the toilet" is kind of a ridiculous statement. By saying that you are generalizing that everybody uses their computers in the same way and that ALL of us have no use for more then 512mb of RAM. I have 1gb right now and I would never think of going back to 512mb!! In my system I see a difference and the difference is gooooooood :-lol;)Shane

Ark

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Being the economist, since I never get any money, I try to avoid multitasking that requires more than 512MB ;)-Matt

>Being the economist, since I never get any money, I try to >avoid multitasking that requires more than 512MB ;) >>-Matt LOL!!!Good point!!!Touche my friend, touche!!;)Shane

Ark

My thanks to all that have answered. I am using the Asus A7N8X Deluxe board and I have never overclocked. To much of a chicken I guess. I changed to BIOS on the memory from SPD to AUTO and the clock speed went from 166 to 133 I asume to match my CPU speed.I am goin to try and reload FS2002. I have no indication anywhere it is a hardware problem. All the tests I have done get a positive result.As I said in an eariler post, I have all the settings in FS2002 to the max. I use Radar Contact, SimFlyers airport scenery, Dreamfleet 737, Project Fokker, and just about anyting else that comes up on AVSIM that I can download.And with all of that going on, almost every time I upgrade the video card or RAM I see something new that I did not before. Aircraft detail, scenery detail, etc. I will reload FS2002 now. Denny O

IMHO Denny it *is* a system problem, i.e poor stability.All this talk of too much RAM is a load of tosh, however too many sticks of RAM can/will cause problems especially at current RAM speeds. The speed is so fast that timing signals are critical and this is where instability comes in as mo/bo & chipset designers try to get everything running at the same high speed.I recently changed my mo/bo to a K400 chipset one that will take PC2700 RAM so I bought 2x256 sticks, major brand but not Crucial or Kingston. The system struggles to boot and when it does falls over shortly after Win98SE loads.Remove one stick and things are fine. Now this doesn't mean there's 'too much RAM' it means that the mo/bo cannot cope with those 2 sticks of RAM. It may work with some other manufacturer's RAM and it may work with one stick of 512MB RAM, but not with the 2 sticks of 256.You could try manually setting RAM timings down from optimum and you could try increasing the RAM voltage a bit see if that gets the RAM working but I suspect you will be i nthe same boat as me.